Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

No Top Off Law in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
My question is. What is the "DEQ"? How will the enforce it? Will there be someone looking over your shoulder to see if you are topping it off? Will they have cameras looking at you while you are filling up?
DEQ = Department of Enviroment Quality. In the larger urban areas of the state we have to take our cars (pre 1974 aren't required to test) thru a test station to test the emissions of our cars in order to renew our tags. I don't know how they gage a pass/fail, but if you fail you don't get your tags. You pay your $21 bucks if you pass then pay your $54 for your tags. You don't pass you don't pay or get your tags, you fix it and then come back.

They won't let us pump our own gas here, for some reason, they, (our state government) don't think we should or perhaps are not capable (I call bull on that one). So it's state law that we can't pump our own gas. I'm sure that they all recieved a nasty letter from the state saying that if they top off our tanks they will face a big fine.

I suppose you could look at this a couple of ways. It creates jobs, albiet, paying minimum wage and on the other hand it increases the price of gas here a bit since they have to hire people to pump it for us.

Big Brother......

Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I remember living in Jersey that i couldnt pump my own gas. Back in LA, we had the same thing. Except you would call them "JUNKIES".

Old 07-02-2009, 02:28 PM

when I'm redeeming my Fuelperks at Giant Eagle GetGo, by George I'm gonna get my moneys worth! I fill that **** all the way to the tippy top, and then fill up the gas cap for good measure.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
I remember living in Jersey that i couldnt pump my own gas. Back in LA, we had the same thing. Except you would call them "JUNKIES".

you would think its more expensive to have it pumped for you, but in jersy its CHEEPER ( prob. the only thing there thats cheeper) to buy the gas, and "prince habeeboo" pumps it for you.

i hope that does not sound racist, but all of the gas stations down there are owned by arabs, and me and my dad call all of the stations " prince habeeboo's gas-n-go", lol.

Last edited by skylark65; 07-02-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: rice pudding
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM

I posted the memo I got from work.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

I was always told to not "top off the tank" because some fuel might spill out and why take the chance.

But yes big brother is getting out of hand. in illinois they are now using the cameras in work zones so if you are going 56 in the 55 it is a $350 ticket. yes you shouldnt speed in a work zone at all but if your gauges are not perfectly calibrated you are F"ed in the a.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by Black Bowtie
DEQ = Department of Enviroment Quality. In the larger urban areas of the state we have to take our cars (pre 1974 aren't required to test) thru a test station to test the emissions of our cars in order to renew our tags. I don't know how they gage a pass/fail, but if you fail you don't get your tags. You pay your $21 bucks if you pass then pay your $54 for your tags. You don't pass you don't pay or get your tags, you fix it and then come back.

They won't let us pump our own gas here, for some reason, they, (our state government) don't think we should or perhaps are not capable (I call bull on that one). So it's state law that we can't pump our own gas. I'm sure that they all recieved a nasty letter from the state saying that if they top off our tanks they will face a big fine.

I suppose you could look at this a couple of ways. It creates jobs, albiet, paying minimum wage and on the other hand it increases the price of gas here a bit since they have to hire people to pump it for us.

Big Brother......
that is the STRANGEST thing i've ever heard - not being allowed to pump your own gas?? it's hard to FIND full service stations around here - and they're usually more expensive. i have no problem pumping my own gas. the only time i go to the full serve is if it's raining or snowing and i'm in a hurry.

i don't top off the tank either anymore. i used to do the same thing as mike, to round it off, but i also heard it's bad for the car. also i figured what's an extra $.40 of gas going to get me? thirty feet? i'll take my chances. plus now i use the "keep the change" feature from bank of america, so the change gets rounded up and put into my savings account. :P

Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Ill go to the nearest dollar.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
rj
15 Year Member

How can filling the tank full be bad for the car? The fuel pump isn't going to work any harder if the tank is full or just close to the top. If anything this means you're running to the station that much sooner versus if you had the extra gas to run the car 5, 10, or 15 miles longer.

All I see is big brother controlling your life more & more.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:22 PM

well i read this..bored at work so i did a lil search on google...

almost everything i found saying it was bad to top off your car was basicly just saying its bad for the environment because you might spill it... and also found this (dunno if its true or not, but it kinda makes sense, maybe?)

Topping off your gas tank after the pump automatically turns off can harm a vehicle emissions system that re-burns fuel vapors. The pump at your local gas station is designed to turn off when the fuel reaches a certain level, leaving room in the tank that is needed for the emissions system to operate correctly.

When that air dome is reduced from topping off your tank after the pump automatically clicks off, raw gasoline can enter one of the system's important components that's only supposed to carry vapors: the carbon filter — also called the charcoal canister.

When raw gasoline enters the canister/filter, it can spill on the ground (meaning it'€™s not going into your engine — both a waste of gasoline and an environmental no-no) and it can disrupt engine operation, causing bad mileage, poor emissions and overall decreased engine performance. An Automotive Service Excellence representative we talked with says except for rounding to the nearest dime, never fill the fuel tank once the automatic shutoff clicks at the gas pump.

i for one fill it untill i see it , maybe its time to reconsider that?

Quick Reply: No Top Off Law in Oregon