Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What do you think of The FR-s ConCept ?
I really like it & would buy it !! : )
16.67%
I like `it, but would not buy one : (
33.33%
I really DON'T like it at `all : (
16.67%
I'd have 2 see it & drive it before I can vote/post : )
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"

New York 2011: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"

by Steven J. Ewing (RSS feed) on Apr 20th 2011 at 2:43PM

Scion FR-S Concept – Click above for high-res image gallery

Another auto show, another version of Toyota and Subaru's joint partnership rear-wheel-drive sports car. We saw Toyota's FT-86 II concept in Geneva earlier this year, along with the chassis for Subaru's version of the car. Now here in New York, Scion has taken the wraps off of its FR-S, a sexy little number that rides on this same platform.

FR-S, which stands for "front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sport," (or "friggin' really sweet," according to Jack Hollis, Scion's vice president) is the automaker's homage to the infamous AE-86 Corolla – a car that was highly praised for its lightweight body and superb balance without having to churn out a ton of power. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter Boxer flat-four mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The FT-S rides on sharp 20-inch wheels, hiding an absolutely monstrous set of 18-inch carbon ceramic brake rotors that are fixed to the wheels like a motorcycle. Don't count on those making production...

Hollis says that the FR-S' design is inspired by the legendary Toyota 2000GT, and we can even see a bit of Lexus LF-A in the angular shapes that blend with sleek curves. This is one hot concept, and we're told that it previews a new addition to the Scion family coming in 2012. (Yeah, we know.)

Enough with the drooling. Just give us the production car.

See the sexy FR-S for yourself in our high-res image gallery below, and hit the jump for Scion's official press release.

Gallery: Scion FR-S Concept: New York 2011
Gallery: Scion FR-S Concept

Last edited by Space; 04-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Just saw this car in person at the nyias, awesome car for sure to see in person...definitely a consideration for purchase if I was into smaller cars. Pics to be posted soon

Joe

Old 04-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's about time that Toyota made an interesting Scion.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

hopefully the toyota dealership i detail cars for will get one in if they make them...so i can drive one

Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I wonder if they build that to try and compete with the Hyundai Genesis?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I wonder if they build that to try and compete with the Hyundai Genesis?
They will I bet. I doubt they'll have a 6 cylinder option though.

I think it looks badass, but I'd never buy one. It's a Toyota...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Not a fan at all. Tacky.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

I'm just thankful that we have choices & that they are still creating new future rides...And if the price of fuel continues to climb I think we will see a lot more 4 banger high performance cars in our future....

If that happens, I will miss the sweet sounds of a V8 ~>4-Sure..

Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 AM

I like `it, cause it's kinda spacey
What do you think of the MB Concept ?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class Concept, C63 AMG Sport Coupe at New York Auto Show

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:03 pm

no comments ShareThisPermalink

When Janis Joplin penned the words “Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes-Benz,” she was probably not expecting it to become an actual advertising campaign for the luxury brand. Now more than 40 years after the folk singer’s death, Mercedes-Benz used her song as the focal point of a flashmob-style song and dance performance at the New York International Auto Show when it unveiled a new 2012 C63 AMG Coupe and A-Class Concept car.

The New 2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 Coupe

When the new high-performance coupe enters U.S. showrooms in September 2011, it will round out the C63 AMG family of luxury cars, which already includes the CLS63 AMG and the CL63 AMG. Under the hood, the AMG is powered by a 6.3-liter V-8 engine capable of producing 451 horsepower and accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds with an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph. The engine is mated to a SPEEDSHIFT MCT seven-speed sports transmission that provides different driving modes via rotary ****, from “C” for comfortable upshifts and maximum fuel economy to three sport modes for increased agility and acceleration.

Visually, the C63 AMG coupe shares a confident, athletic presence familiar from its high-performance SL63 AMG roadster sibling. The C63 AMG Coupe has a sinister low profile, powerful shoulderline, and a narrow C-pillar, combined with short overhangs, long hood, steeply raked windshield and a long, sloping roof.
A number of driving assistance systems –ranging from Attention Assist drowsiness detection to Blind Spot Assist — utilize radar, camera, and sensor technology to help monitor and prevent accidents.
The C63 AMG Coupe also features new telematics technology with larger displays, convenient phone book transfer, Bluetooth audio streaming, and a USB interface. The optional COMAND system features Sirius radio, a well as a navigation system with new 3D display with city views, the ability to record and retrace a specific route. Also, specific personal destinations can be saved or imported via an SD card, and four alternative routes can be displayed on the navigation map, one of them an economical variation.
2012 Mercedes-Benz Concept A-Class

As gasoline prices rise, new car shoppers desire smaller, more fuel-efficient cars that do not sacrifice the luxury and features found in larger premium vehicles. Mercedes-Benz promises its Concept A-Class signals the beginning of a new generation of smaller vehicles in the premium small-car segment thanks to its expressive design, luxury features, and efficient engine.

The front-wheel-drive Concept A-Class is expected to feature a transverse-mounted 2.0-liter four-cylinder direct-injected and turbocharged engine capable of producing 210 horsepower while still promising excellent fuel economy. A seven-speed automatic dual clutch transmission promises sporty shifting.
The A-Class Concept might be small in size, but it is not short on features. Loaded with the same luxury and technology as the larger C-Class coupe also introduced at the New York International Auto Show, the tiny car promises to integrate smartphones with infotainment, by providing access to internet radio, email and social networks such as Twitter or Facebook, via 7-inch display and operated by the rotary/push control. It’s also big on style, thanks to large panorama roof, translucent dashboard design, luxurious leather, and brushed aluminum trim.
Safety Is Big In This Small Car
The Mercedes-Benz Concept A-Class will feature LED high-performance headlamps, and the same radar-based collision warning system with adaptive Brake Assist found in other Mercedes-Benz vehicles. A first in the premium small car segment, this system provides a visual and audible warning to an inattentive driver and primes the brakes for immediate braking as soon as the driver presses the pedal.
When Mercedes ultimately commits its Concept A-Class into a production model it will be a lively competitor in the premium small-car segment. To find out more about Mercedes-Benz models currently available, check out TrueCar.com.

Last edited by Space; 04-28-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Below posted for Member JrCar `Brent
(Space 2 `Brent: Contact : )
A New More Masculine Volkswagen Beetle?

Volkswagen finally filled in the silhouette of the New 2012 Beetle today (only the third update ever) just days before the New York International Auto Show, to reveal a sleeker, sportier design with heavy emphasis by Volkswagen on the car’s new-found masculinity. This unveil coincidentally arrives on the heels of a new TrueCar.com study on the differences in car buying choices between men and women, which revealed that 61% of Beetle owners in 2010 were women, indicating that Volkswagen has a lot of favor to curry with male car buyers. Read More…

Attached Thumbnails Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"-beetleblack.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 04-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S Concept is "friggin' really sweet"