Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Ran into....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ran into....

My first car today at a gas station, i couldn't remember the owner but he caught staring me and recognized me and told me im the one he bought it from, after the story of he bought it was the actual story i was in disbelief on how good the car looks now 10 years later, 100% original still numbers matching and painted to original paint. I got my first car when i was 16 for $750, it was a 1973 Chevy Nova SS 454 with 4 on the floor (manual) it was a running project car i bought off of an old lady that her husband past away when he was in the beginning stages of the restoration process, had full interior (looked horrible) all the glass and a very very healthy drive train. The lady that sold me the car didn't know it was numbers matching and 100% still original including original AC that didnt work lol, i took it to a corvette shop to fix my speedometer left it over night and next day after highschool i went to pick it up and the owner of the shop offered me $30,000 for the car on the spot. That nova was his brothers first car back in 73 whom past away in the gulf war, so there u go, bought it and then sold it 3 months later and i dont think that car will ever ever be sold again.....ever.

With that 30k i bought a procharged n air bagged Dakota RT n saved the rest....

Any one else remember something special about one of their cars?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

sweet, $30k for a $750 purchase price............

you have any pics of it.......

Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 PM

My grandpa knew I loved cars from the day I was born. He always bought me hotwheels and model cars. Every time I saw him he gave me a new hotwheels I still have them all unopened. Thats hard for a kid not to open a hotwheels. He got cancer ad died but not until after I got to say goodbye. Mom told me later he left me some inheritance to buy something special that I could always have to remember him by. So after a 6 hour road trip me and dad found a 1970 dodge dart swinger numbers matching 318 and 8 3/4" rear end. We bought it and when I got it home did some research and found out it was origonaly sold in 1969 in My Grandpa's home town of Pacific MO. I found it 30 years later in Cuba MO. I still have the car I will modify and restore it but I will never sell it.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
sweet, $30k for a $750 purchase price............

you have any pics of it.......
Yea ill post the before n after once i find the before pic

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
My grandpa knew I loved cars from the day I was born. He always bought me hotwheels and model cars. Every time I saw him he gave me a new hotwheels I still have them all unopened. Thats hard for a kid not to open a hotwheels. He got cancer ad died but not until after I got to say goodbye. Mom told me later he left me some inheritance to buy something special that I could always have to remember him by. So after a 6 hour road trip me and dad found a 1970 dodge dart swinger numbers matching 318 and 8 3/4" rear end. We bought it and when I got it home did some research and found out it was origonaly sold in 1969 in My Grandpa's home town of Pacific MO. I found it 30 years later in Cuba MO. I still have the car I will modify and restore it but I will never sell it.
Sorry about your grand father, and u know now we all gonna ask for pics of the dart.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM

well i would but the only reason I have pics of the monte is because I went to the super chevy show. I dont have a camera.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint

That's totally awesome aswell, would like to see pics of that also....

Great thread/topic here, would love to hear more stories of cars from others who have bought/found/inheritated anything that has a special meaning. I know there are more here, it would be great to share them with all of us.......

Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Very Cool stories. So you guys have a car from 1970. So do i. But no big story about mine. Long story on how I got into it. I've had some Badazz cars since I was out of the Navy. And the 70 Chevelle is one of them. Nothing like your stories at all. I searched for over a couple of months for something I could afford. This car came from Fla. A friend spotted it for sale some where either on line or in an ad. Contacted the guy and ask how much. Seemed a little high. So I have a friend in Plam Beach, Fl. Asked him to get on his Bike and go check it out. Short story... He calls me the next day saying if you don't want it. Maybe I'll buy it. So he tells me all about it. Takes it for a ride even. So I calls the guy back and we settle on a price. Then come to find out that its a #'s matching car. The guy had no idea what he had. He was surprised when I got it and told him all about it. Beleive me that the short version .

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Very Cool stories. So you guys have a car from 1970. So do i. But no big story about mine. Long story on how I got into it. I've had some Badazz cars since I was out of the Navy. And the 70 Chevelle is one of them. Nothing like your stories at all. I searched for over a couple of months for something I could afford. This car came from Fla. A friend spotted it for sale some where either on line or in an ad. Contacted the guy and ask how much. Seemed a little high. So I have a friend in Plam Beach, Fl. Asked him to get on his Bike and go check it out. Short story... He calls me the next day saying if you don't want it. Maybe I'll buy it. So he tells me all about it. Takes it for a ride even. So I calls the guy back and we settle on a price. Then come to find out that its a #'s matching car. The guy had no idea what he had. He was surprised when I got it and told him all about it. Beleive me that the short version .
Lmfao i bet the previous owner was running himself in to a brick wall after hearing that

Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 AM

1 Year Member

There's a lot more to this story. I met him in person along with his Dad. Then come to find out they were salesmen and had a lot in s. Fla. So I didn't feel bad at all. After talking to him for about 45 mins at Car Craft that same year up here in MN. I knew after that I didn't care for him at all. His dad was cool but he was a scammer and one of those salesmen you read about. After I got it in good looking order and engine work done to it. I called him to see if he had something I wanted. Can't think of what it was now. But found out he lost his bussiness. I again asked my friend to go check his place out. He was told the guy was sued and lost his business. I feel so bad But I did make out on it. Like I said theres still alot to this story and how he tried to scam me twice. What goes around ,,,,comes around

Old 08-03-2012, 01:40 AM

1 Year Member

Small world. I see you have a Lincoln MKZ. I looked at one of those when I was shopping for a car. Nice car But I wanted some more of a sporty car. Sitting right next to it was a 300 M Fully loaded ,all white interior HEMI. Great price and everything you can get on a car this one had it. But I didn't really care for the exterior color. sort of an off white goldish color. Thank God I didn't buy it. Cause the next day I found my MONTE and never looked back

Quick Reply: Ran into....