Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   ? ? ? Reality check on car-care myths ? ? ? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/reality-check-car-care-myths-16702/)

ChibiBlackSheep 10-26-2009 10:11 AM

Don't you have a second set of keys? Lock your doors when you start it up haha. Though you will manually have to hit the locks on the door, they won't lock by push-button while the key is in.

Jomao_o 10-26-2009 10:42 AM

Actually Mike, the used dealership i got her from only gave me one set of keys.
So i don't have a back up.
How much would it cost for a chevy dealership to make another?
I've been turning and on and leaving the car unlocked and sometimes with the windows half way down just incase i thought it would lock after a certain time, so far nothing has happened.
but i cannot be taking my chances, not in this part of town.

MAMONTE 10-26-2009 10:51 AM

It really is not neccessary to let it warm up for that long. I don't think its good for the car to literally start it, and throw it in gear. But 1 min warm up time is plenty for newer cars. The newer oils (5w-30, 5w-20, even 10w-30) are thin enough to move pretty quickly. Synthetics help this process even more so. I generally give my car a good minute or 2 to warm up, no more than that, and then I just drive it really easy until it is up to full operating temp.

Letting it idle for so long only waste gas, and adds un-needed idle time to your car.

MAMONTE 10-26-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o (Post 172455)
Actually Mike, the used dealership i got her from only gave me one set of keys.
So i don't have a back up.
How much would it cost for a chevy dealership to make another?
I've been turning and on and leaving the car unlocked and sometimes with the windows half way down just incase i thought it would lock after a certain time, so far nothing has happened.
but i cannot be taking my chances, not in this part of town.

This is why I love the remote start, doors are locked, transmission is locked in park, and no key in the ignition. Plus you don't have to go in the cold and start the car! :p:D

I would never leave my car running with the keys in the ignition, and the car unlocked. You are asking for trouble. Especially in the winter time, because more people do this at this time of year, and thiefs know it.

BTW, your looking at $50-100 just for the key, and probably $100-150 for the key fob.

Jomao_o 10-28-2009 08:03 PM

Wow, that's steep. I'll just do as MAMONTE; sit in the car for a couple of minutes and let it warm while I wait for the wife to come out. lol Thanks for the info.

MonteDriver 10-28-2009 08:41 PM

as far as the starting michael has my support, I usually start it and when the windows are clear I'm off. I live in colder weather so when its cold I don't move the car til i can clear the windows, it lets me know the car is putting out enought heat and the oil is moving well enough.

as far as saving money on fuel by not using premium, I pay 10 cents less for premium then i do regular.

kweef 10-28-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE (Post 172457)
BTW, your looking at $50-100 just for the key, and probably $100-150 for the key fob.

my spare key cost me $13...and i believe he has the same gen car as me

as for the tips allowing ur car to warm up for a minute (in cold weather) is beneficial. moving parts are less likely to break when they have been allowed to reach operating temp at slower velocities. as for an oil change at 7500 miles, the engine may be designed for 7500 but most oils are not. they begin to break down long before that.

aussiek2000 11-06-2009 12:24 PM

The newer synthetics can go evne longer than that. But the filter can't take anything over 5,000 miles unless you are using a k&N or mobil filter.

MAMONTE 11-06-2009 12:59 PM

Synthetics can go 7,500+ miles no problem.