Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose ?
Camaro
89.29%
Genesis
10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Which One would you choose ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Which One would you choose ?

by
MotorWeek
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
vs
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

ENGINE: 3.6-liter V6
HORSEPOWER: 304
TORQUE: 273 lb feet
0-60 mph: 6.6 seconds
60-0 mph: 115 feet
1/4 mile: 14.9 seconds @ 95 mph
EPA: 18 mpg city/ 29 mpg highway

ENGINE: 3.8-liter V6
HORSEPOWER: 306
TORQUE: 266 lb feet
0-60 mph: 6.1 seconds
60-0 mph: 130 feet
1/4 mile: 14.4 seconds @ 100 mph
EPA: 17 mpg city/ 27 mpg highway

Designers of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro were no doubt fixated on its main rival, the Ford Mustang, and the V8 horsepower wars that are bound to follow. But, it's a car from half-way around the world, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe that could emerge as a serious counter to the high volume Camaro V6. Despite claims about chasing different markets, it's hard to ignore the similarities of these V6 rear drive coupes. So, is the choice Detroit Performance or Asian Finesse? Let's see which one comes out on top!
Let's take a look at the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 first. It is, after all, one of the brightest lights at the new General Motors.
In terms of styling, the Camaro is an absolute stunner. The last time our staffers got this many looks on the road, they were testing the Audi R8 supercar.
The design is a modern view of the Classic '69 Camaro. It's extremely well executed, fusing retro elements, and futuristic lines into one tough looking set of wheels.
But even the V6 Camaro is about performance with a direct injected 3.6-liter good for a hot 304 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque.
Power goes to a firm shifting six-speed manual gearbox, or our car's six-speed automatic with manual mode. Government Fuel Economy is an impressive 18 city/29 highway.
And, on the track, it will still scoot from 0 to 60 in 6.6 seconds and raced through the quarter mile in 14.9 seconds at 95 miles per hour. It hooks up easily and has all the feel of a true muscle car. Still, shifts were a bit slow. The manual is faster.
The Camaro's totally modern independent rear suspension handled switchbacks with a high degree of precision. It turns in quickly, with no bump steer, and stays well-planted. The only detractor is the car's palpable weight and size.
But, despite its heft, Camaro's braking abilities were well above expectations. We averaged a very short 115 feet from 60 to 0. Stops were rock solid.

On the inside, the retro-theme continues with a wide four-seat cabin. Highlights include a dished-out wheel, rectangular gauge housings, and separate dash and center floor consoles.
The lowlights are the Camaro's cheap-to-the-touch hard plastics. But all is forgiven each time you step out and drink in the car's gorgeous exterior.
Overall, the Camaro is a beautifully-conceived throwback with tons of progressive driving excitement, and the perfect cruise night profiler.
To follow one tough act with another, we now train our sights on Hyundai's newest dynamo, the 2010 Genesis Coupe V6.
In terms of an outer-show comparison, both the Camaro and the Genesis Coupe have two doors, four wheels, and a hood. But, similarities stop there.
While the Camaro broods the spirit of America's heartland, the Genesis Coupe sings a whole different tune. Its short overhangs and powerful curves are right out of the Sporty Asian Import playbook.
But like the Tiburon before it, the Genesis Coupe design seems homogenized.
Under the hood lies Hyundai's familiar 3.8-liter V6. Output is 306 horsepower - two more than the Camaro - and 266 pound-feet of torque - that's seven less. Like Camaro, both manual and automatic are 6-speeds. Government Fuel Economy ratings for our automatic are 17 city/27 highway. So, a bit less efficient than Camaro.
But, on the drag strip, the Genesis cleaned up. 0 to 60 in 6.1 seconds, besting the Camaro by a half. Likewise its quarter mile of 14.4 seconds at an even 100 miles per hour. As with the Camaro, power comes on strong, but the Genesis had a steadier build with quicker shifts.
The Genesis also benefits from a well-planted chassis. It delivers great grip, but also a harsh ride. Still, while both sport coupes are nimble, the much lighter Genesis feels more the part.
But that weight advantage didn't translate into stand out braking numbers. We averaged a very typical 130 feet from 60 to 0.

Inside Genesis is also pure modern sport coupe, with a gauge cluster that suits an exotic. Fit and finish are excellent, although not all materials feel premium.
While the interiors of the Genesis and the Camaro are vastly different, the thread of performance runs through each car in its own way.
Pricewise, the Camaro V6 has the edge at $23,040 to start. The V6 Genesis Coupe starts at $25,750.
So, are these two V6 sport coupes that much alike after all? We're now not so sure.
If you love Asian DNA, you will be drawn to the Genesis Coupe. And, it did best the Camaro in acceleration and handling.
But, if you want a great looking car that also relives Detroit's glory days, the Camaro is a powerful magnet. And, since these cars are much about their appeal to all of our senses, that's we way we'd go too.
So, in the end it was not muscle that made the Camaro V6 our pick, but rather a combo of nostalgia, power that's fast and thrifty, great breaks, better ride, lower price, and of course styling that makes you grin from ear to ear. But, even if you don't agree with us, both the Chevrolet Camaro and Hyundai Genesis Coupe will make you look forward to that morning commutes.

Post your Choice, Why ?

Last edited by Space; 08-15-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Definitely the camaro, I have an extreme bias against hyundai lol.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

I like both but the lines of the camaro are way better. I also wouldn't by the 6 and would get the v8.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Member's, below are additional links + Vid's between the Camaro & Genesis ? Check them `out, and post your thoughts/comments, preference in cars ? Thanks for being a Active contributing member....4-Sure
Camaro V-6 vs Genesis Coupe 3.8 | Car News Blog at Motor Trend

Mar 24, 2009 ... Camaro V-6 vs Genesis Coupe 3.8: read this blog post or join the discussion at Motortrend.com.
blogs.motortrend.com/.../camaro-v-6-vs-genesis.../index.html - Cached - Similar
IL Track Tested: 2010 Camaro V6 vs. 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 ...

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8. genesis-vs-camaro.flipper.jpg. Inside Line tests hundreds of vehicles a year, but not every one gets a full write-up. ...
blogs.edmunds.com/.../il-track-tested-2010-camaro-v6-vs-2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe-38.html - Cached - Similar
2010 Camaro V6 vs. Genesis Coupe V6 - Comparison Tests

Car and Driver offers exclusive car comparison tests. Check out our latest test of the 2010 Camaro V6 vs. Genesis Coupe V6 - Comparison Tests.
www.caranddriver.com/.../2010_camaro_v6_vs._genesis_coupe_v6-comparison_tests - Cached - Similar
Video results for Genesis vs Camaro ?

Camaro V-6 vs Genesis 3.8 Track - Part 1
3 min 34 sec
www.youtube.com

Hyundai Genesis vs V6 Chevorlet Camaro - Who's ...
3 min 33 sec
www.spike.com

CAMARO Vs GENESIS COUPE
vodpod.com

Camaro V-6 vs Genesis 3.8 Track - Part 2
5 min
www.5min.com
Editorial: Between the Lines: Car and Driver Camaro vs. Genesis ...

Car comparison tests don't come much more tilted than the “Camaro vs. Genesis” comparison test in the June 2009 Car and Driver.
www.thetruthaboutcars.com/editorial-between-the-lines-car-and-driver-camaro-vs-genesis-comparo/ - Cached - Similar
Genesis vs. Camaro

4 posts - 4 authors - Last post: Jul 8
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8L V6 306bhp 266lb-ft 5.7s 267kmh | 166mph 1537Kg | 3389lbs RWD 17/26 Chevrolet Camaro 3.6L V6 304bhp 273lb-ft 5.9s ...
www.germancarzone.com/.../30003-genesis-vs-camaro.html - Cached - Similar
KoDuel: Hyundai Genesis Coupe VS Camaro

Hyundai Genesis Coupe VS Camaro. Koduel. 20. Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Korean power ( 1 ). 80. Camaro. http://www.Chevrolet.com/Camaro. American Muscle ( 4 ) ...
koduel.com/duels/2-hyundai-genesis-coupe-VS-camaro - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 08-15-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Camaro because of the retro styling, and also I want that V-6 in my MC

Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know for sure that I would pick the Camaro as I actually am a big fan of the Genesis coupe. I think it look and performs "like a million bucks" and it would be right up there with new cars I'd like to buy if for some reason I had to replace the Monte. I have not driven, or even sat in either of the cars, so that is how I would ultimately decide. I'm a Chev guy - no doubt about it. I'm also a Transformer junkie and I like to drive infamous instantly recognizable celebrity-like cars - hard to believe huh? This make a yellow Bumblebee Camaro a very desirable car to me. If all other things were equal, I wouldn't ignore price or "Made in the USA" factors. A Camaro with a V8 would also likely tip the scale. I like the V6, but I don't want to see someone driving a cooler Camaro then me after I've made my investment. That's the reason I went big when I chose the Monte I did. Since there is no Genesis V8, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

I voted Camaro, but I'm not sure I meant it

Old 08-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

camaro V8 for me also!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 PM

I would love a bumble bee camaro as well. I will put that on the list to someday build. It will go next to the general lee and smokey and the bandit cars I would like to have.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

V8 Camaro all the way. It's built in North America by a North American company. Don't like Hynudai.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Camaro.

There was a 5 speed at englishtown's last cruise night this past tuesday.

Sharp.

Quick Reply: Which One would you choose ?