Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

September 11th, 2001 -- No politics or conspiracy talk!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Default September 11th, 2001 -- No politics or conspiracy talk!

I thought I would create a thread dedicated to the 10th anniversary of 9/11, since most of us are North American.

I will start off by what I was doing at the time the planes hit.

I lived in inner Houston and was in 1st grade at the time. The school decided not to show the news because they didn't want to frighten the kids. I got home about 3:30pm and my grandmother had been glued to the TV screen. The was the first time I saw the towers fall. I can't remember much, other than I didn't understand what was happening. My dad was released from work early because of the attack.

The images of people falling, waving shirts.. the 9-11 calls... it really burns me up inside. It's like I want to do something about it, but you are powerless. That's probably what the 9-11 operators felt that day.

I am somewhat thankful I was young at the time and hadn't understood what had happened.

It's very likely I will be joining the service, particularly following my brothers footsteps into the army. He will be deployed to Afghanistan in April 2012.

Anyway, that's my share. I don't feel like poking around politics and religion, so I won't.

But above all, stay away from conspiracy theories. I know a girls brother who was killed in the WTC's, and she is extremely offended when someone mentions inside jobs. I have seen first hand what damage that non-sense puts onto relatives of those innocent victims.

anyway...

Here are some images of the Freedom Tower

Pentagon Memorial

Flight 93 Memorial

_____

Feel free to contribute any stories, pictures, mentions of service men and women overseas. I have to sleep but I will work more on this thread tomorrow.

Last edited by Zuzmaw; 09-09-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: 2 pic's removed 2 large & hanging up thread : (
Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 AM

Tuesday September 11,2001. I was working. I had just started a new job at Walt Disney World. I had been employed at Disney since July 19,2000 as a front desk host at Disney's All Star Music Resort but the week before the towers fell I had accepted a position in the engineering department as an A/C Plumber apprentice. This was to be a four year apprenticeship program and I was to begin my engineering career at Disney's Port Orleans Resort and The Disney Institute(now called Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort)..
On the morning of September 11th I had been given a work order to go assist one of the journeyman kitchen mechanics to remove a commercial stove from one of the class room kitchens at the institute and replace it with a new one. We arrived at the job site just before nine a.m. And we decided to unpack the new stove and determine what we needed to do to get it into the building with the assistance of a few more guys we manhandled the stove and got it into the kitchen. We were now unhooking the old stove when someone ran into the kitchen and told us to turn on the TV quick. We went into the next classroom where there was a big screen. We plugged it in and watched in horroras the first tower was burning and it was announced that an accident had just occurred and a jet air liner had crashed into the north tower. We watched the news coverage and a few minutes later the second jet crashed into the south tower. From then on we knew that this was no accident. Soon after that we started hearing the report that the Pentagon had been attacked. Within the hour of those reports the entire engineering department was called back to our home base. We were told that these were terrorist attacks. We were also told that no one knew what was happening for certain or what was being targeted but that the Disney Resorts and Parks were on the list of terrorist targets. We were instructed not to panic. We were also told that we would not be released from our shifts until further notice. We were told that all four theme parks were closing soon for the safety of all and to assure our guests that we are taking every possible precaution to keep them safe.
The not knowing was horrible. It was hard to tell our guests they were safe when we didn't know from one minute to the next if we would have a plane dropping on us. It was the first time I ever thought that being around Mickey Mouse wasn't cool.
I know this thread isn't about politics and religion. It just makes me wonder how many shady things our government is and has been involved with in the pursuit of wealth (oil) and the spread of democracy, that could create such hatred in men that they would create this much terror and give their lives while doing this to innocent people they don't even know.
That was one of those moments in my lifetime that I will never forget. It is similar to the two space shuttle tragedies. Won't forget where I was and what I was doing then either. Very sad days indeed.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm at work right now on my cell phone. So I'll save my long "where were you" for when I get home, and I get on my computer.

I didn't think this thread would start this soon. But now's as good a time as any.

I do want to say this though...

This thread was started with a "in memory" and a "where were you when" theme to it. Please keep it that way. I don't want any conspiracy or politics in this thread. If you want to discuss conspiracy theories and politics, start a new thread for it.

I mean it now. I'm not joking.

ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS OR CONSPIRACY THEORY TALK IN THIS THREAD!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was at work when the news broke. I was angry and felt compasion for the poor families involved. I went to the Navy recruiter's office after work to re-enlist.The recruiter chukled and told me I was too old.

I just kept thinking what a horriable way to go for those people and how very angry I was.

MAW thanks for starting this thread.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Taz

ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS OR CONSPIRACY THEORY TALK IN THIS THREAD!
Amen

Originally Posted by Tadcaster

MAW thanks for starting this thread.

Thanks `Mat, (The youth of America speaks out).
* Sorry I had to remove two of your pictures that were to
large for this thread & hanging up)
=================================
To me it's very Sad, that so many have to live in Fear
in the U.S.A. & our World..

Are you prepared...Click the below link to learn.
Are You Ready?

An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness
FEMA: Are You Ready?
^^^

Last edited by Space; 09-09-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 AM

I was 23 and at home on the west coast asleep when the first plane hit. My mom called and told me to turn on the t.v. I then watched in horror until I had to go to work. I will never forget that morning, it was a beautiful morning outside and I felt guilty driving to work when people were dying, I wanted to be there helping. At work I turned the tv and watched the news all day, only had 2 customers come in the office. I would have preferred closing the office that day, but the owner was against it. This year I will be standing on the street watching the parade. Our small farming community of 10,000 is hosting the run to the cascades with an estimated 3-4000 motorcyclist showing up. They are planning a parade with a bike for every person killed in 9/11

Old 09-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already. Even harder to believe that I've already been in the Army for 7 years now.

As far as "where was I" goes...

I was a freshman in high school (for those trying to do the math, I enlisted at age 17 immediately following my junior year of HS). We were in our first period class and had a subsitute teacher. One of the regular teachers came in and said "Oh my God someone turn on the TV." So we turned on the TV (we were barely in range of the Bowling Green, KY ABC affiliate and it was a little fuzzy but clear enough that we could see what was going on) about a minute before the second plane hit. At that point I knew it was no accident. I already knew at that point in my life that I was going to serve in the military (runs in my blood, mom's family is probably 70% veterans) and my blood boiled at that point. I'll never forget that as long as I live. I can still remember exactly what seat I was sitting in at the time too. My grandpa can still remember where he was when he heard of the Pearl Harbor attack (he was 9 at the time) so he knows how that goes with the memory and everything. I like to write from time to time in a blog so I'll probably write something on Sunday when I have a chance to sit down.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I was a sophomore in high school. Ironically I was in my American History class, we were talking about something, and my teacher was called into another room. He came back, told us to close our history books and turned on the TV. He said here is history happening.

We were all shocked. The worst part was that I was sitting next to a boy who's father went to help. He had no idea, his Dad WORKED in PA. His mom called and they dismissed him because his father went. He was devastated, as we all were. His father did pass away that day.

It's a terrible shame, especially worse with all the talks about another attack on the anniversary. It is a damn shame this stuff had to happen.

My thoughts and prayers are with every family mourning on this anniversary.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM

While I doubt there will be another attack on Sunday, I'll have ALL my gear (Kevlar, IBA, EVERYTHING military related that I have) ready to go just in case. If it happens we'll be recalled to active duty instantly. Drill this weekend is a one day drill so I'll be home Sunday. I'll be washing my uniform when I get home Saturday and have all of them hanging and ready to go. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Guess that's why I'm an NCO; my job to think of that kind of stuff.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

While I type out my "where was I" and such. Here's a couple videos I think are must see's. Click the links.

David Letterman – from the heart Sept. 17, 2001 (his first show after 9/11)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6fZtz5oC4&feature=related

Paul McCartney & All Star Band – from the Concert For NY (2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17qFKXSMiw

The last two videos are very good. But contain video and images from the news, taken during the attacks. If you'd rather not re-live the images from that day, don't follow the links.

Garth Brooks "The Dance" – Sept. 11<SUP>th</SUP>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlX4FPJiB3U

<O:p</O:p
9/11 – I miss you daddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0tzBVOEBto&NR=1

Quick Reply: September 11th, 2001 -- No politics or conspiracy talk!