Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>New 2016 i-Coupe<

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb >New 2016 i-Coupe<

2016 BMW 650i Coupe

The 6-series is as great as ever.

FIRST DRIVE REVIEW
With the 6-series, BMW has a clear winner on its hands. The beautiful coupe, based on the 5-series sedan, has exceeded expectations—despite highly ambitious pricing that positions it close to the range-topping 7-series. Even though the four-door Gran Coupe, a direct competitor of the Audi A7 and the Mercedes-Benz CLS, has become the most popular 6-series model, BMW had us drive the traditional two-door coupe at the international launch in Lisbon, Portugal.
Tiny Tweaks

It takes a true BMW aficionado to spot the changes with this midterm facelift. Most prominently, the lower front air intake is restyled, and BMW has also changed the front kidney grille (nine blades instead of ten!). The look is intended to be sportier, we’re told, as some customers apparently thought the previous model looked too tame. For those who want more, there’s still an M Sport package, which has been altered, as well. Adaptive LED headlights are now standard, and their inner workings are redesigned. The side indicator lights move from the front fenders to the mirrors. A new Black Accent package replaces much of the exterior chrome with black trim.

Inside, the 6-series sports plenty of gloss-black trim and brushed-metal accents. Buyers can choose Dakota or Nappa leather, and two-tone color schemes are available. The telematics system, of course, is further improved and one of the best we have experienced. The rear seats can hardly be considered a desirable place to be for adults, due to the difficult access and limited head- and legroom. But the front seats are excellent, supportive, and comfortable. The controls are well laid out—with the exception of the infuriating gear selector, which requires way too much practice to be called intuitive. (Our favorite fix for this problem, the manual transmission, is not available on the 640i or the 650i but is still an option on the M6.)
At least the ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic is one of the best units on the market. It shifts rapidly and unobtrusively, always finding the right gear to match the driver's expectations. As much as we dislike the gear selector, we praise BMW for its correct, race-car-like operation in the manual gate: You pull to upshift, the intuitive movement when you are pinned into your seat by hard acceleration, and push forward to downshift, which you typically do while braking, when your body is traveling forward, as well.

Riding a Wave of Torque

While the base 640i retains its 315-hp twin-turbo straight six, we spent our time in the 650i, with its 4.4-liter V-8, also sporting two turbos. With its 445 horsepower, the 650i charges to 60 mph in a mere four-and-a-half seconds and on to 155 mph. Whether on two-lanes or on the freeway, the 650i is an utterly enthralling car to drive. It rides on a massive wave of torque, it accelerates with unusual urgency, and it emits a distant rumble worthy of a true sports car. The growl is underscored by the sports exhaust system that is now standard equipment. This engine is the basis of the 4.4-liter V-8 that powers the M6, and it shows.
The chassis is supremely capable, with great directional stability and the eagerness that you’d expect from a sporty coupe—but not necessarily from such a heavy vehicle. It’s unfortunate that the electromechanical power steering still lacks road feel, and we also find it artificially heavy in all of its settings. The optional all-wheel-drive system gets you a hydraulic steering setup, but it also adds still more weight to an already heavy car.
Its shortcomings are few and far between, and the BMW 6-series remains one of the best luxury-performance cars on the market—and certainly one of the most beautiful. We wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who can afford it. (Big $'s, but it's on my Lotto Winning Dream List)
View Photos

Member's, do you like it ? Yes > `No > Maybe >>>>> ?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Crazy Awesome!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Default Photo's

Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yummy!!!! Just don't show my fiance - he has his eye on the M4 so don't tempt him with the new 6 series LOL!!!

Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Hi `Amy,
Your fiancé has good taste in automobile I love BMW & really love the M4's...(They are presently out of my price range, but they are a great dream>ride: )

Life is short, he should get one `if he can afford one 2 Enjoy his journey...(or play the lotto & pray)

Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM
Talking >Just 4 Entertainment & 4 U > EnJoy <

Watch Tom Cruise Trash a BMW M3 In the ‘Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation’ Trailer
Member's, would you want to go & see this Movie ? Post & let us know `OK

By Nicole Wakelin 19 hours ago

The time has come for the fifth installment in the Mission: Impossible franchise, and it will feature plenty of insane, impossible, physics-defying action. It will also feature a the BMW M3 Sedan that looks to have a rough go of it in the trailer.

It’s covered in a Silverstone Metallic paint job that starts off bright and shiny and ends, well, pretty much the way you’d expect it to end in a movie loaded with car chases. We see Tom Cruise careening through narrow streets with motorcycles in pursuit, sideswiping everything in site and destroying that pretty paint.
RELATED: Watch 3 Action Packed Minutes from ‘Furious 7′

We also see the same BMW M3 flying off the top of a set of steps, backwards, like you do with your car when you’re a spy on a top secret mission to save the world from certain doom. You’ll be able to see all the action and discover the car’s ultimate fate when the film opens on July 31st.
In the previous Mission Impossible film, BMW showcased a Vision EfficientDynamics concept that eventually became the i8. This time the M3 F80, the X5, and the s1000 RR from BMW Motorrad get their chances to cause trouble.
RELATED: Check Out Full Photos of the 2015 BMW M3

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-25-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:39 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The M4 is probably out of his price range too but he has 2 very nice 3 series he can use for trades - an 03 M3 convertible and a 12 335is.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'm a lifelong fan of the bmw's, never been able to own one yet, well that's not true I could have bought a used one at any time lol, but I just haven't. I've always been concerned about the maintenance costs, and general cost of ownership after a friend of mine owned a jag xj series and they quoted him $1600 to do the rear brakes, this was at a shop but still put a scare into me for foreign vehicle maintenance, although I am going to own one some day. This would be a beautiful one to own as it is very nice and looks like it has a great power train in it

Old 03-26-2015, 12:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2015
1 Year Member

I never really liked the BMWs but the headlights on this one and a few others are really nice looking.