Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

OnStar's Gone????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default OnStar's Gone????????

My mother just told me she read in the newspaper OnStar was being dissolved. Anyone know what's going on here?

Plus they got $300 of my money for a year's service that it looks like I now will not get.

[sm=boosign.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=devilgrin.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=lame.gif][sm=lildevil.gif][sm=oopssign.gif][sm=noooo.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Default RE: OnStar's Gone????????

Hello `RJ,[/align]It's won't affect your awesome LTZ[/align]it's for analog versions of OnStar.[/align]Happy Holidays to you & the readers of this : )[/align][:-][/align]Updated:12/21, 4:15pm, EST[/align]macnn: tag: OnStar [/align]Bookmark this page now or subscribe to RSS feed for this tag.[/align]

Analog OnStar to shut down by February 2008[/align]
December 21 - 4:15pm EST Some car owners and other users of General Motors' OnStar service may find themselves in trouble this February, the Associated Press notes. As of February 18th, the FCC will allow GM to halt the analog version of OnStar, in a bid to make its network all-digital. The difficulty is that while the approximately one million OnStar cellphones can be replaced, some cars built as late as 2005 can only access OnStar via analog signals, and have no support for GM's $15 digital upgrade. Meanwhile, some home alarm systems with OnStar must default to a backup connection without analog. [full story][/align][/align]<< first1last >>[/align]

Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

OnStar is not going anywhere!!! What is going away is the OLD Analog OnStar system. The newer modelsusing digital system have nothing to worry about.So old cars using the analog service will lose their OnStar, 04 & 05 car owners can upgrade to the digital. Older cars can buy the new digital equipment and reactivate. That is also new... OnStar can now be installed on all brands.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Ah. It's only the older version of OnStar.

So the cars/trucks built after 2005 are fine.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

My '04 Intimidator SS got upgraded late this summer, so he's all set for another year. Gone DIGITAL!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

yeah.. my gradnfather flipped over this too.... OnStar is still around... even though if you got a cell phone you most likely won't need it.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:33 PM

i think cell phones make it about worthless too, i think more often its just piece of mind. which is why i think old ppl seem to be the ones most concered with losing it. it can do a little more than a cell phone though.

i would imagine onstar is a theft deterent, sure it can be disabled, but its that much more work for someone stealing it to do.

and sending help after airbag deployment... cause i probly wont be dialing

Old 12-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Been there, done that airbag thing with an '01 Impala. I passed out from having the flu and being dehydrated, while on cruise. My car got skinny between the LARGE tree and the telephone pole, after going thru a corn field and jumping a road. I DEFINATELY had a Guardian Angel looking after me.
As long as I'm driving 2 hours a day commuting, I'll have Onstar active.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte came with the analog system, but I never activated it. Since I usually keep a cell phone with me in the car, I was wondering if it was even worth my while to get the digital system and activate it. But now that I read this thread, I guess I should just save my money then.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:56 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Wayne,

That is some story you told. Glad you weren't hurt.

Quick Reply: OnStar's Gone????????