Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My New(ish) Whip

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Default My New(ish) Whip

Incase you don't remember, in mid March I totaled my monte

Since then, I looked for about three weeks before finding my eventual next car. I was going to post this then, but I've had some serious issues with my internet, and I've been very busy. Either way, here you go:

First picture of the car right after picking it up:

Chevy VS. Mopar, we know which is better

The front end, it didn't come with the bottom trim piece but this was the first photo of the car after I put it on, it's still on stands in the picture

I picked the car up with 68,000 miles with a repaired salvaged title for $6,200, an offer that was definately too sweet to pass up in my eyes. The clutch is good, it has a few dents that I am going to have taken out soon, a vacuum leak that shouldn't be too hard to fix, and that's about it. Oh yeah, I had to replace the switch for the reverse lights. It's a 5speed and tons of fun to drive

Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Sweet! Is this the super or turbocharged?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Incase you don't remember, in mid March I totaled my monte

Yes, I remember, but I tried to 4-get...I get upset look'in at wrecked Monte Carlo's
Happy to read that you found a super deal and a rare limited produced `Chevy...

Look 4ward to your review & how it runs & if U beat the Neon Also, I hope U post if it's the Turbo or SuperCharged Version ?

Thanks for letting us know what you got...Are you happy with your new ride ? Wish you good luck/no tickets & no problems....Keep us updated...

Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Its supercharged, the turbo'd ones are soooo expensive, and I love driving it space, there is so much less body roll when handling than there was in the monte

Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your reply & I was happy to read that you like your new ride 4-Sure...It has to be a Blast to drive..
Wish you a fun/safe trouble`free journey....

Below is infor I found on your ride...
<!-- in-page gallery container would be inserted here for galleries --><ARTICLE id=primary><HEADER><!-- hero image goes here -->
First Drive Review
arrow

<HGROUP>Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged

GM's newest heavy metal packs some heat.

</HGROUP></HEADER>Cobalt resides at No. 27 on the periodic table, sandwiched between iron and nickel on a working-class street that's also home to copper, zinc, and manganese. It's nature's industrial rust belt, the Lower Cuyahoga of the atomic scale. Chevy probably chose the name because cobalt is used as a hardener in high-performance alloys such as those found in aircraft jet turbines. After 23 years of building the Chevy Cavalier, GM's small-car credentials could stand a little hardening, too.
During a recent lull in California's monsoon season, Chevy allowed a press gaggle to turn miles in 2005 Cobalt models, including the 145-hp, 2.2-liter sedan and base coupe and the 205-hp supercharged 2.0-liter SS coupe (a 175-hp, 2.4-liter engine option comes later in '05). Initial skepticism ran at redline. The Cobalt shares General Motors' front-drive Delta platform with the Saturn Ion, the sensational belly-flop of model year 2003. How good could the bow-tie version be?
As it happens, it's astoundingly good--an Olympic long jump for GM, from dead last to the head of the class, right up front with the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. You may have already gleaned that from our first Cobalt preview last July. We alluded to superb interior trim that mimics a Volkswagen's; the fancy hydroelastic rear-suspension bushings that pacify the ride (and cost GM $30 extra per car, according to vice-chairman Bob Lutz); a cabin soundproofed to luxury-car stillness by multiple door seals, molded acoustic pads, and 37 pounds of laminated "quiet steel"; and the Euro-'spensive Continental and Pirelli tires.
Here's what we didn't know then: The $21,995 Cobalt SS--it comes only as a coupe and only with a five-speed manual--puts a heavy horsepower dollop on top of a taut, refined handling package. Forward of your feet is an extensively reworked version of GM's Ecotec 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve four-cylinder engine, augmented by an Eaton M62 twin-rotor, or Roots-type, supercharger with a peak blow of 12.0 psi and an integrated air-to-water intercooler that flushes away unwanted charge heat. Headlining the Ecotec's internal mods are a forged steel crank, sodium-filled exhaust valves, an oil cooler, and oil-jet cooling of the pistons. The package supplies 205 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 200 pound-feet of torque at 4400 rpm--all saddled to about 2900 pounds.

A boost gauge on the left A-pillar twitches to the rhythms of the blower. Other accouterments include a better stereo, leather seats with body-color inserts, and a leather-wrapped shifter and steering wheel. Chevy will offer a Performance package early this year, price as yet unknown, with Recaro seats and a Quaife limited-slip diff.
Steer the SS Supercharged into a corner with confidence. GM handling guru John Heinricy, director of high-performance vehicle operations and a dinkum racer himself, has already been there 1000 times before, sharpening out the understeer and flattening out the roll and wallow. Behind the 18-inch alloy wheels and 215/45 tires is the FE5 suspension with a larger front anti-roll bar, stiffer springs, and aluminum L-shaped control arms anchoring the front struts. They replace the base Cobalt's FE1 suspension and its steel arms. The rear stays a Cobalt-standard twist-beam axle.
Tuning the forward control arms' all-important bushings, which must be both squishy for bump absorption and firm for handling, was a trick, said Heinricy. The work happened at Heinricy's finishing school on the Nürburgring in Germany and at other tracks back in the U.S., including GM's new 2.9-mile handling course at the Milford, Michigan, proving ground that engineers have dubbed the "Lutzring," after Bob Lutz. Special high-stiffness bushings with small air pockets for shock absorption supplied the necessary compromise in ride and handling, and engineers devised a calibration for the electric-assist steering that keeps effort relatively low but precision surprisingly high.
Over the twisting trails of Santa Barbara County, a Quaife-equipped SS laid the power down smoothly and ate the apexes with fast reflexes and stable course control. The Dodge SRT-4 supplies more horsepower and torque for a few hundred bucks less, but it's a rough-and-tumble street fighter. The Cobalt SS Supercharged trades on its refined civility, two words we don't normally associate with a GM economy car. But then cobalt isn't a metal we normally consider precious. Continued...

<NAV class=mod>

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 2-door coupe

BASE PRICE: $21,995

ENGINE TYPE: supercharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, port fuel injection

Displacement: 122 cu in, 1998cc
Power (SAE net): 205 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 200 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 103.3 in Length: 180.5 in
Width: 68.4 in Height: 55.6 in
Curb weight: 2900 lb

C/D-ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.7 sec @ 97 mph you should get in the 13's & over 100 MPH
Top speed (drag limited): 140 mph
PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (MFR'S EST):
EPA city driving: 23 mpg
EPA highway driving: 29 mpg <~ Decent MPG's 2

Last edited by Space; 05-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by oneslowmonte
Chevy VS. Mopar, we know which is better
Yeah the Mopar is better sweet Cobalt ive driven a few of em love the orange color

Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Sweet ride! Looks great in orange

Old 05-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Sweet looking ride love the color only thing I don't care for about cobalts/g5s is the lack of head room or how small it is inside. And the uncomfortable seats otherwise they're nice Lil cars.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Yeah the Mopar is better sweet Cobalt ive driven a few of em love the orange color
Really? Those Cobalt SS's kick ***. The 2010 models put out 260 hp from the factory. That's more than a stock supercharged 6th gen Monte.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by Taz
Really? Those Cobalt SS's kick ***. The 2010 models put out 260 hp from the factory. That's more than a stock supercharged 6th gen Monte.
Yeah but SRT4s put 230 to the wheels stock & caliber SRTs put over 300 to the wheels

Quick Reply: My New(ish) Whip