Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

She's so pretty....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default She's so pretty....

this is most likely going to be my college car for the next 4 years unless i win the lottery or something.

1989 chevy cavalier. 4 bannger, auto, with 27783 miles on it yes only 27 thousand.

also in the pic you can see how oxidized the paint is but nothing a go polish cant fix, you can see on the hood i have allready started a bit and this is even after two power washes.

best part it was free so i have no complaints

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: She's so pretty....

i don't think you're going to polish taht door out.

you got to make due with what you got... have fun in kollege

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I love the custom door graphics.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM

i love KOLLEGE!!! so then is your monte away now?
i clicked on this thread hoping to see some girls bent over your monte!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 PM

hey dont knock those cars. i have seen some done up really nice, most of it was done to the inside of them to make a stereo car out of them . but with some rims, tires, buffing and polishing and some touch up paint (for the door) it would look really good.
And for the price you can not bitch to loud.

I would love to find one of those right now looking at the winter and another week of rain comming at me lol
the bike is great but kind of cold in the mornings and wet when it rains lol

Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Mickey it might need a little more than touch up paint on the door. I agree though that is a great college car and free is the best price. You could get a new door at the junk yard and be way ahead if you wanted.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:31 PM

I have been looking for like two weeks in junk yards and online stores and ebay and cant find a single door(the passenger side is even worse)from a 1989 cavalier. I tried seeing if another model from the same year or a different year door would fit but i had no luck finding any info. So if anybody does have any info let me know please.

the monte will be getting its final wash and wax on tuesday morning and then go up on blocks in a bubble out at our familys farm and there it will sit for most likely 7 or so months it hurts just thinking about it.

also i was think a spray paint paint job on the cavalier. I am thinking flat blackand then spray paint the wheels as well and i would be set.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I would try the spraypaint idea. That way, if it looksdecent you can sell it to anotherkid looking for a college car and get a better "beater". Thats what i did with my 1983 Cutlass supreme. Ripped off thevinyl roof (not much work needed for this part, seeing that the vinyl was all but gone anyways, spray painted the entire car (1983 faded, oxidized champagnewasnt a real eye catcher)and presto chango sold it for $1500. along with the $1500 i saved, i was able to get my 95 mustang V6 with 17" Cobra wheels, dual cat back exhaust, and lowered. Guy even sold it to me for $2900, so i used the extra 100 to get a coolant flush and a oil change. (do that with all my new used cars.)

Trust me, it was like going from a chevy aveo ( with all of its whopping 103 horses) to a corvette. I actually think my stock stereo system in my monte has more power than that car. It'd be a close race.

Moral of the story is, We all know what your going through with the beater. Im sure we all have a story about one, or 2....or 3. haha. a car is a car.....some just get you there faster, and some get you there faster with a girl in the front seat. On the bright side, you'll be able to buy whatever you want after college

Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: She is so pretty....

Great find for free. Can't complain on that.

Makes me wish I had my 91 Cavalier Z24 back.

There should be plenty of doors out there for your car.

Your door is interchangeable with 1988 to 1994 Cavalier, and 1988 to 1994 Pontiac Sunbird.
The only thing you should have to change is the interior door panel. But that's if you care about matching the interior. Oh yeah, and your door locks too. LOL. That would blow if you put the new doors on with the doors locked, and you didn't have the key for the new doors. LOL.

There's lots of products out there that will bring back some respectability to the oxidized paint. Maybe not showroom condition, but better than what you started with.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2963/0D7A4A67D15247D78544DB69AB58619B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
rj
15 Year Member
Default RE: She is so pretty....

If the door has turned to scale, but not rusted through it should be possible to repair the rust.

If you don't feel like sanding, grinding, sanding, wire brushing, sanding, then sanding even more once the rust has been neutralized a heavy primer will fill a lot of the pot makrs left by the rust. So the surface will be smooth enough to lay paint over and not look like you just painted over rust that is.

You sure can't beat the price of the car.

If you need someone to stop over and take your Monte out to keep it lubed up, I'm willing to help.

Quick Reply: She's so pretty....