Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

New Blackberry 9790

Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New Blackberry 9790

Good afternoon everyone... Just picked up the new Blackberry BOLD 9790 touch screen... It is a huge improvement from my 9700... Having the touch screen option is very iPhonish, I like it... Only issue so far is that the screen icons are rather small and you need some really good accuracy to activate the right icons... Loading and scrolling speeds are quite fast with the 1Gh processor... All in all, not a bad unit to go with... As stated before though, I would still pick the iPhone over the BB... The only reason I don't is because it is a corporate phone and has to run on the Enterprise system... Oh well, still much better than it's predecessors...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM

The new Blackberry actually specs out equal to or better than the iPhone. Let alone the Android phones like the one I bought to replace my Blackberry. I have serious issue with some of Apple's business practices, not to mention their latest two were already obsolete when they were released as far as specs are concerned compared to the phones that had come out weeks before.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im still a Droid guy but looks like a nice phone

Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
The new Blackberry actually specs out equal to or better than the iPhone. Let alone the Android phones like the one I bought to replace my Blackberry. I have serious issue with some of Apple's business practices, not to mention their latest two were already obsolete when they were released as far as specs are concerned compared to the phones that had come out weeks before.
Yeah, I hear ya... But just on quality of product and availability of apps they are worlds ahead... One other thing I've noticed is that the battery in the new Blackberry's (9790 & 9900) are lower rated than previuos models and mine does drain considerably quicker than my old 9700 did...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an old blackberry curve floating around that i had before my android phone. I liked it, but imo android is just far better. I did like the torch 9850. Full touch screen, never got to try it though

Old 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Blackberrys are messaging phones, not app phones.

Perhaps with BB10 they will make the transition to more APP friendly, but they have always been primarily an email and messaging beast.

Battery is bad? That is very odd. Perhaps it is just playing with it for right now? Did you do all the typical new phone battery setups, and make sure you don't have many programs running all at once?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Blackberrys are messaging phones, not app phones.

Perhaps with BB10 they will make the transition to more APP friendly, but they have always been primarily an email and messaging beast.

Battery is bad? That is very odd. Perhaps it is just playing with it for right now? Did you do all the typical new phone battery setups, and make sure you don't have many programs running all at once?
Hey Mike... Granted BB is a business phone through and through, however more and more productivity is being realized through apps that are not only business friendly, but are essential to our day to day lives... This is where I believe BB is greatly lagging and their market share and share prices are a true reflection of this... I absolutely love the Qwerty key board, but that is nolonger enough... I fear for BB's future as soon as Enterprise or a similar firewall is available for iPhone and/or Androids... As far as optimizing battery life, our IT dept have it down to a science and the phone is fully optimized... The battery in the new 9790 & 9900 is a 1250 compared to the old 9700 series which ran on a 1500 unit... I am a heavy user by necessity and the reduced battery life is an unfortunate fact as far as I have noticed... On the up side, the key board has a bit of a different feel to it and very precise, the keys are not too firm or too soft, they really did a nice job with it... Side note, alot of the apps that worked on the 9700's nolonger work on the 9790 and 9900, guess we have to wait till they catch up...

Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM

I wouldn't go that far as far as quality of build. My old blackberry was FAR more durable than iPhones that my friends have had. And I'm hard on phones too. To be honest, number of apps played absolutely no role in my decision when I upgraded. What apps the Blackberrys do have was enough for me. I never found myself wanting any additional apps. I have way too much to do to make use of 95% of the apps out there. I looked at the performance and in that the iPhone came in last. Even the new Blackberry has a better processor than the iPhone 4s. Not to mention, I wasn't paying 200+ bucks for a non-4G phone. And I sure as hell wasn't paying that much for an inferior phone as far as hardware in general.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
I wouldn't go that far as far as quality of build. My old blackberry was FAR more durable than iPhones that my friends have had. And I'm hard on phones too. To be honest, number of apps played absolutely no role in my decision when I upgraded. What apps the Blackberrys do have was enough for me. I never found myself wanting any additional apps. I have way too much to do to make use of 95% of the apps out there. I looked at the performance and in that the iPhone came in last. Even the new Blackberry has a better processor than the iPhone 4s. Not to mention, I wasn't paying 200+ bucks for a non-4G phone. And I sure as hell wasn't paying that much for an inferior phone as far as hardware in general.
I'm with you on that... I only use a few of the apps available, however right now even some of the most basic apps are not available on the new OS7 BB's...By the way, the new 9790 and 9900 are not true 4G capable, I know, I found it very surprising myself...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Im still a Droid guy but looks like a nice phone

It's got a real nice feel to it... Slim but still weighty enough to feel like a quality product... Also the keyboard wraps around the edge a little, very comfortable... Plus I'm old school and love the chrome trimmings... ...

Search this Thread