Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

the S.S. Mickey sails at noon

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: the S.S. Mickey sails at noon

Mickey, Sorry to hear about your sailing incident, but glad you're OK. The car can be replaced easily enough, but we'd hate to loose a member of our forum. Hope you get it dried out and working fine again. Keep dry.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 PM

I know my insurance company, "The Personal" will write off a car automatically if it is the least bit flooded. Thier policy on a salvageable car is to replace every part of the interior's upolsty, engine, trans, and on RWD a breather. For most cars, the cost of this is higher then the book value of the car.

If I were you, I'd try to repair the damages yourself. Insurance companies never seem to give you what the loan is for the car anyway, and they never seem to pay for mods.. Just the book value..

Old 08-18-2007, 11:28 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know Cort had his 2000 Monte totaled out by his ins cause it got flooded. I don't think he as real happy with thecar anyways?

Mickey glad to hear you got the car runnings again.

Once I was driving my dad's car. We had a lot of rain and I hit high water on the way home. It got inside the car. I had to bail the car when I got home cause the water stayed inside.

A long while ago I was coming home one night from a girlfriend's and didn't see high water. My car hydroplaned which was fun it itself. I didmanage to keep the car on the road but just barely.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

im not sure what is going to happen with everythign goign on with the weather right now it would not suprise me if it we dont hear more of this happening soon,

Im still fighting wiht the claim from Feb. when i cam back to teh states and have yet to sing off on it completly.

so another oen would defently set them a blazin LOL
i dont want to see the car totaled out but if that is how they fix it then i guess it happen. i havent called them on it figureing it was not to bad. at least i didnt completly fill the inside of it etc... but i did get the motor wet and you can defenly tell it. it is no where close to running normal right now it is still ideling in gear real ruff. if you floor it it is kool but not at a idel.

Witch reminds me do you all know where to find the firing order on this thing? i have factory manuals and could not find the actual firing order on it. go figure.

I am sure it is in there right but want to dubbel check my work after having all the plugs and wires off of it twice and being as mad as i was while doling it i could have put one in the wrong place easily.

but it spudders and backfires.almost liek the timming is off so i want to make sure it is not somthign i did to it

Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 AM

Mod `Mickey,
I would document everything you are doing. Take pic's, & keep receipts
of all expenses. Just in case you have to turn in a claim to your insurance company.
My grandfather just read your post, and told me to write the above.
Wish you the best, & I hope that everything works out good.
Good Luck,
`Space, my grandfather and the Beach Bum's : )

Old 08-19-2007, 09:47 AM

[align=center]`Mod Mickey,[/align][align=center]I hope the below information helps in some way.[/align][align=center]I know the first article is about buying a flood damage car,[/align][align=center]but it will give you some area's to check on yours.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]

[align=center]Flood Damage: Don't Get Soaked
When Buying a Used Car
[/align]
[align=center]

Take a suspect vehicle to a trusted mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection—professionals know how to spot signs of water damage invisible to the untrained eye.

Click to enlarge
[/align][align=center]CARFAX provides guidance and tips to help you spot vehicles with potential water damage. [/align][align=center]

Click to enlarge

Floodwaters can cause damage to a vehicle's computer and electrical systems, as well as potentially causing anti-lock brake and airbag system malfunctions.

Literally thousands of cars are submerged each fall during floods. During post-flood cleanups, auto insurance claims adjusters "total" thousands of flood-damaged vehicles—meaning the vehicles are considered a total loss. [/align]Unfortunately, that doesn't stop unscrupulous sellers from putting these cars back up for sale. In many instances, these mechanically unsound and frame-damaged vehicles undergo minor repairs and are resold with no notice to the buyer.
CARFAX, an MSN Autos partner and a leading provider of vehicle history information, has compiled the following tips to help consumers avoid cars with flood damage.

[ul][*][align=center]Check the interior—Examine the trunk, glove compartment, dashboard and beneath the seats for signs of mud, rust or silt. Look for discolored, faded or stained upholstery and carpeting. If the carpeting doesn't match the interior or fits loosely, it may have been replaced. [/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center]Turn on—Start the ignition key to make sure all warning lights including the airbag and ABS lights work. Check all gauges on the dashboard to make sure they are accurate. [/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center]Equipment test—Test the lights, windshield wipers, turn signals, cigarette lighter, radio, heater and air conditioner several times to make sure they work. Also, flex some wires under the dash to see if they bend or crack, since wet wires become brittle upon drying and can crack or fail at any time. [/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center]Take a whiff—Smell for musty odors resulting from mildew and look for a well-defined line or watermark. [/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center]Visit—Go to a trusted mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. Always get vehicles checked BEFORE handing over any money. [/align][align=center][/align][*][align=center]Ask for a detailed vehicle history report—CARFAX Vehicle History Reports[b] can reveal many hidden problems in a vehicle's past, including flood titles and will indicate if a vehicl

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM

[:-]Below is from the UK on a flooded Focus....Might help on clean up ? [:-]
Pictures
[:-]

Old 08-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thanks space dude.
as far as writing everythign down oh belive me i am , I do on anythign like this and have all teh recipoets for it also.

mine was not sank like those were mine was on a actual road the whole time or floating over it.

the interstate turnined in to a lake for the most part. not anythign like this .
in reality it was not that bad as far as a actual "flood" gose.
just enough water to make a mess and get things wet in there.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:22 PM

well mickey, i hate to say it but if you cant get it to idle, water was in the engine, and the engine wouldnt turn over at one time. its possible ya hydolocked it and tweaked a rod. might have low enough compresion that it wont fire at idle, but high enough it runs at higher rpm. if you cant seem to get rid of the miss i might try a compression test.

Quick Reply: the S.S. Mickey sails at noon