Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

National Walking Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up National Walking Day

Today is National Walking Day. It is sponsored by The American Heart Association to raise awareness of the importance of physical activity to keep your heart healthy. If you have a short commute to work you may want to consider walking, or take 30 minutes out of your lunch hour and go for a walk. Sitting at your desk all day can take a toll on your health, and going for a daily walk can help to keep your heart healthy.

American Heart Association - Learn and Live
Click

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add thumb's `Up : )
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Today is National Walking Day. It is sponsored by The American Heart Association to raise awareness of the importance of physical activity to keep your heart healthy. If you have a short commute to work you may want to consider walking, or take 30 minutes out of your lunch hour and go for a walk. Sitting at your desk all day can take a toll on your health, and going for a daily walk can help to keep your heart healthy.

American Heart Association - Learn and Live
Yes, please click above link & learn.

Thanks Seattle `Mike for the reminder....
I think with the high price of gas there is going to be more people walking 4-Sure...*Maybe that's the blessing in disguise ?

I have always walked a lot & still do every night in the warehouse.
One night with a McDonalds walking meter, I had over 10 miles recorded (I don't know how accurate they are, but I know I still walk a lot every day & every night.) Maybe that's why I can never gain any weight...I can't hold still. LOL

Get Healthy

Statistics show that 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women are at risk for heart disease, and research shows that poor lifestyle is a major contributor.

Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health * Tip: You can walk a long way `if you
are following a nice object...LOL ~> Really ~> 4-Sure ~> LOL

Walking is a low-impact exercise with numerous health benefits. Here's how to get started.

By Mayo Clinic staff
Walking is a gentle, low-impact exercise that can ease you into a higher level of fitness and health. Walking is a form of exercise accessible to just about everybody. It's safe, simple and doesn't require practice. And the health benefits are many. Here's more about why walking is good for you, and how to get started with a walking program.

Benefits of walking

Walking, like other exercise, can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. Walking can help you:
  • Lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
  • Raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
  • Lower your blood pressure
  • Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes
  • Manage your weight
  • Improve your mood
  • Stay strong and fit
All it takes to reap these benefits is a routine of brisk walking. It doesn't get much simpler than that. And you can forget the "no pain, no gain" talk. Research shows that regular, brisk walking can reduce the risk of heart attack by the same amount as more vigorous exercise, such as jogging.

Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health - MayoClinic.com
Click above link for more infor on walking

I'll walk when I run outa gas or my Monte breaks down

I hope the above thread by `Mike inspires our member's to take a walk & stay in shape to EnJoy your Journey of Life...
I'm outa here...got 2 get back 2 work, play time over on the MCF

Peace/out from `Space

Last edited by Space; 04-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have decided to get in better shape recently and am gonna start with some walking. I know several people who have lost a lot of weight just by walking.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I have decided to get in better shape recently and am gonna start with some walking. I know several people who have lost a lot of weight just by walking.

Hi `Lou, & I hope Mike's thread inspires you to start walking everyday...It's amazing how good it is for you...I've seen the results with the senior citizens, plus the guys at work..

I talked the guys at work to give up there motorized carts & start walking & now no one uses the carts & the guys really have all lost a lot of weight & they claim they feel 100% better since they started walking their shifts...They now also go walking with their wife & kids...It's really amazing. I hope you follow through (I will be asking you now)

Lou, to me it's easier or more fun if you have some of your favorite tunes to listen to as you walk...Starting is the hardest part, but once you get started and see the results, you won't want to stop...Good Luck & I hope that you & others have a program to stay in shape....If you don't do `it, who will ?
It's your life ~> tick-Tick

4-Sure Good Luck

Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM

I run about 5-6 miles everyday. do i have to walk today? can i just take the day off? :p

Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MayoJ1
I run about 5-6 miles everyday. do i have to walk today? can i just take the day off? :p

It's Ok with me `if you take the day `off, but I'm not in control...Sounds like you could afford to take a day `off 4-Sure unless you have lost control & your Commanding Officer says `NO ~>

I hope that everyone is in control of their own life 4-Sure..
WoW six miles a day is a super good run...I miss running on the beach (It's so much better then the warehouse I work)..
EnJoy your Day Off 4-Sure! + thanks for your service to your country 4-Sure !

Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Well, I'm the CFL (command fitness leader) for our clinic. so i pretty much make my own rules when it comes to PT lol. and its always my pleasure to serve OUR country. cuz its not just mine :p