Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Police say 12 confirmed dead in Arkansas floods

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy Police say 12 confirmed dead in Arkansas floods

Hi Member's, one of the senior citizens in my beach village just woke me up to check the web for information about the tragic floods in Arkansas.(she has a daughter living there) I thought I would post what I found. I know we have many member's from that area & surrounding area's that are affected by the heavy rains...Please keep all in your prayers. It's another reminder on how fragile human life can be 4-Sure.
And you thought you were having a bad day

Police say 12 confirmed dead in Arkansas floods

Play Video Weather Forecast Video:National Forecast weather.com
By JILL ZEMAN BLEED, Associated Press Writer Jill Zeman Bleed, Associated Press Writer– 23 mins ago
CADDO GAP, Ark. – Heavy rains triggered flash floods along a pair of southwestern Arkansas rivers around dawn Friday, killing a dozen people trapped in remote valleys after the water rose as rapidly as eight feet in an hour.
Floodwaters inundated campgrounds along the normally peaceful Caddo and Little Missouri rivers, swamping hikers and campers sleeping along the rivers' banks. This area of the Ouachita Mountains includes second homes, hunting camps and a number of U.S. Forest Service campgrounds.
"We don't know who was in there last night," State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. "This is a very wide area."
Brigette Williams, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross in Little Rock, said that between 200 and 300 people were believed to be in the area at the time of the flooding. She did not know how many of those were campers and how many were local residents.
Williams said the Red Cross would provide shelter for anyone displaced by the flooding.
Sadler said 12 people died in the floods and that officials were setting up a temporary morgue in a refrigerated truck. Searchers worked along the Little Missouri River in Montgomery and Pike counties, while along the Caddo River at Glenwood police and fire crews monitored debris moving beneath the U.S. 70 bridge.
The National Guard dispatched helicopters to help in the rescue because much of the area was inaccessible by land. Tracy Farley of the U.S. Forest Service said the floods eroded some road beds and knocked trees across roads. Crews with bulldozers and chain saws were sent to the area.
Tabitha Clarke, a hydrologist with the National Weather Service office in North Little Rock, said the water rose quickly between 1:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. A river gauge at Langley, just south of the Camp Albert Pike area, had a peak reading of 23.39 feet — up from 3 feet deep at midnight.
Between 2:45 a.m. and 3:45 a.m., the river rose 8.08 feet and continued to rise, according to data from the U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors the gauge.
The rugged terrain likely kept some campers from reaching safety, Clarke said. Some parts of the valley are so steep and craggy that the only way out is to hike downstream. Any who had taken cars to the camp sites would have been blocked at low-water bridge crossings that are inundated when the rivers rise, she said.
At that time of night, many campers were likely still asleep when their tents began to fill with water, she said.
Gov. Mike Beebe, in Dumas for an economic development announcement, said the deaths occurred about 5:30 a.m., when the water hit its peak. He said he did not plan to visit the site immediately.
"I don't want to get in the way," Beebe said. "There is an intense search-and-rescue attempt."
Weather service readings showed that 7.6 inches of rain fell in the area overnight.

Last edited by Space; 06-11-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 PM

- FOX 4 News Dallas - Fort Worth - 53 minutes agoFlash floods wiped away campsites along a pair of southwestern Arkansas rivers early Friday. State police said a dozen people were killed and several others were... full story

Last edited by Space; 06-11-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Very sad news...

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow. Yet another environmental related disaster. This year is turning out to be a rough year.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Bad News like this reminds me to be thankful for having another day of life.....What `if ?

Update: My senior citizen friend's daugther is safe She lives on DeGray Lake, but she does have flooding.

Mother Nautre must be mad again She sure is powerful and cause tragic results from her wrath....

"Oh, Never 4-get 2 tell the ones U love, that you Luv them"
What `if ?
THis thread make me `Think & `be Happy 2 `be here `Now....
Peace/Happy ~> `Out

I'm gona go tell my grandfather I love him...(I have not in awhile)...Try'in 2 look 4 the positives in life...

Last edited by Space; 06-12-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Default flood

That's a real beautiful part of the state and there are several camp
grounds in that area.
Those poor people didn't know what hit them......
Please pray for the families.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

That's just horrible - Space, I'm glad you senior citizen friend's daughter is OK.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Thats crazy, RIP to all who died.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
That's just horrible - Space, I'm glad you senior citizen friend's daughter is OK.

Thanks everyone for your posts & concerns.
It's a very sad story 4-Sure
Death Toll now 17
I did not know that
Flash floods are the No. 1 cause of weather-related deaths in the United States

The Science of Flash Floods

AP – A convenience store flooded by the Caddo River is seen in Glenwood, Ark on Friday June 11, 2010 after …

Remy Melina and Karen Rowan
LiveScience Staff Writers
LiveScience.com Remy Melina And Karen Rowan
livescience Staff Writers
livescience.com – Fri Jun 11, 4:55 pm ET
The deadly] that swept through Arkansas Friday are a reminder of a little-known fact: Flash floods are the No. 1 cause of weather-related deaths in the United States, according to the National weather service

Two key factors that lead to flash flooding are the intensity of the rainfall and its duration. For this reason, most flash flooding is caused by slow-moving thunderstorms, thunderstorms that move repeatedly over the same area, or heavy rains from hurricanes and tropical storms, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Intense rainfall led to the Arkansas flash flooding, causing the Caddo and Little Missouri rivers to rise quickly overnight, sometimes faster than 8 feet (2.4 meters) per hour, according to news reports.

The water doesn't always come from rain. A dam or levee failure, or a sudden release of water held by an can also unleash a flash flood. The topography of the region, the soil conditions, and ground cover also play significant roles.

The force of a flash flood can roll boulders, rip trees out of the ground, and destroy buildings and bridges.

True to their name, these floods occur suddenly - within a few minutes or hours. Rapidly can reach heights of 30 feet or more, and to make matters worse, the same rains that produce flash floods can also trigger catastrophic mud slides.

Most flood-related deaths occur in automobiles, so ] advises that people do not attempt to cross water-covered bridges and avoid dips in the road or low-water crossings. Trying to cross even a small stream can be dangerous, because waters can rise rapidly.

On average, U.S. flooding kills about 150 people a year - more than any other single weather hazard, including tornadoes and hurricanes, according to the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). Most flood deaths are from flash floods, however, and about half of those are because people try to cross swollen streams or flooded roads.

Victims often underestimate the power of water when driving into , UCAR scientists note, adding that it takes only 18 inches (46 centimeters) of water to float a typical vehicle. It only takes 2 feet (60 cm) of flowing water to sweep most vehicles downstream, and nearly half of all -lood fatalities are auto-related, according to NOAA.

Flooding deaths have risen in recent decades, and the U.S. Congress's Office of Technology Assessment says that "despite recent efforts, vulnerability to flood damages is likely to continue to grow" as populations in flood-prone regions steadily increase.

Flash floods can occur along rivers, on coastlines, in urban areas and dry creek beds. River floods generally happen when river basins fill too quickly and water pours over the banks. Coastal flooding is common when tropical storms or hurricanes drive ocean water inland, or when tsunamis send water surging onto shore.

The pavement that covers urban areas prevents the natural soil from absorbing rainfall - in fact, urbanization increases runoff by two to six times over what would naturally occur, according to NOAA. Streets lined with tall buildings can be transformed into fast-moving rivers.

A flash flood can moves quickly and can travel for miles beyond the original site of the storm, catching unwary hikers and motorists by surprise. Because flash floods can occur at any time of the year, it is important to always be aware of local weather reports, as the National Weather Service issues a flash flood whenever one is occurring or is imminent in specified areas. And now we know....Mother Nature is no one to mess with....She is Powerful 4-Sure....