Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Is it REALLY about the people?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Is it REALLY about the people?

Since I'm still new to the Monte Carlo scene, forgive the ignorance if this already exists.
But a lot of other car enthusiasts set annual meet(s) on specific weekends for their particular make and model of car. Maybe if all the Monte owners and forums agreed on an annual meet on a specific weekend every year, people would/could book the time off work ahead of time knowing that there will be a big turn out. I know I would be reluctant to drive a long way not knowing if there's gonna be 200 people, or just 2.

As for the trophies and awards....I look at it like a professional sport. Would baseball players still play ball if there was no World Series and lucrative contracts? Sure, but not as many. I guess having awards is a way of ensuring people will show up. Plus it feels good to have all your hard work acknowledged.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM

amen taz d00d people dont bust their *** on their cars for countless hours and drop tons of cash into them just for the heck of it

Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Well speaking about small showsthere wasa small meet at my local Cartoys store on Sunday. Lots of trucks, a nice Z and 68 Camaro SS.

But of coures I had to support the monte and saw this70 Monte.

Sorry for the links. I can't figure out how to just display them.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...yna/new035.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...yna/new034.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...yna/new033.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...yna/new036.jpg

Old 09-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Nice pics of a nice car, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

I seriously couldn't care less about awards/prizes... you do the Dubuque Iowa to Davenport Iowa thing I'll be there... hell I'll set it up ifn you need... I actually know a much better... more scenic route, allthough it might add a (very worth it) hour and a half to the run. (scenic in the summer anyways, lol)

I mean.. I would love to be able to just get up and go to St Louis... but the more I look into it.. the less I think I can make it. Simply because my tires, and my PTOhours need to last at least until mid next summer... and with my luck they'll berunning outby spring.

I mean, let's all be honest.. sure a prize or two can make it easier to take the chance on the ride, but I've ridden to Alabama (14 hrs on the road) all on a spur of the moment thing. But, at that time I could affordit, (32 mpg 4 cyl Beretta,<car was paid off>2$ or less a gallon)

I hope that most ppl don't take any "prizes" or whateverinto account, because I think it's neat simply to see the work that has gone in to some people's rides, and to meet the ppl that did the work.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM

I wish i could go to everything it would be nice but being 17 and in high school and having an older brother that liked to "party" (i will leave it at that) my parents dont even let me drive to the away games on friday for football let alone drive an hour or so to hang out with some guys that i dont even know and met on the net.

i honestly would rather go just to hang and not for a prize because to me your car is that YOUR CAR so should it even matter what other people think about it?

yes it does feel good to be congragulated on your work but i would just rather sit in a chair all day under a tree and talk to a fellow car guy (or kid in my case) rather than wory what people thought of my car.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like meet and greets and shows because I love showing my car. But if I have to pay an entry fee I want to try my hardest to win a trophy. I don't do well at participant judged show so I don't do them or just go as a "non judged" car. I do very well at judged shows and people acknowledge my hard work, usually by the older folks.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

amen rj d00d, or how the same people even fellow monte carlo owners would willingly bash another mc just because it aint exactly how they want it

Chris, this makes little sense?
It's a Monte and it's part of the Monte Carlo family. Like it or that's the way things are.
Not to mention................ IT'S YOUR CAR!!!
You build, drive, mod it how YOU want. Not how other's want it to be. If they don't like it, walk on by. There's another car right next to it.

My $0.02 on the trophy versus not a trophy thing. I don't act like I'm in this for the awards. I like the people. I like the atmosphere of the car scene. Okay I like showing off a little, too. And I also notice people treat me differently then say the guy who let's it be known he's a $4 trophy hound. How? I don't know? It just seems my car(s) get less respect?

Maybe it's the fact I don't have $25,000 to sink in to a car? But I'm building a fleet, not just one car. And that's probably my downfall? Owning TOO many to do any real good for any one of them?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

Chris, this makes little sense?
It's a Monte and it's part of the Monte Carlo family. Like it or that's the way things are.
Not to mention................ IT'S YOUR CAR!!!
You build, drive, mod it how YOU want. Not how other's want it to be. If they don't like it, walk on by. There's another car right next to it.

EXACTLY!!!! so move the friek on and dont stand there saying stuff like "look at this piece of s**t" or "what loser builds something like this" ect... and i get that everytime EVEN HERE FOR GODS SAKE

My $0.02 on the trophy versus not a trophy thing. I don't act like I'm in this for the awards. I like the people. I like the atmosphere of the car scene. Okay I like showing off a little, too. And I also notice people treat me differently then say the guy who let's it be known he's a $4 trophy hound. How? I don't know? It just seems my car(s) get less respect?

i feel ya d00d no if's ands or buts people just dont care anymore, if it isnt what they have or EXACTLY! what they want then to hell with your car its just some ragged pos u had to have towed in.

Maybe it's the fact I don't have $25,000 to sink in to a car? But I'm building a fleet, not just one car. And that's probably my downfall? Owning TOO many to do any real good for any one of them?

i say FTW i think your cars are nice and i know my cars sweet so yeah FTW its all about us and what we like.

Quick Reply: Is it REALLY about the people?