Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The newest car to join my fleet

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
if you can post the link to the craigslist ad maybe someone else can figure it out and then tell you why it wasn't working.
Hi Lou; maybe it's because I'm posting from my iPhone or I'm just dumb. I found it by going to searchtempest. I then hit cars for sale all. I also hit any for distance and then 1975 Plymouth Duster. The ad is for 1975 Plymouth Duster coupe 360 magnum project. It is in the Phoenix listing. phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/2878194136.html

Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 AM

1975 PLYMOUTH DUSTER 2DR COUPE MOPAR 360 MAGNUM ENGINE UPGRADE PROJECT - $3950 (WEST PHX AZ)

<HR>Date: 2012-03-20, 3:51PM MST
Reply to: fmkkm-2878194136@sale.craigslist.org <SUP>[Errors when replying to ads?]</SUP>

<HR>

PRICE REDUCED FOR SALE TODAY ===== WILL CONSIDER 50% PARTIAL TRADES ==== LOOKING FOR VINTAGE FORD PROJECTS ==== NOT A MOPAR GUY. ====

GREAT MOPAR ENGINE UPGRADE PROJECT FOR DUSTER LOVERS. RECOMMENDED FOR ADVANCED LEVEL MOPAR SKILLS ONLY. - OR A GOOD FATHER SON PROJECT. -- DUE TO OTHER PRIORITIES I CANNOT FINISH THIS ENGINE UPGRADE AND PAINT JOB, SO PLEASE COME RESCUE THIS GREAT CAR.
THIS A 2 DR COUPE THAT HAD A 6 INLINE AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER STARTED TO INSTALL A NEW MAGNUM 360 CRATE ENGINE AND DID NOT FINISH. THE ENGINE IS NEARLY NEW REMOVED FROM A PICK-UP TRUCK WITH LESS THAN 1000 MILES ON IT. ---- ALSO INCLUDED IS A NEW 727 TORQUEFLITE AUTO TRANSMISSION, ---- 4 BARREL THERMOQUAD CARBURETOR ---EDELBROCK HEADERS --- A MOPAR SINGLE PLANE RAISED INTAKE ----- AN ALL BILLET PULLEY SYSTEM AND SUPPORTS ---- AN ALUMINUM A/C COMPRESSOR --- AND SEVERAL OTHER ITEMS TO COMPLETE THE INSTALLATION
THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WERE DROPPED ON THE ENGINE BAY AND NOT COMPLETELY ATTACHED = SO THE PROJECT IS MAINLY FINISHING THE INSTALLATION AND THEN ON TO PAINT AND DETAILING.
THIS DUSTER HAS THE RARE FOLDING SEAT BACK WITH FOLDING TRUNK DOOR OPENING TO ALLOW CARRYING LONG ITEMS SUCH AS SKIES AND GOLF BAGS OR PLYWOOD ETC.
FACTORY A/C WILL NEED TO BE SERVICED -- HAS PERIOD CORRECT DISHED ALUMINUM RIMS WITH NEARLY NEW TIRES
THE ORIGINAL THEMED INTERIOR STILL NICE, CLEAN AND USEABLE AS IS WITH ONLY ONE TEAR IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT -- GLASS IS ALL GOOD AND WINDOWS WORK FINE AS SHOULD --- CARPETING IS THE ORIGINAL ORANGE BUT IS VERY TIRED SO IT WILL NEED REPLACEMENT ----
THIS DUSTER IS ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT FOR THE UPGRADING TO MAGNUM 360 V8 POWER AND 727 TRANNY -- TO FINISH THIS PROJECT YOU WILL NEED TO FINISH THE ENGINE FITTING AND ALL ACCESSORIES, INCLUDING A NEW DRIVE SHAFT (NOT INCLUDED) AND EXHAUST AND TAIL PIPE. ---- A NEW PAINT JOB AND CARPETING TO YOUR TASTE.
IT SHOULD BE A SCREAMER WHEN FINISHED WITH THE EXTRA POWER AND WORTH MANY TIMES MORE THAN I ASK FOR. ---- MUST COME AND SEE TO APPRECIATE THE POTENTIAL. ---- COMES WITH A CLEAR ARIZONA TITLE AND NO WARRANTIES.
CALL ONLY BY PHONE IF WANT TO SEE IT --- NO TEXT PLEASE --- I WON'T REPLY EMAILS WITHOUT PHONE NUMBER.
//////////////////////////////////////// 602 449 9964 ---- 623 326 7700 CELL --- ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
NO LOW BALLERS PLEASE --- I KNOW WHAT I HAVE FOR SALE IS WORTH THE MONEY I ASK FOR IT.. -- GREAT TOTALLY RUST FREE ARIZONA CAR --- CHECK UNDER THE FLOOR YOU WILL BE AMAZED.

//////////////////////////////////////////////// PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR LOTS OF PHOTOS ////////////////////////////////////////////////<CENTER>

<CENTER>

</CENTER></CENTER>

Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Not too shabby at all!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

I would prefer, or wish that Gregg would put his investment in2 his rare/unique "Turbo Monte"... Then many member's could help...& enjoy the rebuilt process. But, it's Gregg $'s and time....Good Luck `Gregg, I hope that you enjoy your new project

But Geeeeeeeeeeeeee, it's not a Chevy Monte Carlo
1980-1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Turbo: The Other Super Sport?

1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Turbo Sport Coupe

Any discussion of American turbo cars usually centers on various Buick Regals, Ford Thunderbird and a few Pontiac Trans-Ams. Unknown and nearly forgotten by many was the short lived Chevrolet Monte Carlo Turbo, a car that like the lone 89 Trans-Am, was a recipient of Buicks turbocharged heart.

Turbo Hood Detail

It seemed odd actually that Chevrolet waited until the very last of the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> generation G bodied Monte Carlos to stick Buick’s turbo 3.6 liter V6 under the hood. Buick had been using turbocharging since 70’s to beef up the gas mileage of its midsized and occasionally full-sized cars. Chevrolet decided that turbocharging the Monte Carlo would give its top engine more power with better gas mileage, something the domestic manufacturers were desperately trying to figure out how to do as the 80’s dawned.
In 1980, the first turbocharged Monte Carlo appeared. Using the Buick 3.8L V6 engine, it produced a healthy 170 hp sent to the rear wheels. That was 15 hp more than the biggest 305 V8 offered for the Monte Carlo that year. By 1980 standards, that was enough power to pass for a performance car, but a quick survey of the outside suggested otherwise. At first glance there was little to distinguish the turbo model from any other run of the mill Monte Carlo. Closer inspection of the hood revealed a hood scoop that had “TURBO” badging stamped on its side indicating that this Monte was special.

1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Interior

Inside it looked pretty much like any other Monte Carlo with baroque styled seats that looked more at home in a living room than a car. In keeping with the Monte Carlo’s luxury sport mission, it was loaded with the luxuries of the day including a t-top. Only a “TURBO” badge on the dash suggested something special. The turbo was a rather expensive option over the regular 3.8, but with 32% more power and better gas mileage, it was worth it. The turbo option sold over 13,000 units, but would have been more popular if lag was not an issue and looked more like a “sport” model on the outside. It had the same wire wheels and white walls as any standard Sport Coupe. If you got to Landau with the turbo, it even had the padded vinyl roof.
When the fourth generation Monte Carlo debuted in 1981, it up the ante on refinement, while staying close the previous generation’s design. It still had the body on frame construction of the old car, but was sleeker with a .48 cd vs. the 80’ models .53. The big news this year was an electronic fuel and emission management system called “Computer Command Control (CCC)”. With still no V8 optioned SS model in the lineup, Chevrolet brought back the Buick 3.8L V6 turbo as the top engine. This time the CCC system was able to improve performance by reducing lag to the point of making the 81’ model faster than the 80’ with the same horsepower. The CCC system was not designed to improve performance as much as economy and emissions, but it ended up improving drivability.
The new car was also handsome and conservatively styled with wire wheels, white walls and plenty of chrome. Still, no special external treatment for the turbo models beyond the hood hump and plaque inside. Chevrolet did offer a gauge package in 1981 that had everything but a tachometer and boost gauge (even on turbo models). Maybe the guys at Chevy were trying to hide the fact that the turbo was there. Lag was still a problem and many drivers complained that the engine did not seem as responsive when they floored it at speed. A 0 to 60 time of 11 seconds was fair, but was far from a drag star. The Monte Carlo really shined when cruising on the highway. Chevy buyers had become accustomed to the instant gratification that comes with V8 torque (or used to). Despite the lag, the 81 when ordered with the F41 sport suspension was a nice handling car. Not only did it handle well it was as fast as any F body once the turbo kicked in. Why, it was only 20 hp shy of the 1981 Corvette! In the end the old rule about no replacement for displacement would win over as the turbo option was retired after only 3,027 were sold for the 81 model year. The Buick turbo was not intended for performance at this stage in its development. Had Chevy held on until sequential fuel injection was introduced in 1984, the Monte Carlo SS or whatever they might have called it might have stolen some of the Grand National’s fire.

1981 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Turbo Sport Coupe

Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Space; thank you for finding and posting the ad on my new car.

As far as my Monte is concerned; I would love to restore it. There are a few factors that have come into play. First I feel that this car came looking for and found me. Second I feel that this car is a part of Chevrolet, General Motors, and Monte Carlo history. This is one of the rarest cars ever produced by Chevrolet. Because of its rarity I feel that this car should be restored to the same condition it was in as it rolled off the assembly line. If this was just a Monte LS like the thousands that were built I would have already swapped in bucket seats, center floor mounted shifter and console, Super Sport nose and rear spoiler and be done with it. I feel that I have been given a gift with such a rare car and with it comes the responsibility to restore it right. I do not yet have a garage built to do such a large project, I also don't have the information as to how this was built. I also bought the top half of a 1980 Monte turbo motor and one source has said those are the wrong parts. I am told that 81 is different from 80. Until I get the correct parts, the correct information, and the correct space to do a frame off restoration, it would be a crime to do anything with this car. This is one of the pit falls to a Mopar guy getting such a rare prize. I don't know all the right questions to ask or where to ask all the right questions. Gregg.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 04-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg, Looks Nice..

Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys. I'm planning on changing the color of this one to black metallic. The trunk lid will get a duck tail spoiler if I can find one. I saw one in January and didn't buy it because I didn't have anything to put it on. I'm going to raise the rear a few inches. The interior will get restored to stock with the exception of a wood grain kit for the dash and console. I'm going to put Crager SS wheels on it with spinner caps and BFG raised white letter tires. I'm going to put a chin spoiler on it too. I think I want to put a 318 in it if I can find the right K frame or put a slant six back in it. I have both engines already. The 360 that is in it now will go into my 81 Diplomat Superbee.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM

VERY NICE love dodge cars.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Awesome duster! Keep us posted on it

Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 PM

I love that interior.

Quick Reply: The newest car to join my fleet