Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

R.I.P. HD-DVD

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default R.I.P. HD-DVD

Just saw the announcement on the tv news that NetFlix is no longer offering videos in the HD-DVD format.

Another nail in the coffin?
What do you think? Did you like HD-DVD better than Blu-Ray?
Are you keeping your HD-DVD's as collector's items, or what?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Default RE: Another blow for HD-DVD

Seems to me that this is just an updated version of the VHS and Betamax wars - and we all know how that one turned out...lol

Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Yea the cheaper product won that war. Doesnt look like that will be the case here.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 PM

That's because people with the money to buy this time around want the better quality of Bluray and the extra few bucks for the dvd's don't bother them.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM

I have watched both products. Blueray and HD-DVD and I can not tell the difference. They both play at 1080p which is the highest resolution possible.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

I have watched both products. Blueray and HD-DVD and I can not tell the difference. They both play at 1080p which is the highest resolution possible.
It's in the quality and numbers not really if you can notice it. I always hear people screaming Kenwood over Alpine or Pioneer and I doubt any one of these people could really tell the differance between the +/- .04 decibels tolerance.

I've always heard the Bluray is technically superior and it probably has to do with color depth and sound. I know I honestly couldn't tell you the differance.

Something similar if you were ever in the IT field would be those people that bought 50X cd roms over 48X cd roms. There is literally next to no differance when running them except on a 5 minute install the 50x may save you 5 or so seconds. Is that worth paying 20% more?!?! But I saw people doing it all the time because they wanted the best!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I think it's possible that if the economy stays the way it is for any length of time, we could see people putting their spending extra money on Blu-ray and high-end home theatre, on hold. I think people might just settle for their standard DVD's until economic times get better. This could be a blow to Blu-ray and high-end home theatre systems also.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Taz

I think it's possible that if the economy stays the way it is for any length of time, we could see people putting their spending extra money on Blu-ray and high-end home theatre, on hold. I think people might just settle for their standard DVD's until economic times get better. This could be a blow to Blu-ray and high-end home theatre systems also.
That same reason might help Bluray as well. The Have's will dictate and the Have Nots will have to go for the ride.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 AM

All though I can afford a BluRay I will not buy one. I will not be forced into buying a product because SONY dictates we must.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

In the 80's Sony dictated we all buy BetaMax. People didn't listen then either.

Sony seems to like making things that only works properly with their equipment. For example, memory sticks. Smart from a theoretical point of view. But doesn't usually pan out in the long run.

Quick Reply: R.I.P. HD-DVD