Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Please take a few minutes... (9/11 Memorial)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Please take a few minutes... (9/11 Memorial)

Ten years ago today, our lives and the way we looked at life changed forever. I know there’s been a thread going on 9/11 for a couple days now. But I would like to take this opportunity to honor all those who lost their life or a loved one as a result of the tragic events on September 11, 2001. Whether it was directly from the attack, or from the resulting war on terror.

I would like to take a few minutes for the playing of The Star Spangled Banner, and The Battle Hymn of The Republic.<st1:p< i="" st1:p<=""></st1:p<>

The national anthem

Battle Hymn of the Republic -- U.S. Navy -- September 14, 2001

Lou Papineau
Administrator
MonteCarloForum.com

Last edited by Taz; 09-11-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: if you see smilies in this post, I didn't put them there.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks , Lou

Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Thank you `Lou (Taz) for your words & thoughts.

I pray the `Creator of `All blesses everyone on Planet `Earth, & that someday we can all live in Peace `amen

Last edited by Space; 09-11-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Sorry about that little sound glitch. The guy says he changed VCR speeds half way through the song, and that caused the sound to go weird for a few seconds. But other than that, I like that version of the Battle Hymn of The Republic.

The combination of the US Navy Sea Chanters, the pipe organ, the drums, and the voices of the crowd inside the National Cathedral just makes for a very powerful rendition.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lou,

I would like to remember a family member here please Ranger Bradlley Rappuhn my wife's cousin KIA in Afghanistan.

http://freedomremembered.com/index.p...ley-d-rappuhn/

<font face="border="><!--?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<st1:country-region><st1:country-region></st1:country-region>
<a href=" border=" alt="" 0"=""><st1:country-region></st1:country-region>
<st1:country-region></st1:country-region>
<st1:country-region><st1:p</st1:p</st1:country-region>
<st1:country-region>Brad loved Harleys his last ride:</st1:country-region>

Last edited by Tadcaster; 09-11-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

I'd like to remember someone from my city. Corporal Andrew Grenon, 23, who was killed along with two other soldiers in a September 3, 2008 Taliban attack on their armored vehicle near Kandahar, Afghanistan.

The poem, entitled "Why We Fight," was written in Afghanistan in 2006 by Cpl. Andrew Grenon of Windsor, Ont., one of three Canadian soldiers who died in an ambush in the volatile Zhari district.

Why We Fight

I've often asked myself why we are here. Why my government actually agreed to send troops to this God-forsaken place. There are no natural resources. No oil, gold, or silver. Just people.

People who have been at war for the last 40 plus years. People who want nothing more than their children to be safe. People who will do anything for money; even give their own life.

I look into the eyes of these people. I see hate, destruction and depression. I see love, warmth, kindness and appreciation.

Why do we fight? For in this country, there are monsters. Monsters we could easily fight on a different battlefield, at a different time. Monsters that could easily take the fight to us.

Surrounding these mud walls and huts is a country in turmoil. A country that is unable to rebuild itself. A country that cannot guarantee a bright future for its youth.

Why do we fight? Because, if we don't fight today, on THIS battlefield, then our children will be forced to face these monsters on our own battlefield.

I fight because I'm a soldier.

I fight because I'm ordered.

I fight, so my children won't have to.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would like to take a minute to post one of my favorite patriotic songs that i had the pleasure of playing in my school band with.

I would also like to thank all the veterans who have served our country in war, my father and other family members included. Those who lost their lives on this day 10 years ago will never be forgotten.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

THANKS LOU. I watched a lot about it this weekend. It still bothers me too watch it. Everyone will remember where they were that day it happened. Just like Pearl Harbor. I've been a little nervious all week. Thinking something just might happen. GOD I hope nothing does. I pray for PEACE. But when some of these Idiots have nothing to lose but a dirt cave in a mountain. It's really scary.. GOD Help us all !

Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank you Lou for your insightful words. I am grateful that I was born here and have what I have. I am also grateful for those that fight for our freedoms and for those who give their lives to protect those freedoms. I have been fortunate in that I didn't personally know anyone who died on this day ten years ago or in the wars and conflicts since. I am also reminded that this could also change in an instant. I have my only son who currently serves in the US Navy. I am grateful that he listened to his dad at the time of his enlistment and he changed his enlistment from a job that would have put him on the front lines to one that put him in a support role. I am grateful that my nephew that serves in the US Army has been over to Iraq and has come home safe. I am grateful that by the end of next month I will have three beautiful daughters that I hope and pray will never have to experience anything like the tragedies that occurred ten years ago today. I thank God for all these blessings.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:34 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would like to remember a friend of the family, Lt. Darin Pontell, USN:

When Darin Pontell was 14, he decided that he would join the Navy. His older brother Steven was a Navy pilot, and he was killed in a crash on the USS Lexington off Pensacola, Florida in 1989.

Darin Pontell, a native of Arlington Heights, IL who moved with his family to Baltimore in 1985, graduated with honors from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis in 1999. He received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Naval Commendation Medal, Navy Achievement Medal and National Defense Service Medal.

He began working at the Pentagon in April 2001. He was completing his second night of training in a new position with the Chief of Naval Operations Intelligence Plot at the Pentagon on September 11th, 2001. He and six colleagues were piecing together information about the attacks on the World Trade Center when American Airlines Flight 77, a highjacked Boeing 757, crashed into the Pentagon at 9:37 AM. The jet aircraft slammed into the west side of the Pentagon, where the CNO-IP office was located.

It can only be presumed that Lt. Pontell and his colleagues were killed immediately. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart Medal. Darin Pontell was buried next to his brother in the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation Cemetery.

Quick Reply: Please take a few minutes... (9/11 Memorial)