Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Sad day, the GPs days are number with me

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sad day, the GPs days are number with me

Well, I'm truly sad about this but the Grand Prixs days with me are now numbered, after hearing all of the things wrong with my car and the parts estimate alone being $700 from the mechanic I've known forever and gives me deals, I knew it just wasn't worth it with the undercar cancer starting in badly, so I went to the Wilbur Ford Dealership and test drove a 2000 F-150 extended cab 4 door (2 lil doors that both actually work!) with a low 65,004 miles. I am getting screwed on what he is giving me for the car, but its time for it to go or stick money in it, anyway I drove the truck and loved it, he wants $7,900 for it so I told him I'd pass at first when I walked out the district attorney was looking at it and the other salesman was in the process of basically selling it, so quickly i talked to my grandparents who have been buying fords for years from there, they called the owner of the dealership and said I would take it and not to sell it to the DA so I'm now technically the owner of a 2000 F-150 ext. cab with 65k and its 4x4, going tomorrow to fill out the loan papers

Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OMG you said the f-word ..

jk :p sorry to hear about the GP. What all did your mechanic say was wrong?

Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
OMG you said the f-word ..

jk :p sorry to hear about the GP. What all did your mechanic say was wrong?
Needed 2 tires which were tore up from inproper alignment, all new rotors and pads, brake lines, alignement, waterpump, rust repair which would have been extensive, gah I forgot the name but when you take of the 3800 cover that black part under it?, plugs and wires, and he listed a lot more I just chose to interupt him and say how much and when the extimat ehit i about fell over, I'm happy I like the truck but the tires look way too puny so I'll eventually get some meats on her lol, didn't wanna get a loan right now but for the price it was worth it

Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wasn't this meant as a winter beater? If so you could probably have fixed most of that stuff yourself minus alignment and brake lines probably. Then just forget about the rust repair since it's a winter beater. It's understandable to just get rid of it though. I hate throwing money into things like that.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM

I think you've set a record for going through cars so fast.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Sometimes it is better to cut your losses. Congrats on your truck.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
I think you've set a record for going through cars so fast.
I'm not proud of this one lol, I wanted the car to save gas as a winter car, not really a beater, so to stuff a lot of money into it would have hurt to me anyways, yeah i think a week with the GP lil over, pretty sad because its a beautiful car, but as stated in the thread already you gotta cut your losses this is a big loss for me but mistakes are meant to be made and leanered form. Lesson is: I'm having everything looked at ebfore I buy it.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM

He's a D.A., he should be purchasing brand new, not used.
Good luck with the truck.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
He's a D.A., he should be purchasing brand new, not used.
Good luck with the truck.
He is one of the biggest penny pinchers I know though, he still drives a 94 lumina, and a 93 Plymouth van, I was suprised he was lookign at it and knew to him it would be pennies so I jumped on it, before signing the dotted line I'm taking it up the street to the mechanics he said its sound slike a great deal and from what he saw driving buy it looks great but he said as a precaution he'll look it over

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM

On a car you can fix everything except for rust. It always seems to come back unless you are doing a full restoration. If you have rust in the undercarriage it is a lost cause and it is best to move on. I hope you really checked out the Ford. Just because it has lower miles doesn't mean it is clean underneath. Take it to your mechanic that you trust and have him put it on the lift. A 2000 is already thirteen years old considering they were sold half way into 1999.

Quick Reply: Sad day, the GPs days are number with me