Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Pontiac Tribute Day *June 1*

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 AM

they need to make a firebird like mine that would be great like body style thats never going to happen but thats what they should of done i mean look at the 05 gto does not look like any old gtos the mustang looks like the 70s camaros look like 60s drives me crazy

Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not to argue with you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I can understand your point to retro styling.

But the original GTO's didn't look like a muscle car. They were family cars with souped up engines from the factory. Wasn't until the last couple years that they resembled a muscle car.

GM admitted the 04-06 GTO's were an experiment. They were a re-badged Holden Monaro, from Australia. GM's idea was to sell that version for three years (in the U.S. only), and see how well they sold. If the return of the GTO went well, GM was going to create a new design of their own for 07.

Don't forget, the 04-06 GTO's were rear wheel drive. A platform GM didn't really have in 04 besides the Corvette.

Purists of the original GTO's hated it because it was Australian, and it didn't look like the 60's GTO.

Others liked it's more modern styling. And the power was unbelievable. A 6 litre V8 in a car the size of a Pontiac Grand Am meant a wild ride.

I think if GM would've allowed the sale of the 04-06 GTO's outside of the U.S. also, the GTO probably would've been saved. And GM most likely would've listened to the demand for a more retro-styled GTO.

I think a 2007-2009 GTO would've been a retro-styled GTO with a bad assed engine and tranny combo.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM

pic of my dads 66 GTO i took a pic of it its A PICTURE WE GOT HANGING IN THE GARAGE BUT TAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ THATS FOR U a family car a 10 sec beast on motor got to love that

Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM

see the paint on the pic sorry about that but ya had to post it i will take pics off it if he ever gets it out

Old 05-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Now thats mean and sexy looking who is scared because iam

Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM

But the original GTO's didn't look like a muscle car. They were family cars with souped up engines from the factory. Wasn't until the last couple years that they resembled a muscle car. NOW WHAT DO U THINK taz

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04 dale jr supercharged
pic of my dads 66 GTO i took a pic of it its A PICTURE WE GOT HANGING IN THE GARAGE BUT TAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ THATS FOR U a family car a 10 sec beast on motor got to love that

Dude that's modded! I'm talking stock from the factory.

Here's one that looks more like the stock GTO from the 60's. I'm not saying it's a bad looking car. But back in 66, it was a muscle car disguised as a family car. Deliberately done that way in order to get the approval of GM brass.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I never said I didn't like the original GTO's.

The original GTO's have a classic retro style that will always be liked. I like the retro style of the originals. But I also like the 04-06 GTO's.

I'm not saying stuff just to argue with you. You like the original versions, and not the "new" version. I like both versions. Plain and simple.

You have your likes and dislikes. I have mine. That's what makes us all different.

We do have a common like for the Monte Carlo.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

BTW... Your dad's 66 looks great! Nice work he's done to it.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 04 dale jr supercharged
what mest up pontiac i think was when they made the NEW GTO THEY MADE IT LOOK LIKE A DAMN IMPORT
Have to agree with you there. Pontiac's latest generation of cars were not very flashy, at all. The GTO was very small for a muscle car, and you're right, it looked like a cross between a Neon and a Civic, pretty ugly for something that was supposed to be a "Muscle Car".

The G5 and G6 were alright looking cars, I wouldn't mind owning one as a DD. But they did the G8 right, just didn't sell well enough I guess.

The reason I heard that they kept Buick and gave Pontiac the boot is this:
Buick has a much larger market over seas than what Pontiac did, and they would have more sales by keeping Buick rather than Pontiac in the end. Also, Pontiac and Chevrolet had almost identical cars, for every Chevy Pontiac made a sister car, and people must have preferred the Chevy's a bit more. Buick was a different class, a higher class, more exclusive. Anyways, that's why I think they kept Buick.

Quick Reply: Pontiac Tribute Day *June 1*