Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My parents wanted me to do this.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My parents wanted me to do this.....

So about 2 months ago my dad was dignosed with Kidney cancer in his left kidney. When i first herd the news i did not know what to think or how to react. I am and have always been a person that keeps stuff inside and doesnt really share my feelings with anyone. This made my parents really worried becasue they can never tell how i am feeling and couldnt tell how i was taking the news of the cancer. The always told me that it would be a good idea to go and talk to a counsler if i wanted to and to just talk to people about what i am going through with the cancer in our family. But me being me never did and most likely will never do that. I have only told two people personally so far one was my roommate at college and then my girlfriend.

Then my parents about a month ago started to think that i was changing and not acting the same as i did before the news. so they really have been pushing me to talk to people about the cancer. So i went online and read some stories about different peoples situations and stuff like that and i my self could tell that it did make me feel better and felt like a weight was lifted off my soulders.

So now i have decided to just let as many people knwo as i can and see if that can help me even more with the news. I think it will because it always better to talk about stuff like this i think.

My dad had surgery on May 14th to remove his kidney becasue the doctors believed that the cancer had all stayed in that kidney and not spread to anywear else in his body. the surgery went a little longer than they expected but everything else went perfect.

the one thing with kidney cancer that is a problemn is that it doesn't respond to chemotherapy like most other cancers do. as in chemotherapy has no effect on kidney cancer. but they do have some drugs that kind keep the cancer from growing anymore than it has. So that is one good thing.

My dad is still going in for more test right now to make sure that there are no other spots of cancer in his body. he also had to have a Biopsy done on his lungs because there was a couple of spots that concerned the doctor. he got the results back from the biopsy and it was nothing. My dad thinks it was problem from when he undercoated the 69 Charger and didnt have a mask at first.

but my dad is doing fine now he just gets tired really fast now when he is doing something. and it is really upsetting to him because he is not able to work on the 69 charger at mush if at all right now because of that. Also when ever i do something on my car he would always offer to help and help wether i wanted it or not. But now he is unable to do much and i know it really bothers him that he cant use his hands to fix something becasue he is still recovering.

Also now with the economy where it is and the cancer basically the rebuild of the 69 Charger has came to a stop because of money. Which also upsets my dad alot.
My mom and dad decided to take a little vaction to which me and my brother both said that they needed to take to get away from everything. So they went down to our Grandparents in lake of the ozarks on wednesday and are coming back tomorrow. I think that this vacation really helped my dad out becasue he loves to fish and that is alll he has been doing down there. and i think my mom needed it to. to just get away from everything and the end of the school year (she is a teacher).

well thank you for reading

Luke

Old 06-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Luke!

I've had a number of close relatives with various types of cancer. Aunts and uncles. My mom had breast cancer.

It's always better to talk about things. Not necessarily with a councillor. I find that friends and family are the best to talk to, because they know you better than a councillor does.

It is very frustrating for someone when they're used to being able to do certain things, and suddenly they can't do it anymore. Then there's the mental stigma with the knowledge that they have (or had) cancer.

To most people, cancer is still seen as a death sentence with no chance for parole. When someone gets cancer, they're always thinking "how long do I have left?" Even when the cancer is removed, most cancer patients always have questions in the back of their mind. "What if it comes back?" "What am I going to do?" "What will my family do?" "I'll never...(insert about a thousand different things here)"

Everybody deals with this situation differently. Many people take the tragedy/sad stance on getting cancer. They've determined in their mind that the person is going to die. Others are determined to keep positive and keep telling themselves that they're going to beat it. My mom was like that. She convinced herself that she'd beat it.

I think what your dad really needs from you is to keep positive. Make plans for the future together. "As soon as you get better dad, we're going to finish the Charger". That kind of thing. Don't use the word "if" in those plans.

Also, try to be helpful, but not in a patronizing way. That can be tricky, because it depends on the mood your dad is in.

Of course prayers always help. I'll keep him and your family in my prayers also.

With the medical advances they've made with cancer, your dad should be around for many years!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I really hope he feels better and is able to work on the charger. Im glad it helped to talk about it.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM

Martin Luther King

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope. .

Hi `Luke,

I can relate to your experience with your father, and attempting to
understand/deal with his health issues. I feel your pain, but glad that you
are expressing your feelings instead of keeping them
all bottled `up inside.

When my grandfather had his stroke @ the begining of this year
I had just began my new `job in Kuwait, but returned back
to the state's to assist, & be with the man I loved, & that loved & raised me.
Yes, it's a scary experience when it happens to someone you love,
and especially your `father.

I've learned that we all fade in time, and that human's are
inherently fragile. Living & being raised by seniors,
I've seen/known many that have survived cancer,
and I shall contain your dad in my prayers to the
Master Creator of `All that your father can recovery from
this attack on him.

It takes effort to stay strong & positive, but if you do,
it will really help yourself, & your father (family)
EnJoy every moment you have with those you love.
4-Sure.
Luke, the best to you & yours.

Space & the BeachBum's

Last edited by Space; 06-15-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about everything. Will hope and pray for your father's safety.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

luke,

kudos to you for posting this. i can also relate and i know how hard it is to talk about this stuff.

scientific and technological advances in cancer research, even in the last 10 years since my mom passed, have been substantial. i'm sure your dad has some wonderful doctors working with him and is having the best care possible from both them, and his family. i believe that before you know it, your dad will be back out there working on the cars with you. difficult times like these are a way to bring families closer and make you stronger. i can promise that you will all come out of this stronger and more resilient and much closer.

stay positive luke, and know that if you ever need to talk, we are here for you!!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Luke.

I'm glad you shared this with us. I have said it before, we are not just individuals that come to this forum. We are a family of friends that care about one another.

I'm glad your father has on the right road to recovery. Cancer hits close in my home too.My son's real father died of stomach cancer and he was only 30.

Just keep telling your father that he WILL be driving his charger soon. Give him reasons to keep fighting and wanting to live.

So keep your chin up and things will get better.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Luke, I know how you feel. I just went through 4 years of hell with my mother and her 3 Lung Cancer surgeries. She finally passed away from a stroke in April, but the Lung Cancer was coming back again. I really didn't need counseling, but it helped to talk with friends and other family members.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Hey luke,

I have to say that when it comes to personal feelings, we're kind of in the same boat.. and your story did make my eyes water a lil (rarely happens, and even more rare for me to admit it)

But that is because ive been dealing with the same thing with one of my closest uncles (he is the reason why i now love cars), he has a brain tumor which is still growing and i get a few calls every year to tell me i should fly down because he wont make it through the night (but he keeps on fighting!!)

Anyone, i just want to tell you that im glad your dad is doing much better, and to say that i know how much it can hurt to watch someone not be able to do what they love doing.

Hang in there!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Hey Luke,

I'm glad you posted this....I really hope that everything works out for your dad, and he can get back to his good old self soon!
I can't relate to having a parent in such a condition, but i've had grandparents, and it really worked on me. I'll never forget seeing my grandma about an hour before she passed away. She was in ICU with breathing tubes all over the place, and held my hand really tight and kept saying "help me" through her breathing mask...at the time I was only 14, but still to this day, 8 years later, I think about it, and miss her dearly. Just know that chances are when your feeling down, there are plenty of others in the same boat, and it helps to let it all out, and talk about it....It helps me to talk about rough times with really close friends, my cousin, and my mom...

Hang in there buddy, and don't ever be afraid to tell us things around here.

I hope everything gets better for your dad, family, and yourself really soon!

Quick Reply: My parents wanted me to do this.....