Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

New (to me) car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New (to me) car

Well- step 1 towards the RWD conversion is done- found a donor car.

I was really looking for a 3800 w/ the T5 manual- but I couldn't pass this one up.

It's an 01 V6 automatic. Runs and drives great, has just a hair under 100k miles, and has always been a southern car and is virtually rust free underneath. Oh, and it was dirt cheap. It's not pretty but it'll do. I'm actually thinking about fixing up a few of the things (needs a seat, 1 headlight, and 1 taillight as well as a few other minor things) and DD'ing it for awhile until I'm ready for the swap. It has most of the missing parts laying in the interior (1 headlight, both taillights- but one's broken, most of the interior trim, spare tire, etc). T-tops are in great shape (just had them removed during the pics).

If I do DD it for a bit, I'll probably just patch up the obvious damage and rattle can it all flat black so it doesn't look quite so ghetto. I'm betting I can get at least what I paid for the car out of the engine & trans when I do the conversion (engine only has 99k on it, and the trans was rebuilt ~15k miles ago)- plus I should be able to sell some of the other stuff too.

-edit; on another note- I found an adapter to let me bolt a T56 to a T5 bell housing for just $200. I'm still working on finding a T5 clutch that can reliably hold the power.

Anyways- a couple pics:

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-06-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow Congrats on the new ride...I musta missed it so I assume when you say RWD conversion does that mean your converting your white 5th gen to rwd on the camaro chassis> That'll be sick definitely need to keep us updated with a pic/build thread.

Till then best of luck on the new car/dd !

Joe

Old 05-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member

Holy ****! I didn't know you were going RWD!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM
15 Year Member

Yeah- converting the monte to RWD. A couple reasons for it:

-tired of no traction w/ FWD, and not being able to put big tires on and still turn
-big power FWD is useless for autoX
-can't do big brakes up front and still fit wheels for slicks
-tired of being scared of trans destruction and the ridiculous price of parts (ie GMR chain)
-want something more original

I know I could just put the powertrain into the camaro (I'm sure I could fit the SC setup on the camaro with less fab than a RWD monte conversion)- but I don't want to be 1/100 fourth gen camaros at a car show/drag strip. Don't get me wrong, I like camaros- I just think you've got to have a super extreme lsx setup to stand out in the fbody crowd.

So the idea is to recreate the core of the John Moss monte:

1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo V-8 - Featured Vehicles - Hot Rod Magazine

with a few alterations:
-whipple/nitrous 3800 instead of the LT1 (for something different, and to use the built engine I already have to save money on the project)
-minus the awkward wheel flares (thinking narrowed rear end to get the tires in there)
-bring the engine further forward for better aesthetics and ease of working on it (I think it looks goofy being able to drop a watermelon between the engine and radiator, especially with the shorter V6)
-14" front brakes instead (C6 Z06 rotor / CTSV brembo caliper brake setup- that I already have which bolts to the fbody front hubs)
-adjustable coilovers and having the whole chassis set up lower- I'd like to be able to tuck the tire at all 4 corners for shows, but still have a nice, low ride height for street driving
-much more customized interior (adding the HUD out of a GTP, some weight mods and CF to come)
-18" wheels since 17's are pretty small by today's standards
-smoothed out engine bay- minimized wiring and underhood clutter

Then I shouldn't have to worry as much about traction (shooting for a 325+ rear tire), it should handle better, and I won't have to worry about breaking stuff in the trans anymore either since the T56's can be modded to easily handle what I want to put down (and are rated at least double what the 4t65's are stock for stock).

Overall, I just want something more reliable, more fun to drive, and with more 'wow' factor.

Don't get me wrong- this isn't going to be an overnight process (which is why I'm thinking about DD'ing the camaro for a bit)- since I'm still going to need to buy all the new suspension (particularly a new k member and coilovers), the T56 and clutch plus a way to mount it (either that adapter to use a T5 bellhousing and clutch or a custom piece to use the whole T56 w/ clutch), a rear end, wheels/tires, custom length driveshaft, manual conversion parts (pedal assembly, master/slave cyl, etc) along with some other minor things. Still may end up using some of the stock camaro suspension bits and such to get the swap done, and then upgrade later (part of the nice thing will be having access to the Fbody suspension aftermarket). Just need to get a final list of which brands/parts I want to go with, and start scouring ebay and ls1tech to try and get some new/lightly used parts for cheap like I did with the L67 swap.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-06-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's awesome Bumpin! I knew you wanted to go RWD but I didn't realize how serious you were about it. You're going to have the nicest 5th gen out there when it's done

Old 05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

this is awesome...cant wait to see it when your project is done!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Great project man! Can't wait to see the progress and final product. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Congrats Chad!!! Can't wait to see what you can do with this thing!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Sounds like a fun project , keep us posted as you build enjoy ...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Awesome - good luck with the build!

Quick Reply: New (to me) car