Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Recycled Oil (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/recycled-oil-31482/)

Nocturnx 10-11-2011 07:45 AM

I only run synthetic. I would use recycled if I were just driving an old beater though.

KJRich 10-11-2011 07:50 AM

I would expect synthetic users to be even less likely to consider recycled.

Leprechaun93 10-11-2011 07:54 AM

I think the only people that are going to use recycled oil are people with lke someone above said beater cars or environmentalists/people wanting to go green. I also dont like the idea too much and i'll just stick with normal oil for now.

lougreen03 10-11-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by KJRich (Post 372145)
How does the price of recycled compare to new conventional? It's going to be hard for a lot of us to accept recycled (even if it's just as good) when you can buy new oil just as easily.

I just looked up the price and it is about the same price. I think the benefit is the impact on the environment. My thought is Valvoline is jumping on the green bandwagon in hopes to get a leg up on the competition.

Cowboy6622 10-11-2011 08:05 AM

I think a lot of people have a negative look on recycled oil just becasue at one time, you could buy it in glass quarts at convient stores and ti was literally just something that came out of another car at some point...

The thing is, the additives wear out of the oil, and contaminants get in it. Filter the contaminants out, and re blend the additives, and you've got oil again. Same thing. Everyone just thinks it's used oil and therefore not as good.

If someone came out with some recycled synthetic, I'd be likely to use it. If I was a conventional guy, I'd pour Valvoline NextGen in my car, change it at 3-5000 miles, and not put much more thought into it.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-11-2011 08:19 AM

I looked at the price, it was the same as "new oil". If the stuff was like half the price I would definitely run it in the Camaro.

demonspeeder1 10-11-2011 10:50 AM

Pretty much everyones in agreement then. lol.

Like I said I'm not too keen on it either. Might as well vacuum out my air filter instead of buying a new one too. I give them props for throwing it out there but I don't see it as something that people are going to jump on.

ChibiBlackSheep 10-11-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by demonspeeder1 (Post 372199)
Might as well vacuum out my air filter instead of buying a new one too.

By your sig, it says you have a K&N, so yeah... you would clean it instead of buying a new one :rotfl:

lougreen03 10-11-2011 12:55 PM

I vacuum my cabin filter and blow it out with the air hose. It lasts a while longer.

demonspeeder1 10-11-2011 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 372204)
By your sig, it says you have a K&N, so yeah... you would clean it instead of buying a new one :rotfl:

Shh, we are assuming that it's stock.:rolleyes: Good call though.

But imagine trying it with the oil filter....:wtf: Messy for sure.