Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Is this a sign never to do this again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Default Is this a sign never to do this again?

I spent $50 on scratch tickets, and won $50 back.
Is this like a sign, saying don't gamble - you got lucky this time?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a sign saying that you should spend that $50 on the Monte

Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Couldn't have been said better, I suppose.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by pizzarrhea
I spent $50 on scratch tickets, and won $50 back.
Is this like a sign, saying don't gamble - you got lucky this time?

Pete next time your at the quick stop and have the urge to scratch just look at who's buying them, watch them waddle back to the slightly dented rust in the seams old tbird or neon with the bush lied and obama bumperstickers. watch them open the creaky door and fall in ..fire up a smoke and scratch (eventually the ticket) watch the disapointment on thier face and ask yourself if you have anything in common with them. Strole over and thank them for supporting the schools system with the donation or purchase and walk away smiling because you still have $$$$$ in your pocket...people who seek wealth without putting in the work will always end up failing and grasping for handouts. your better off earning you way and being a self made man. that way you owe no one

Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Wow, you really know how to paint a picture with words man.
I don't see myself buying anymore of those.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In my opinion, you got really lucky. The trick is most people get 2-3 of each ticket though. At one time, if you bought about 20 of the same ticket, you ran a much better chance of catching that odd one that had the winner on it. If you ask me, it's all a tax on people who cannot do math. Look at the statistics on the MegaMillions and PowerBall. You're more likely to die falling out of bed, die by lightning strike, etc. But people go "THIS COULD BE MY LUCKY DAY" and buy them. The same people also buy a carton of cigarette knowing they have at least a 50% chance of dying by lung cancer as a result and say "That won't happen to me" and puff away.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You guys really know how to kill a moment don't you?

Okay, I don't buy lottery tickets. Well, not regularly. Why? I can't afford it. And I've always thought the $$$$ was better in my pocket then someone else's. (the reason I don't speed)

I did hear on the radio like a month ago they were thinking of starting up a national lottery. Can you image the people who will jump on board for this???????????

Where was it I heard, "IF you start putting $5/week in a bank account when you're 20 years old, by the time you're 65 you'll have enough money to retire on."

But most people think they can beat the odds and win big money in the lottery.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 AM

I work hard for my money and love to buy a scratch off now and again. I figure I spend about $2 a month on average. I did win a 1000.00 once. That was cool. Guess it is the same reason I like going to vegas or reno nevada and gambling away. Sometimes I win more times I lose, but I have fun. Chronic gamblers like Tim talked about are a different breed. You work hard for your money. Spend it wisely, save, but don't be afraid to have a little fun.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by rj
Where was it I heard, "IF you start putting $5/week in a bank account when you're 20 years old, by the time you're 65 you'll have enough money to retire on."
I am on the right track then. I have 3 retirement accounts going that money is put into each month.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

The thread began discussing scratch offs and lotterys which I believe is just another program created by state goverments ( most of which out law gambling until they find ways to tax it ) with the huge sign saying it.s for the kids!!!! were going to fund the school systems and give the public relief from high taxation. but instead of being additional funding for the schools it became a replacement fund and the original funding found it's way into further goverment waste.. in the meantime the majority of the public buying these dreams of a better life are the lower income who need to put the money to better use. like getting anykind of trainning that could help them get a better paying job or carreer so they can join the rest of the tax paying public...
Vegas, Reno or Atlantic City , horse track or Indian gamming are all forms of adult entertainment a get away or reward you treat yourself too with cash put away for that purpose......lotterys have become the same as tobbaco to the states...they kill the lower class and provide states with tax revenue

Quick Reply: Is this a sign never to do this again?