Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Need info and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need info and opinions

Ok guys need a little advice here, my fiance fell in love with a 06 Pontiac G6 GT, long story short shes already thinking about getting it I've researched common problems and have come up with steering issues as the main problem, but im still in the dark about these cars. Anybody know anyone with one that has an opinion on them? Any info good bad what to look for anything like that is appreciated and I'd love to know.
Little info on the car is its a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan, smoke grey color like my LS was. 115,000 miles. and has a tannish colored interior with leather seats. Very beautiful car when I looked at in couple light scratches here and there and one small dent in the pillar by the drivers door. When I pointed these all out she just shook her head and said I don't care no big deal. Lol needless to say she loves the car so any info on if they're good or not before we look deeper into it would be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Its a replacement for the grand am. My boss has one and has had no big problems. A dent on the pillar however is a problem. If its the structural pillar it could reduce the roof crush weight and make the roof collapse easier on a roll over. They only make the pillars strong enough to hold double the weight of the car and the momentum the car has on a rollover usually exceeds that. If she loves the G6 find a different one for her. dents are no big deal most places but that is a spot that does bother me.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 PM

I had the same feeling. But i figured if the cars r good cars id get it fully inspected by my mechanic before making any type of decision. Its a very small dent hard to describe i guess id say a hail dent not deep or large could easily be popped out. Anyway shes going to talk to her credit union and see what she comes up eith before we start any decisions. Like i said no matter what the cars going to my mechanics to get fully inspected lol

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ther not bad.cars, but there not great either imo

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My wife's cousin has the hardtop convertible. He told me before that he liked the car, that is was good on gas and performed pretty well. He is the type of guy to do a lot of research before he buys something. So I think they must be pretty dependable if he bought one.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Just to add thanks for the info and be brutally honest lol I want to know anything good or bad about the car. Its not so much that she loves G6s its the color of the car. She loves two colors on cars. The burnt orange color and the greyish color my monte was. Around here its hard to find either color. And when you find an orange one its overpriced since they know kids will buy that color and its usually sold within weeks. Just wondered Mike (JG) why they're not so great? Shes not looking for anything fancy, even though this cars loaded from what I've seen. shes just looking for a nice looking four door car that gets pretty good mpg, her taurus is getting 20-22mpg

Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
My wife's cousin has the hardtop convertible. He told me before that he liked the car, that is was good on gas and performed pretty well. He is the type of guy to do a lot of research before he buys something. So I think they must be pretty dependable if he bought one.
I've seen the hard top convertiables they're pretty slick cars. I wish I could convice her to get a 2 door sadly shes a four door car person

Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM

It is the 3.6. And a grand am (g6). Its just a mid level car. Its like asking if a malibu is a nice car its not bad but not great just kind of meh. Decently dependable but wont last 300k. Good gas milage but not much over 30mpg. NO aftermarket parts available.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
It is the 3.6. And a grand am (g6). Its just a mid level car. Its like asking if a malibu is a nice car its not bad but not great just kind of meh. Decently dependable but wont last 300k. Good gas milage but not much over 30mpg. NO aftermarket parts available.
Just to clarify, the 06 G6 GT came with the 3500 v6 (201hp 222 ft lbs). The 3.6L DOHC v6 didn't come out in the G6 until the 08 GXP model. There isn't much aftermarket, but there is some such as at WOT-Tech.

G6's seem to be good cars, but there's bound to be a few quirks. If you can get a good deal on one, go for it.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Well it seems like we're going to look around a bit more. Figured I'll shovel some money into upgrades on the truck while we look around at a few more options. Its a nice looking car but with 115k already we figured we'd look around at others with lower miles and possibly a little more cost and get a decent car with lower miles. Just to throw it out there though. This will be her ccar so modability dosen't really factor in much, she freaked at the idea of an afftermarket deck or subs. I'd be scared to what she'd say if I asked if I could throw on a mod lol/

Quick Reply: Need info and opinions