Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

OnStar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Default RE: OnStar?

I was always told it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, so here goes.

I was totally incorrect about the innerworkings of OnStar, as corrected by my old man, a pro at radio communications. And here is why I was wrong..

Onstar does infact have its own GPS reciever, produced by Motorola. Onstar then sends the information digitally through cellphone digital data networks (1x).

And interestingly, here is a modification should you be interested, and your onstar subscription runs out..

http://www.openminds.net/onstar/1explanation.html

It really goes into great detail, and in the long run, could be used to make your own Navigation system, maybe out of a small computer and linux or a stripped down xp Install. Ill leave it to your imagination!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:02 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hmm.. Im not sure if onstar has a backup system or what its capabilities are.

Like I posted Onstar told me the back-up battery in my Monte was bad and needed replaced. This was last month.

Some things to me don't add up what I was told?
1. Onstar has it's own back-up battery.
2. Onstar didn't do a diagnostic of my car in June.
3. Cause my car battery was dead.

So why is it Onstar couldn't do a diagnostic of my car even with the battery dea if their system has it's own back-up battery?

Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: HyperFox

I was always told it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, so here goes.

I was totally incorrect about the innerworkings of OnStar, as corrected by my old man, a pro at radio communications. And here is why I was wrong..

Onstar does infact have its own GPS reciever, produced by Motorola. Onstar then sends the information digitally through cellphone digital data networks (1x).

And interestingly, here is a modification should you be interested, and your onstar subscription runs out..

http://www.openminds.net/onstar/1explanation.html

It really goes into great detail, and in the long run, could be used to make your own Navigation system, maybe out of a small computer and linux or a stripped down xp Install. Ill leave it to your imagination!

Hack your own car, that's awesome.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 PM

That is very cool... Now if I just had a use for GPS....

Lol, j/k I'm considering doing this... but the length of the cable i would need is ridiculous....Definitely a motorola unit in the trunk there..... gasp... I wonder if I could just intercept the connection to the car and use that perhaps?