Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Should I Join The Army?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Default Should I Join The Army?

Just had a conversation with my Mom and I am putting thought into it again... I was thinking about joining a couple years ago and backed out just as I was about to sign the dotted line. Now my Mom is telling me she thinks its a smart move for me. To be honest I don't have a problem with it but there are a few small things that concern me that would bother me when I would be away. 1. My dog, she's attached to me like white on rice and to be honest if it wasn't for her idk where I'd be today. I know it sounds really lame but she's going to be 5 this year and if I get a 3yr leave and come back, who's to say if she'll even be alive?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 PM

If I could get back on Active Duty I would in a heartbeat. But they won't take any prior service above E3 right now so that's not an option for me. It'd be good for you. You'd learn a lot and come out a much more mature person than everyone else your age. Only downside to that is you can't really relate to most people your age anymore. That's the boat I'm in and why most of my friends are older than me. I just don't see things the way most people my age see things.

Good luck with your decision though. But if you do enlist, please make sure you pick an MOS that transfers straight to the civilian world w/o having to attend college first. My MOS (supply) does transfer but only if you have a degree. I went unemployed for over two years when I came off Active Duty because of this. It sucked big time. If I had to do it over again, I would have either gone in as a medic or as something computer related.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No don't go in, can't you see all the poor people fight the rich mans battles. Do something else with your life, if you do not score high enough for certain job slots or MOS's they will put you in combat arms and life will be bored to death one moment and scared to death the next. Most combat arms slots are poor people, and I would bet made up of 75% minority men looking for a way out of the cities. Many ex-soldiers wish they had never went and are protesting against anymore unwarranted wars. Military suicide rates are way up, the stress levels can be unrelenting. I played in Uncle Sam's jam for 09 years 82nd Abn. 13F3P Forward Observer 73-83, slipped through the cracks of having to drop a trigger on anyone, I'm glad I did not have to. Now I realize I was nothing to the military but an expendable weapons system. You die, they kick you into a hole and yell "Next!".So in my opinion save your own sanity and life, DONT GO!!!! unless your ready for someone to run your life 24-7 and some NCO's go way over the top ragging on you, Not just your Basic Training or A.I.T. but also at your permanent duty station. They think they are God himself. I was an NCO E-6 SSG, gung ho, honor grad from leadership schools, NCO of the month (Bn. / Bde.), driver of the month. Really played the game, but was way cool to my men, then got out and have had my eyes open as to what the War machine is really all about... Death and destruction. And as to why we are going about the world fighting this bogeyman they call a terrorist is anyone's guess. Like the war on drugs, no one will ever win, but it still goes on......

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 AM

I've had great NCOs throughout my career, my issue has been (with one main exception) terrible leadership from the Officers.

War sucks, and what we have going on right now is BS, but at the same time I know I wouldn't remotely have the leadership or initiative that I have now if I had sat in a college classroom for 4 straight years. That's been the most difficult part for me is adjusting to the ineptitude of leadership in the civilian world. It drives me up the wall to be quite honest. Not sure when or where someone decided that a college degree automatically makes someone a leader but it's a crock of crap. The people with the drive and initiative rarely get recognized in the corporate world because some lazy SOB in management takes credit for it.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 AM

You dog is not a prob. I was in college for 5 years dogs still knew me when I got back. And they lived to be 16. The army is what gives us our right to do what we want and protects our soil. I almost did it myself and I have a bachelors in Mathematics. Im 4F because I blew out my knee in football. Army pays for housing, food, and debt plus gives you a paycheck. even at low ranks this is like a 30k job if you add in benefits. Army is good for anyone physically able to do it. pick a mos that suits you because it will be a long term choice. If not army then other branches if you are worried about getting shot at. In today's economy with allot of ppl unemployed and living off the government military is a solid way to be a benefit to society. I got a 98 on asvab and was trying for intelligence which is 2 years of training then the 4 year contract. In the end decide whats right for you. I say if your not working full time atm military is the way to go. That way you are at least doing something. It will also give you training in fields so you can get a job afterwards. Exp. diesel mechanic, they teach you how to work on them and fix em and when you get out you can get a job working on diesels as a civy. And same mos as coast guard you can get a high paying job working on tugboats and big riverboat engines. I know alot of people in the military and depending on MOS they like what they do if they dont after contract ended they changed MOS and stayed in.

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 03-03-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM

Yeah that's why I mentioned for him to choose his MOS wisely. Diesel Mechanic is a good example. I got a 96 myself and had my choice but I was limited by the units close to me since I initially came into the Reserves instead of going straight to Active Duty.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:03 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it's an honorable move. I don't think your dog will be a problem. Do what you feel is right.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Service did me a lot of good. I do it all over again looking back. My son's best friend is in the Army as a tank driver. He loves it. Service is not for everyone though. Take some thought on it. I feel today with the economy and how hard it is even for a collage grad to get a job, the service is a good call for a young man. word of warning though, when you are in boot camp every one thinks "WHAT THE HELL DID I GET IN TO???" but that too will pass

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM

Hi J.W.,
Good Luck in whatever you decide...It's your `LIFE 4-Sure.
It's great that you are doing your research & asking questions b-4 you sign your life over to the military
It is a major decision that if you join, your can't quit...They control your freedom for the duration of your enlistment....Check the below link & research this subject on the web...
Pros and Cons of Joining the Military - Ask.com

I hope the above helps

Last edited by Space; 03-03-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 AM

I have a bachelors in Mathematics with a minor in science. I work at a grocery store. All college did was put me 30k in debt. Military is what I would do if I could.

Quick Reply: Should I Join The Army?