Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like it ?
I like it & would buy one : )
44.44%
I don't like it at all
11.11%
I would test drive one..
33.33%
I won't waste my time looking or driving
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Scion FR-S. - What do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Scion FR-S. - What do you think ?

Scion FR-S Concept - Special Report

More details on the long-awaited spiritual successor to the rear-drive AE86 Corolla.

By Sam Mitani / Photos by Brian Blades

Slideshow >>
Poll: Scion or Subaru? >>

<!--/photos-video-wrapper-->
<!-- /Main photo wrapper --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->FT-86 Poll: Scion or Subaru? >>
5 Questions with Troy Sumitomo >>
“High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectations,” so said the noted inventor Charles Kettering. If that’s true, then Toyota’s future compact sports car is going to be one impressive machine. The buildup the company has created for the car, which began more than two years ago, transcends that of the release of a Hollywood blockbuster or even a royal wedding.
We first saw the compact front-mid-engine sports car at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show as the FT-86 Concept, and no less than three other variations have appeared since, the latest one called the Scion FR-S. Spy photos reveal that the final production model, which will make its appearance at this year’s Tokyo Motor Show in October, will look very similar to the Scion FR-S show car. It’ll be approximately the same size as the last-generation Celica.
While we’re excited by the release of the production FR-S, scheduled to reach dealerships in the summer of 2012, we wonder if the car can meet the high expectations cast upon it by Toyota and the media, or end up being the automotive equivalent of Waterworld.

The concept of the FR-S was borne from the passion of Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda, a car enthusiast of the first order. He stressed when he took the top job in 2009 that “excitement” and “passion” were missing from the company’s products and needed to be restored quickly. One item on his short-term to-do list was to bring back an affordable sports car, one that embraced the spirit of a car called the AE86.
Among import-car enthusiasts, the AE86, produced from 1983 to 1987, is legend. While there have been other sporty cars in Toyota’s history, the AE86, dubbed the Hachi-roku (the numbers “8-6” in Japanese), stood out because of its inexpensive price and rear-wheel-drive layout. In today’s world of high-performance sports machines, the car’s specifications were nothing to write home about. The Japan-market AE86 (Levin and Trueno) came powered by a 1587-cc inline-4 that produced 130 bhp, which translated to a 0–60-mph time in the high 9s. That said, the lightweight car possessed features that were only seen on more expensive cars in its day, such as dual overhead cams, an optional limited-slip differential and vented disc brakes. As a result, it became a favorite for tuners and racers, developing a cult following among import enthusiasts who didn’t like that Toyota had switched to front-wheel drive for its replacement.
When it came time to plan for a new AE86 for 2012, Toyota pulled an ace from its sleeve. It turned to Subaru to develop the engine and chassis for its car. This collaboration is the result of Toyota’s investment in Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. So why did the world’s largest automaker turn to Subaru? We asked the folks at Toyota, but they were not forthcoming with a clear-cut answer.
“The car is still being developed at the moment so we can’t comment on exactly how much they did and how much we did. The team at Subaru has a lot of experience in motorsports through the participation in World Rally Championship. They have developed innovative and original cars with a pretty unique engine, which is one of their core technologies,” a spokesperson for the company stated.

Translation: Toyota felt Subaru could make a better high-performance sports car in this price segment.
The heart of the FR-S will be Toyota’s version of Subaru’s FB20, a water-cooled flat-4. Although Toyota hasn’t released technical specifications on the FR-S yet, we were able to dig up quite a bit of information about the car. Displacement will be 1995 cc, and it will feature Toyota’s D4-S direct- and port-injection technology. The 16-­valve powerplant will produce about 200 bhp at 7200 rpm and 150 lb.-ft. of torque at 4600. It will come mated to a 6-speed manual or a conventional torque-converter 6-speed automatic. The obvious choice for enthusiasts will be the manual gearbox. According to Toyota, it will feature short throws, which will help the car hit 60 mph in roughly 7.5 seconds, making it as quick as the Hyundai Genesis Coupe; however, go the automatic-transmission route, and it’ll take you nearly 9 sec. to get to 60 mph. We expect the car to tip the scales around the 3000-lb. mark.
The future Toyota sports car promises first-rate handling. With the anticipation that many FR-S owners will increase engine performance, the car’s suspension and body structure are being over-engineered to handle the possibility of added power. We predict that the suspension will be similar to that of the Subaru Impreza, consisting of MacPherson struts up front and upper and lower A-arms at rear. Spy videos of testing show the production FR-S to look sport-tuned, but not overly stiff. Based on what we saw on the skeleton model Subaru showed at the Geneva show in March, the FR-S will have a limited-slip differential, the same one found on the Impreza.
While the car’s official name hasn’t been released, we found out at the New York Auto Show that the FR-S will be marketed as a Scion in the U.S. So why does it wear the knife-blade “S” here instead of the three-oval “T?”

The vice president of Scion, Jack Hollis, would only comment by repeating his statement on a press release at the New York Auto Show: “The FR-S is a perfect fit for Scion. Scion owners are the youngest in the industry, and I would argue with anyone that they are the most passionate about their cars.”
Translation: At the time of the decision, Scion was losing momentum. With sales down consistently since 2006, the division needed a stronger halo car than the current tC, a front-wheel-drive sports coupe. Having the FR-S in its lineup would invite slightly more mature buyers (i.e., those with better credit to get car loans easier) and more enthusiast-oriented customers to the brand.
That said, for 2011, Scion sales are up from last year, thanks to the all-new 2012 tC that’s leading the charge.
It’s evident that the FR-S has been designed with the aftermarket in mind. We predict there will be plenty of body and turbo kits available as the car establishes itself in the marketplace, including from Toyota itself via TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and Gazoo Racing (Toyota’s aftermarket arm in Japan). And don’t rule out the possibility of a super high-performance “F” version somewhere down the line. That said, the stock version of the car will be tame enough to appeal to a wide range of customers, from beachgoers to weekend drifters. The FR-S’s price tag is also expected to generate broad appeal; we’re hearing it’ll run in the $20,000 to $25,000 range.

On paper, the FR-S looks like a sure winner—stylish, quick, rear-wheel drive, tunable and affordable. But what will ultimately determine the fate of the FR-S will be something that can’t be measured or seen on paper, namely personality, charm and a unique character—the same traits that defined the AE86. Toyota’s sporty cars have lacked these qualities in recent years, but with Subaru’s help, perhaps it can recapture the magic that spawned cars like the AE86, the Sports 800 (nicknamed Yota-hachi) and 2000GT; if so, the FR-S will definitely meet the expectations of car enthusiasts everywhere.

<!-- right column --><!-- at a glance --><!-- /at a glance --><!-- car make:Scion Car Buying Guide- RoadandTrack.com has Scion Car Buying Tools \nmake state: published \ncar model:http://buyersguide.roadandtrack.com/scion/fr-s \nmodel state: hidden \nshowlink model: \nrelated_items count: 0-->Scion FR-S »

» Overview<!-- » User Ratings -->» Photos & 360° View» Specs» Prices w/Options<!-- » Get Quote -->
FT-86 Evolution

1983–1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S: The original AE86 is officially called the Toyota Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno in Japan, and the Corolla GT-S here in the U.S.

2009: Toyota unveils the spiritual successor of the AE86, calling it the FT-86, at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. We also find out about Subaru’s involvement.

2010: Toyota’s Japanese in-house tuning arm, G’s, introduces a tuner version of the car months after the original made its debut. This one is called the FT-86 G Sports Concept.

2011: Toyota shows us another FT-86 at the 2011 Geneva Show, this one with more flair than the version two years earlier. This led to the introduction of the Scion FR-S in New York, a few months later.

2012: Our version of what the final production version will look like when it comes out next year. This image is based on recent spy photos of the car.

<!-- /rt-col -->
<!-- tags, pager -->Pages: 1 Photos

Old 07-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Scion FR-S Concept Is So Hot, We Can Taste It

By Justin Hyde, Jalopnik
After the most difficult gestation since someone decided “Spiderman” needed to be a musical, the Scion FR-S Concept finally appeared at the New York Auto Show, carrying the hopes for a true compact rear-wheel-drive sports car — actually coated in candy.

The latest iteration of the Toyota-Subaru joint venture known as the FT-86 appeared with a body that makes a pledge to uphold Toyota chief Akio Toyoda’s pledge to put some passion back into the company’s vehicles. Blunt, smooth and compact, yet with the long hood of a proper rear-wheel-drive car, the FR-S should easily be the most handsome Scion ever, when a production version appears within a year.
Toyota only revealed partial information about the heart of the FR-S, saying it would sport a 2.0-liter boxer engine of unspecified power tweaked with a Toyota direct-injection system, paired with six-speed transmissions of either manual or automatic stirring.
It’s such an attractive car — the kind of sports coupe forgotten in a rush to fuel savings — that we could almost taste it. Apparently it would taste pretty sweet, according to this line from the press release: “The FR-S Concept is layered in rich coats of Code Red, the appropriately named color that consists of a custom blend of candy and a developmental additive from BASF called Mearlite SSQ.”
Scion. First with cars you want to lick.
Photos: Tony Yang/Jalopnik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...nfo-auto_shows
^^^Click above for Car & Driver Photo's/Vid Report ^^^^^

<!-- start short bio --><!-- end short bio -->

Last edited by Space; 07-27-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM

Tokyo 2010: Toyota FT-86 G Sports Concept with 2.0-liter Turbo ...

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>carscoop.blogspot.com/.../toyota-ft-86-g-sports-concept-with-20.ht...</CITE> - CachedSimilar
Jan 18, 2010 – The FT-86 G-Sports Concept that made its world debut at the Tokyo Auto Salon boasts an array of upgrades the most important being the ...

<LI class="g knavi">

<TABLE style="WIDTH: auto" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>2010 Toyota FT-86 G Sports Concept - Top Speed

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width="1%">

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
.....................................The `End ............................
Member's, post your thoughts/comments.
I like sporty coupes & they project this model to be under the $25K price I look forward to seeing one in person, and would love to test drive one

Last edited by Space; 07-27-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:27 AM

I love the styling. If the performance matches the marketing hype, should be a fun car to drive.

Thanks for the info, Space. I hadn't seen/heard anything about this one.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Your welcome `Dave,
I post threads like this to keep our member's informed on what's out there, or what's going to be out there on the highways : )

One of my beach bum friends is really interested in one, and I've checked them out online... It looks like it may be a interesting package (car) of the future `if they keep the price within range of us hard working folks : )
I will try to test drive one when they are released, but will also be checking online...(I don't know how anyone can get bored if they are fortunate to have access to the WorldWideWeb...~>It has everything `if one keeps search'in Thanks for your reply & all your contributions...
We appreciate

Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So... It's a Toyota, but it has the powerplant built by Subaru, and it looks like a Mazda RX-8

No thanks. I'm sure it would be a blast to drive, but no thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM

..Thanks Mod `Mike,
I know that vehicles like this aren't for everyone, but I'm just happy that they are still building them & that we have so many automotive choices in our World.

I also think that they are going to be a blast to drive, plus get decent MPG's 4 the Power that they will produce...

Time will tell if it's a winner or loser...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM

Subaru Teases Boxer-Powered, RWD Sports Car Ahead of Geneva Show - Auto Shows

Finally, confirmation of the layout for Subaru’s hotly anticipated sports coupe.

BY JUSTIN BERKOWITZ, PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRENDA PRIDDY & CO. AND THE MANUFACTURERS
Pages: 1 Photos

Visit Our Buyer's Guide »

Subaru

News & Reviews
<!-- /buyers-guide -->
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The fastidiously watched pot of Subaru/Toyota sports cars is finally starting to boil, with both set to debut in lightly disguised concept form at the upcoming Geneva auto show. Toyota took its turn first in releasing a teaser pic of its version of the jointly developed sports coupe, and now Subaru has launched a microsite showing the outline of its own variant, which the company is temporarily dubbing the “RWD Sports Car.” We have inserted the image of the “Boxer Sports Car Architecture” into our magic photo-lightening machine (a.k.a. Photoshop), and can now clearly make out a swoopy shape with the same cab-rearward proportions that were previewed by Toyota concept cars.
AWD Out of the Question?
Subaru’s microsite also confirms that its new sports car will be rear-wheel drive, putting to bed any lingering suspicions it would be exclusively all-wheel drive as a way of differentiating itself from the Toyota. But not only do we now know that rear drive will standard, the very possibility of all-wheel drive as an option is also seriously in question.
Should the engine be mounted as low as it is depicted here, there wouldn’t be enough space to route power to the front wheels, making all-wheel drive impossible. In addition, the transmission would have to sit behind the engine—a break with recent Subaru practice of installing the gearbox below the motor. This tells us either that the engine’s low placement in the teaser image is an exaggeration, or this new model represents a major change for the relatively conservative brand.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=544><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR><TR class=bglight><TD vAlign=top><CENTER>Toyota FT-86 II concept (teaser image)</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Regardless of whether Subaru’s new baby adds all-wheel drive to the options sheet at a later date, we know that the engine will be the company’s recently unveiled flat-four, possibly with direct injection. It’s a new-generation engine which is touted as being cleaner and more fuel-efficient than the last iteration. Ideally, the 2.5-liter powerplant will be turbocharged—at least matching the 265-hp rating of the current Impreza WRX—but forced-induction may be saved for higher-spec versions. In naturally aspirated form, it likely will make around 170 hp and 175 lb-ft of torque.
More answers, more questions. At least the reveal is right around the corner.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know that Subaru is going to split the WRX from the Impreza line and make it it's own car. I'm interested in seeing how different it is going to be.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I know that Subaru is going to split the WRX from the Impreza line and make it it's own car. I'm interested in seeing how different it is going to be.

Yes, I'm sure the Subaru will have a AWD Turbo version...
I'm looking forward to seeing it & their Road Test Reports
Some renderings of the Subaru version. Nothing official but has been plastered all over the ft86 forums.

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S. - What do you think ?