Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Remembering Dale Earnhardt

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Arrow Remembering Dale Earnhardt

Alright as some of you may know, this is the official 10 year anniversary of one of NASCAR's alltime legends dying in what seemed like a harmful accident on that beautiful day in Daytona.
Dale Earnhardt left a mixed legacy

Some of the stuff they say in this article is sooo true. Like this part...
Instead, NASCAR continues a desperate search for someone to fill that role of hero/villain – a role Earnhardt played so brilliantly that he made those around him seem more fun than they actually were.
“I wouldn’t have been as popular,” Jeff Gordon said of his rivalry with Earnhardt, “and this is something we talk about today with the sport with a guy like Jimmie winning five [championships] in a row. There just isn’t that rivalry.
“We need it.”
Seeing Dale & Jimmie go at it nowadays...now that would be awesome!!!

Here is an article that NASCAR.com posted 3 days after the incident...
Earnhardt dies following Daytona 500 accident

I personally don't remember it when it happened since I had just turned 10 2 months earlier and I didn't see it but my dad saw it in RadioShack while we were at the mall that day. I vaguely remember hearing about it though. When I was young my favorite drivers were Jeff Gordon (bcuz he had the rainbow car lol I still have all of my old diecast) and Dale Earnhardt. I wish I could remember seeing him race on TV but unfortunately I can't =( all I got to remember him by are videos and what not of him. Once the monte is done though, I plan on making an epic 2 week road trip to North Carolina to go to everything & anything dealing with the Earnhardt family, with a couple of extra stops along the way =D I also plan on taking her down to Daytona one of these days too. Was gonna take her this year but didn't have the money too & I wanted to trailer her if I was taking her that far to keep the miles off her.

But anyway there are tons of articles out there...this one kinda touched me though
Fans mark 10-year anniversary of Earnhardt's death

CUP: Earnhardt Sr. To Be Honored On Lap Three Of Daytona 500

...yeah they'd better do something that day for him! I was afraid they wouldn't

Now for some awesome pics in memory
I have this sign..

This pic came from a site with lots of great pics in memory of him, check em out

Probably one of the best known moments in Daytona 500 history

One of the sweetest Camaro's I've ever seen!
Dale Earnhardt 1969 Camaro Rcr 3 Special Edition

Look familiar

Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Nice post on Dale ,I remember it when it happened ,Just doesn"t feel like 10 years ago...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That one sign says he was Rookie of the Year and Champion in the same year. That is not true.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:22 PM

He was the reason I watched nascar...when he died, so did my excitement for the sport

Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 PM

That was a sad day for me

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Earnhardt won his first Winston Cup championship. To this day, Earnhardt is the only driver in NASCAR Winston Cup history to follow a Rookie of the Year title with a NASCAR Winston Cup Championship the next season. He was the third driver in NASCAR history to win both the Rookie of the Year and Cup Series championship in his career, joining David Pearson and Richard Petty. Only 5 drivers have joined this exclusive club since - Rusty Wallace, Alan Kulwicki, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, and Matt Kenseth.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice post Spinem. I was actually in Daytona when he died. We had just gotten back from a cruise to the Bahamas and decided to pass on the race that day, We were wore out. We had decided that we would make a decision as we got close to the track. I really am glad we did but truth is we wouldnt have known it till that evening anyways. I can say that I was there to see him win the 500. He was racing in the Busch series(remember that) at Indianapolis raceway park one year and I had waited 2 hours for his autograph and was next in line when they cut it, said no more. Pissed me off but hey he had to race. Cant please everyone. I have lots of his races on vhs.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Heres my pics from 02, notice my boy has Earnhardt colors.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Great pics and a even better thread ***** like

Quick Reply: Remembering Dale Earnhardt