Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should they be Banned while Driving ?
Texting while Driving ?
94.74%
Talking on Phone while Driving ?
52.63%
Eating While Driving ?
42.11%
Smoking while Driving ?
52.63%
Kissing while Driving ?
42.11%
Jumping Up & Down while Driving ?
52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

They nvr listed watching movies in a car most ppl buy dvd radios now & bypass the brake lock on them, mine is & ive put a few dvds in it, nvr really watch em though i turn my screen off & just listen to it, but as far as texting almost everyone has a smart phone these days & i think they all should be preloaded with a voice txting app, may not be 100% good but itll help keep your eyes on the road i use mine everytime i drive

Old 12-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Texting is definitely dangerous.
Phone calls with appropriate headsets, ban? that's what bluetooth devices are for!

Bans? that's funny.
That's the same thing as drugs, they're illegal don't do them...guess what, people still do em.
Would you rather have cops keeping an eye out for criminals or pulling over people on the phone? >.>

Old 12-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Would you rather have cops keeping an eye out for criminals or pulling over people on the phone? >.>
It's not like it's an either or thing. These cops would be on duty TO get people for speeding, or on their phones.

It's not like they are doing drug busts and stop in the middle of it to go give someone else a ticket.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz

Wow. I'm surprised nobody's actually tried that for real. That takes skill!

Is it just me, or does that picture seem a little dirty?
If I was single I'd find that lady and marry her...

I'm against taking away more freedoms. Be free to do what ever you want while driving. Just be prepared to take full responsibility if you mess up.

Yah, I often checked emails, consumed burritos, changed playlists on the iPod, talked on CB, took notes and maybe a lot of things that were not safe in the eyes of some. Safe driving comes down to knowing your surroundings and leaving room around you for safe stoppage or evasive avoidance.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Ban it all!!!

I'm a very very firm believer that when you are behind the wheel you should just DRIVE.

Believe it or not, not too long ago we didn't have all this crap. People survived!!! Nothing is really so important that it ABSOLUTELY can't wait, or you can't just pull off to a rest stop or a parking lot and sort out issues.

I keep a phone with me, but it stays in my shoulder bag in the passenger seat. If it rings, I know who it is from ringtones. If I think it might be important, I'll wait for either the 2nd call, or the voicemail and I'll pull over and deal with it.
Ban it all!!! Are you for real? It all includes passengers, children, food, the stereo, and who knows what else. I agree we need to take personal responsibility for our actions behind the wheel. But I refuse to be treated like a child have have my personal freedoms taken away because something could happen. In my opinion this is just more government intrusion in an effort to control the masses and steal more of our hard earned money. It is similar to the red light cameras that ticket everybody. They said it would reduce accidents. In many cases it has increased accidents and they have collected millions in fines.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:16 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Ban it all!!! Are you for real?
I believe Ban it all, meant the options in the poll.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:37 PM

It's not like it's an either or thing. These cops would be on duty TO get people for speeding, or on their phones.

It's not like they are doing drug busts and stop in the middle of it to go give someone else a ticket.
Speeding tickets should be banned. Speeding tickets serve only one purpose and that is to generate revenue. The cops doing speed patrol should be working drugs and other violent crime. Most people have enough common sense to drive reasonably and the ones who don't can be ticketed for more serious infractions such as reckless operation. The resources spent on speed control are much better used elsewhere. From what I understand Germany's autobahn has no speed limit and there are few accidents.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
From what I understand Germany's autobahn has no speed limit and there are few accidents.
It also takes 2 years, and A LOT of money before you can even get your driver's license over there. It's just a matter of them having better driver's. Also if you are in an accident and it is your fault, you lose your license and the fines are pretty hefty.

There are a lot of complaints, but I am happy that people get speeding tickets. It keeps stupid people in check. And most of the time it can turn into much more than a speeding ticket.

I'm all for leaving people alone, but I would rather not get rear-ended because some chatty woman can't go 20 minutes without talking to someone, get angry, and forget that the brake is on the left.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Banning everything is an exaggeration.
No texting, or talking while driving (without a proper headset) is plenty.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:40 AM

[QUOTE=ChibiBlackSheep;391964]
It also takes 2 years, and A LOT of money before you can even get your driver's license over there. It's just a matter of them having better driver's. Also if you are in an accident and it is your fault, you lose your license and the fines are pretty hefty.

There are a lot of complaints, but I am happy that people get speeding tickets. It keeps stupid people in check. And most of the time it can turn into much more than a speeding ticket.

I'm all for leaving people alone, but I would rather not get rear-ended because some chatty woman can't go 20 minutes without talking to someone, get angry, and forget that the brake is on the left.
I've got to respectfully disagree. First off there is going to be one clown that breaks every rule. Most people drive well and use common sense. If you enact enough laws you eventually make everybody an outlaw. Our society seems to like knee jerk reactions and it is so prevalent and abused. I will cite some examples. Many of the European countries have no set drinking age. When someone drinks for the first time is upto the discretion of the parent. Is there a problem with 12 year olds stumbling drunk on the roadside? No there isn't, in fact their alcoholism and alcohol abuse rates are far lower than ours. The reason is that alcohol consumption is not a right of passage there as it is here. The red light camera laws were passed with noble intent. However when they were lobbied no one disclosed that the municipalities would allow outside companies to run the program. No one disclosed that they would decrease the yellow light time to increase the number of "lawbreakers" in order to increase fines, which increases profits for these outside companies which often times collect up to 90 percent of the fee. Decreasing the length of the yellow also increases the likelyhood of rearend accidents which has been proven at these intersections. I don't know what fees Germans pay for the privilege to drive and I don't believe they are better drivers unless they get better driver training than we get. As for speeding many roads have speed limits set artificially low to increase the number of violators. Most speeders are bagged at less than 15 mph over the limit and in most cases are not a safety risk. They create law breakers to pad municipal coffers. You also can't have it both ways. You either want to leave personal freedoms in place or you don't.

Quick Reply: NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving