Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>New Chevy Small Block crate engine has 405 hp <

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >New Chevy Small Block crate engine has 405 hp <

New Chevy Small Block crate engine has 405 hp, endless possibilities
(Dear `Santa, please get the above for MCF Mod Barbara: )
Chris Bruce
With decades of history, the Chevrolet Small Block V8 has definitely stood the test of time, and the company has kept finding ways to make it better. At this year's SEMA Show in November, Chevy Performance is unveiling the latest upgrade to that legacy with the new ZZ6 350-cubic-inch (5.7-liter) crate engine. Offering 405 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque, the mill should add a big dose of power to any project car.

For the ZZ6, Chevy is working to improve the Small Block's high-rpm performance. To make that happen, the engine has Fast Burn aluminum cylinder heads and an updated valvetrain inspired by the LS family of powerplants. Large intake runners help with the airflow, and the valve springs use a tapered design that allows for less reciprocating mass. The mill also packs a forged steel crankshaft and high-silicon aluminum pistons inside of a cast iron block.

Chevy is offering the engine in two versions depending on what the builder needs. The Base configuration comes with an intake, distributor, water pump, and a few other parts but lacks carburetor and accessories. Conversely, the Turn Key option has everything, including the carb, air cleaner, starter, alternator, and more. More details about their availability will be announced at SEMA.
Show full PR text
NEW ZZ6 CHEVY SMALL BLOCK ADVANCES CRATE ENGINE LEGACY

Revised Fast Burn heads with LS-inspired valvetrain enhance high-rpm performance

2015-10-02

DETROIT – Developed with contemporary technologies, including a high-rpm valvetrain, Chevrolet Performance's new ZZ6 crate engine offers builders a modern twist on the classic Chevy Small Block 350.

It uses updated Fast Burn cylinder heads with beehive-style valve springs inspired by the LS engine family – a feature that enhances high-rpm capability, enabling the new high-performance engine to achieve 405 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of torque.

That's more power than any factory produced 350 engine ever installed in a Chevrolet production vehicle and it's one of the most powerful 350 Small Block-based crate engines in the nearly 27-year history of the "ZZ" lineup.

"The new ZZ6 is the ultimate ZZ 350-based crate engine from Chevrolet Performance," said Jim Campbell, GM U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. "After more than six decades, our powertrain engineers continue to refine and update the classic Small Block architecture, adapting new technologies to advance the legacy of the industry's most adaptable V-8 engine and giving customers new choices from the company that pioneered the concept of high-performance crate engines."

A pair of high-flow, Fast Burn-style aluminum cylinder heads, with large intake runners and 2.00/1.55-inch valves, enable the ZZ6 to flow big air, while the beehive-style valve springs offer exceptional high-rpm performance and durability. The unique, tapered shape of the valve spring allows for the use of a smaller spring retainer, which reduces the reciprocating mass of the valvetrain resulting in better valve dynamics.

The ZZ6 also uses an aggressive hydraulic roller camshaft, with .474/.510-inch lift and 208/221-degrees duration, that supports the engine's high-rpm airflow capability, while maintaining excellent low-speed drivability. Rounding out the rotating assembly is a forged steel crankshaft and durable, quiet high-silicon aluminum pistons housed in a four-bolt-main cast iron block.

A pair of all-new, aluminum valve covers caps off the new crate engine, giving it a distinctive, premium appearance.

Chevrolet Performance offers the ZZ6 crate engine in Turn Key and Base versions. The Base kit (P/N 19351532) includes a single-plane aluminum intake, distributor, water pump, damper and flexplate, but requires the carburetor and other accessories to be added.

The Turn Key kit (P/N 19351533) includes the carburetor, an air cleaner that matches the unique valve covers, the starter, distributor, alternator and additional accessories such as the air conditioning compressor and front-end accessory drive system.

Availability for the Turn Key and Base ZZ6 crate engine kits will be announced at the SEMA Chevrolet Press Conference on November 3, 2015.

FAST FACT: The first "ZZ" crate engine was introduced in 1989. Dubbed ZZZ, the 350 high-output engine was rated at 350 horsepower.

Driven by more than 100 years of motorsports heritage, Chevrolet Performance fuels the passions of automotive enthusiasts through high-performance vehicles, parts and racing. Performance cars include Camaro SS, SS 1LE, ZL1, Z/28 and the COPO Camaro. Chevrolet Performance parts include crate engines, transmissions, controllers and street-level components. Chevrolet competes in NASCAR, NHRA, IMSA, IndyCar and a variety of circle track racing series. More information can be found at: Chevy Performance: High Performance Racing Parts.
Featured GalleryChevrolet Performance ZZ6 350 V8 Crate Engine

Old 10-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Question

Member's, do U like the below ?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Santa please read this!!!!

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike

New Chevy Small Block crate engine has 405 hp, endless possibilities
(Dear `Santa, please get the above for MCF Mod Barbara: )

YES!!! Please Santa!!!! I have been a good girl and really need a new engine!!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Talking >Some Dreams do come true< Ho Ho Ho>

OK `Barbara,
Yes, you've been a very good Girl for me.
I will do my best to make your wish come true.
Oh, where's my cookies + leave out some Chili & Cornbread
out this year `OK >>
========================================
LoL, Hi Barbara,
I thought of you when I found the above. That would be
a great engine in your 4th Gen Monte 4-Sure!
I will remind Santa when I write him

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 10-03-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:28 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Most definitely!!! I would have it swapped in within the week!!!!
I need a new one 4 sure..the current one has season ending issue/s.
Not sure of the cause yet (ya know..the chicken or the egg theory) but I know which parts are broken or not moving like they should. The prognosis is not good. I don't have the money to fix it right now so I am done for the year

Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Hi `Barbara,
Sorry to read that your engine is sick . Yes, to rebuild or tear down is time consuming & expensive...+ with without a garage & tools, it makes it more difficult ...Maybe over the Winter you may find a good deal...I've seem many out there that have rebuild there engine & then lost interest & put them up for sale at decent prices. Maybe one of our member's will learn or know of one & let you know (I will 4-Sure)..

We both need to keep playing the Lotto & praying extra hard to the LOTTO GOD's or marry someone super Rich (LOL)...I think the member's should take up a collection (A Mod Barb Monte Fund)...or maybe get the MCF to sponsor your Monte ?)

I just wish you the best and things seem to work out `if we don't give `up on our dreams > GOOD LUCK 4-Reall>Sure

Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 AM

3 Year Member
1 Year Member

LOL The lottery will happen before marriage (for me anyway)...LOL Been there, done that..I am convinced there are no good ones left!!! LOL
Oh I will get it working again. I have already started the process of tearing it down. But now I am cold and will work on it more a little bit at a time.
I am too stubborn to give up!! I broke it (not sure how) so I will fix it!!

Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM

This engine would look soooooooooo good in my 85 SS!

My tranny and tires might not like it too much though.