Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The newest car to join my fleet

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member
Default Duster

Gregg. I have to tease you a bit. Back in the day I had a 428 single quad tunnel Ram, 4 spd Fairlane. This is 1968 /69 ... A friend of mine had a 340 Duster. NICE car. I never got a chance to race him. BUT... I raced others. Then figured out why they called them Dusters. Cause that BADASS FORD BIG BLOCK Would leave them in the dust. Isorry Pal. I couldn't help myself. Later I moved into a small town USA. And 2 door down was a 383 Mopar R/T. I used to tease the Hell out of him. Asked what the R/T stood for. Rattle trap !!! . Just good nature ribbing. Oh I heard all the Ford jokes back then. But It was either put up or shut up. And I could put up! But family was getting bigger. So she had to go. Then bought a 1974 Dodge charger 318 2bbl SE. Gold with black vinyl top. GREAT cruise car. But wasn't fast at all. Ok Bed time. been a long day in the drivers seat. More teasein later......

Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
I love that interior.
Kerry; it is that interior that did it for me. With all the other things this car had going for it, the interior is what sold it. I first saw the ad almost a month ago and have been going back and forth in negotiation since. I was able to get it for 3000 plus shipping.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Gregg. I have to tease you a bit. Back in the day I had a 428 single quad tunnel Ram, 4 spd Fairlane. This is 1968 /69 ... A friend of mine had a 340 Duster. NICE car. I never got a chance to race him. BUT... I raced others. Then figured out why they called them Dusters. Cause that BADASS FORD BIG BLOCK Would leave them in the dust. Isorry Pal. I couldn't help myself. Later I moved into a small town USA. And 2 door down was a 383 Mopar R/T. I used to tease the Hell out of him. Asked what the R/T stood for. Rattle trap !!! . Just good nature ribbing. Oh I heard all the Ford jokes back then. But It was either put up or shut up. And I could put up! But family was getting bigger. So she had to go. Then bought a 1974 Dodge charger 318 2bbl SE. Gold with black vinyl top. GREAT cruise car. But wasn't fast at all. Ok Bed time. been a long day in the drivers seat. More teasein later......
Hey Rick; back in the day must be getting a little foggy for ya. Haha. The Duster 340 didn't show up until 1970 as a 70 model. There were slant six and 318 versions that were on the streets by mid to late 69. The Fairlane should have beat the Duster. Weight wise the Fairlane was only a few hundred pounds heavier than the Duster and had almost twice the motor. No quite but big advantage to the Fairlane.
When I was in my late teens a had a friend that had a 74 Dodge Charger SE Brougham. It had a big block under the hood. I think it was a 400. The car was black with the white cobra grain vinyl top and opera windows. He jacked up the back, added Crager SS wheels and raised white letter BFG's. He also added headers and chrome side pipes. The car also had white bucket seats with a floor mounted console and automatic. That car is still one of my favorites and it's twin is on my list of must haves. I currently own a 74 Charger Rallye with a 318 and 3 on the tree. It is a Ono of one car. I'm waiting for repop quarters to become available. It looks fast but doesn't go anywhere fast.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

OK. So Its been a few yrs. ASfter a while they seem to blend in . Mine had the 3 oprea side windows also. I had BFG's N 50 15's on the rear G 60 14's on the front. You know the hood ornament on them. Its was a big round thing . Well Me being about 5'11 back then. If I put my hand down the side of my leg and stand next to that hood. I couldn't touch it. Cause I cranked down on them struts? Till the upper fender well hid 1/2 the front tire. You only seen 1/2 the center hub on the Crager ! It came with a 4 inch front spoiler and I could push beer cans around the parking lot . Plus back then it was cool to have the rear end all jacked up with HI jacker Air shocks. The WHOLE under carriage was painted white front to back. Man if theres one car I miss thats it! Not fast at all. But it looked killer! Your time about the time line Gregg. Cause I had a fastback Torino 289 2bb RED @ all black interior. But some moron ran a red light and totaled that car. Thats when I bought the fairlane near the end of 69. I recall some of the 70's and some I don't!! I think it was the Brownie's back then !