Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...

Thanks to all of you for posting back! I guess I have learned to understand that it is a used vehicle and problems will arise. It's just a little hard to grasp because I have owned 11 used vehicles in the past (all with over 100,000 miles) and have had only one problem. Of course it was a ford ranger and the engine went out, so that doesn't actually count because ford just blows. Anyway, that's why I'm upset is because I've had such good luck with GM. I haven't had to dish out any money on any of them. My 3/4 suburban (I actually have two) one is an 01 and the other is an 84 and one has 120,000 miles and the other 152,000 miles and they tow regularly and I haven't done a thing to them.

I believe that this car was not taken well care off and was driven hard and put away wet. I've never heard of so many problems (from people around here) with a car that has less than 100,000 miles on it. My neighbors are giving me crap because I bought this and have been pooring money that I don't have into it ever since I bought it. I have heard of people doing work like this at 200,000 miles, but not 90,000.

04montels,
My Monte was shifting fine (but delayed into third just like yours) and then every once in awhile it would start shifting very hard in between gears and a whine would develop. I took it to the tranny shop and they put the scanner on it and it threw a code saying that my boost valve was bad. What was happening was that fluid was seeping past the boost valve (probably from being driving hard from the idiot that had it before me) and it would cause slipping. This would then send a red flag to the computer causing it to increase pressure to avoid any damage. The tranny shop that I took it to replaced the PCS too just because they are so notorious for going out. Hope this helps!

Once again, thank you all for posting in reply, I really appreciate it. It gave me a new look on the monte. I'm goingreplace the igntion lock cylinder and put new plugs and wires in and see how she handles!

Old 01-14-2007, 05:11 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

01BlkSS,

Please don't think any one of us was trying to change your mind about htis car. If you feel you've dumped excessive cash into the car then by all means put a for sale sign in the windshield. You will never be happy with the car if you feel it is nickel and diming you to death.

I know I'd feel like this.

Monte Carlos can be and are good cars.But like you posted if the car was abused by a PO then yes it will have issues. Issues only you can deem worthy of fixing or not. None of us on here can spend your money. (although we do like trying)

My '86 LS Monte was an abused car when I got it. The guy I got the car from kept telling me how good the car was. And in a general sense it has been a good car. But I've also spank cash into the car to keep it as nice as possible. Ever since they were new I loved the 4th generation Montes. The SS models the most. I've always wanted one but for some reason can not afford one when I find it for sale?????

I can also add that after the car I bought got his head on plus rear ended I bought another used car with the check the insurance company sent.(and I screwed myself by doing so but that's another story)

To date this other car has been great! I've tuned it, put on tires and brakes, K&N drop in filter, kept the oil changed and that's about it. The car had about 86,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 110,000 miles on it. I drive it when I feel like it and it always runs fine.

Why do I need so many cars? Beats me? I'm a car psycho. What can I say????

Old 01-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Hey, don't be worried about having too many cars. I probably have you beat! Thanks for the input on the car. I am thinking I might sell it. I'm just not happy with it. I will think about it for awhile, drive it for a few months, see what happens. See if I have to dump anymore money into it.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 AM

see an if ya were only here. there is a 04 SS fully loaded with only 5500.0 miles on it AND SHE IS SELLING IT!! get this. because it is not a white car it is black . I tried to offer he rmine for it but i really didnt want black.

but it is real clean. but the shippig it back would hurt ya.

but if your going to sell your car the other option is to find one that is older liek the old SS from 84-87 and then you knwo you will have to put money in to it unless it is restored.
but then you have a toy also.
Good luck either way. but dont let one bad car kill your tase for the montes they really are pretty good cars.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I probably have you beat!

More then 12? [sm=guilty.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 01-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Darn...I don't have you beat...I only have 5 [8D]

Don't get me wrong though, if I could have that many cars, I would! My wife would cut off my left lug nut if I did though.

Mickey,
I was actually thinking about the older ones because I love that body style and I actually would like T-tops. Only problem is I probably couldn't geta long enough loan on it. I'm actually thinking of selling it and not buying anything because college is nearing an end and I don't want to be stuck with not enough money to pay for school and the monte. Maybe I'll sell this one and oneday when I have more money I'll buy a 2006 or 2007 SS with the 5.3!

Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Oh yeah, there's two more I git to take cares of that I don't own. Some woman (I can't git rid of hers) makes me do the upkeep on her curs.

There's these......
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/249520

Then these.........
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/263368

And oh yeah. These..........
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/258929

So you see I'm car poor. My cars keep me poor. [sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

So you see I'm car poor. My cars keep me poor. [sm=grinangel.gif]
That's what's so fun

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I like cars. What can I say?

Doing my own work has helped keep costs down for me. Plus there's other ways to save money if you look for them. Like license plates. Historical plates in Ohio used to be $15 and good for the length of time you owned your car. Now they're $35 and only good for 50 years.

Owning more then one car of car can work for you too. Parts you take off one car will fit another.

I don't drive the '57s or the '86 LS Monte during the colder months so no worries about buying gasoline for them. And during the warmer months the cars I drive daily get driven less so gasoline costs for them goes down.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 AM

lol i hear ya but i only have one right now and the wife has her thing she calls a car.
i think even she would shoot me for 12.

Quick Reply: Regretting the Monte Carlo purchase...