Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Quick Question!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Quick Question!

Hello all! I hope your holidays were great! Santa brought me new wheels for the Monte!!! I need to post pictures but not until I can clean her up. But the fact that the low temperature for today is -4 that isn't going to happen. I have a quick question for you. I have a 1996 Town and Country LXI with 181,000 miles as my winter beater. We had it on jack stands for an extended period of time to replace the transmission. After letting it back down it rides TERRIBLE!!!! It is so bouncy and rough I am afraid I could get brain damaged driving this thing. It didn't ride like that before. What could of caused this? Has this happened to anyone on their vehicle before?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Zen

Quick answer 42
How long was it on stands?Maybe the shocks have fail

Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zen
Quick answer 42
How long was it on stands?Maybe the shocks have fail
LOL!

It was on stands for about a month. I hope they didn't....I don't want to put any more money into this thing.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

quick question, did you lubricate the seals and rubber bushings in your suspension prior to storing the car? extended periods of non use will allow them to dry crack and wear out which would cause havoc with your suspension. It might be a good idea to have a shop give it a quick once over.

Is there any chance the jack stands were on any of the suspension parts? I know this is probably unlikely as most people will generally put the stands under the frame of the car, but it could happen. There are many people that have bent their suspension parts when jacking up their vehicles

Sounds like either your shocks or struts have failed, this is generally what it means when you are experiencing a "bouncy" ride, you hit a bump and the car just seams to keep going up and down, a quick test is to push on the corner of the vehicle over the shock/strut and see if it is just a quick rebound or it does an extra rebound or two (the second is not good).

The town and country's have a very lush suspension (from what I can remember about my dads that is as he had the same year as yours) so a fair amount of "slow rebound" is expected as the suspension is more designed for that type of ride, but excessive is bad

Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
quick question, did you lubricate the seals and rubber bushings in your suspension prior to storing the car? extended periods of non use will allow them to dry crack and wear out which would cause havoc with your suspension. It might be a good idea to have a shop give it a quick once over.

Is there any chance the jack stands were on any of the suspension parts? I know this is probably unlikely as most people will generally put the stands under the frame of the car, but it could happen. There are many people that have bent their suspension parts when jacking up their vehicles

Sounds like either your shocks or struts have failed, this is generally what it means when you are experiencing a "bouncy" ride, you hit a bump and the car just seams to keep going up and down, a quick test is to push on the corner of the vehicle over the shock/strut and see if it is just a quick rebound or it does an extra rebound or two (the second is not good).

The town and country's have a very lush suspension (from what I can remember about my dads that is as he had the same year as yours) so a fair amount of "slow rebound" is expected as the suspension is more designed for that type of ride, but excessive is bad

We didn't lube up anything as we weren't expecting it to be off the road for as long as it was. We had the jack stands back under the frame so I know that they weren't on the suspension. Also, it passed inspection at the shop but I don't know how much they actually checked. It bounces about two to three times if you push on it before it stops. It almost makes you come off the seat if the bump you went over is big enough. I can deal with it I guess as long as it isn't a safety issue. I don't have more money to throw at this thing.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Zen

It sounds like the shocks fail its not unheard of for them to fail after being up on stands for a long time

Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

google the "Chrysler minivan fanclub forum"... yes it does exist! lol and it's been a great helpful forum with fixing things on my dad's '97 Plymouth voyager