Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

my mom may take the monte

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

If it were me, i'd get a 6th gen. And dont overlook the 5th Gen Z34s either.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM

knocking it up to about 7775-8175.
i dont know if i should just buy a newer car with this, do a lease, or take out a loan. if i took out a loan i would be going for a car probably around 11-12k and keeping the 8k for payments as long as i could untill i run out and pay it montly by myself. does this sound reasonable?
IMO, I'd try to find something with decently low miles that's in your price range rather than taking out a loan. If you do a loan, you'll end up paying a lot more for the car in the end. Instead, if you find a car in your price range, you could still take the money you would've spent monthly on a loan, put it in a savings account- and use that towards your next car.

and what kindov car should i look for, general motors mostly
i like the 07/08 monte but im iffy
i also like the newer impalas but i want good options
If you're trying to stay GM- I'd recommend going to test drive a GTP if you liked the monte. Same basic features as the montes, but with a few more options and all the mod potential of the SC 3800. Plus, you'll be where you want with fuel mileage too.

If you want rwd and GM, you don't have much option other than a camaro- but it might be hard to find an LS1 car that has decent miles and hasn't been raped on for that money.

I really like the looks of the '09/10 Malibu. They have a nice appearence to them.

But so do the Impalas.
The bad thing about the new Malibu's are they are pretty steep price wise. I looked at a few just before I got my GXP- and they were talking like $28k+ just to get a car with a V6. I'll admit, I didn't test drive a 4 cylinder model- but I didn't like the idea of going down to a 4 cylinder from a V6 in such a big car. The other thing I didn't like is the 'wheels' on the midrange model (the 5 spoke ones) are actually hubcaps on a steel wheel (the steel has windows so it hides behind the hubcap)- so I can't imagine the finish on those hubcaps will last as long as a normal wheel finish would either.

As far as the new Impala's- my mom has one (the 3500)- and I just think its really stripped on options and bland- especially on the outside compared to the last generation. Overall, the whole car is just a little unimpressive- they're not bad cars- just bland.

i have to have a car that will keep me "interested" and i wont get bored with after a month
To me, that screams either a GTP or an LS1 car (if you can afford it, they'll be a bit more expensive). When you get bored, just throw on a few more cheap mods, gain lots of power, and be happy again for awhile.

except I threw up when I read BMW M3. If lucian*91 was thinking that, I'd suggest he just give me the 12grand, I'll kick him in the ***** and we'll call it even!
Seriously? Whats wrong with an M3? Quality wise, and performance wise its head and shoulders above anything on that list, and will probably hold its value better than any of the other cars he listed. If you won't buy a car just because some people who own it are cocky, then IMO- thats a bad reason not to buy a car- they really are excellent vehicles.

Here is a kicker...you said earlier you kinda like Malibu...some Malibu's have the same V6 as the new Cameros...that is right that 305hp V6 is in some Malibu's. So you can check them out again if you want.
Link to this? Even if it is the same engine, its not 300hp; the Malibu V6 is only 252 hp (and only gets 17 city, 26 hwy MPG with the 6 speed- worse than my V8, lol).

Plus, as I said before- I just went to Chevy's site- you have to get at least a 2LT (or LTZ) model- which starts at $25k. Just adding the V6 (and the required package of stuff to add it) makes the base price $27,700 with NO other options (and a stripped down LTZ with only the V6 is just a hair under $30k).

I know you can get used, but being only a couple years old- and the majority of the cars having the 4 cylinder- I don't see him finding one anywhere near his budget of $12k (much less his cash budget of $8k) with decent miles or in good shape.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:21 PM

*cough* *cough* Mustang... *cough*....

If I had the money to do it again, I would get my car. That said, if a mustang isnt something you would like (and yes... it was worth every penny to get a cobra over a GT), Id go muscle.

http://www.davesclassicauto.com/details.php?id=353

http://www.davesclassicauto.com/details.php?id=359

Get something that has N/A power that screams. Look at things with anything from 289's to small block 350s. If you get pulled over in these, its going to be because they want to look at the car. The links are from a small dealer in FARGO nd. Im sure around you there are more at better prices.

Check out:

Chevy Camaros
Pontiac Firebirds
Pontiac Trans Ams
Ford Mustangs
Chevy Chevelle
Dodge Charger

The years will fluctuate, and you might not get some Mustang BOSS or prime yeared 70 Challenger, but its still going to turn heads.

Last edited by vita; 06-20-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

Seriously? Whats wrong with an M3? Quality wise, and performance wise its head and shoulders above anything on that list, and will probably hold its value better than any of the other cars he listed. If you won't buy a car just because some people who own it are cocky, then IMO- thats a bad reason not to buy a car- they really are excellent vehicles.

Try selling a control arm for one. Random parts! You'll never convince me of the quality of these cars.

But your right, I don't like the owners either

Last edited by JuniorCar; 06-20-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte

Link to this? Even if it is the same engine, its not 300hp; the Malibu V6 is only 252 hp (and only gets 17 city, 26 hwy MPG with the 6 speed- worse than my V8, lol).

Plus, as I said before- I just went to Chevy's site- you have to get at least a 2LT (or LTZ) model- which starts at $25k. Just adding the V6 (and the required package of stuff to add it) makes the base price $27,700 with NO other options (and a stripped down LTZ with only the V6 is just a hair under $30k).
I was told by a guy that works at the GM Plant that it was the same engine. But upon researching it I can't find where it is the 305 hp engine that is in the Camero.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Malibu does have the DOHC 3.6L That is in the Camaro, but the one in the Malibu lacks direct injection, so it makes much less power. The Malibu is still a very nice car IMO.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 AM

I gotta come in (again) and suggest the GTP. Its gonna take about half your money for a decent (purchase worthy) one, then you're gonna have all this extra money to do things to it (and the list is endless on what you can do to these cars). The one and only problem is, FWD, but who cares? You're gonna get a base horsepower of (and I think) 250, and like I said, there is just so much you can do to these cars. Its also got (IMO) one of the best engines ever made. It just seems like the best choice you could go with given the money you have. I mean, with the money you're gonna have, thats half for the car, then half for modding. Even if its not tuning you're going for, there are aftermarket cosmetics out the @ss! IDK, just giving some info here

I also have somthing to say about the M3, its all about luck (Ive heard). Some are money bags, and some are tough as nails.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
The Malibu does have the DOHC 3.6L That is in the Camaro, but the one in the Malibu lacks direct injection, so it makes much less power. The Malibu is still a very nice car IMO.
It also comes on a car that isn't RWD

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM
1 Year Member

well i know a guy and just found out that he purchased a dodge charger with 50k for 7/8k.. retailed at 14k.. he is in the buisness and is one of the few to access these low prices. he might look into the chargers, 300's and grand prix's they have.. unfortunatly company doesnt use gtp grand prixs..lol

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Just to clarify, I know you said you like the '07/'08 Montes...you mean the '06/'07 Monte's. 2007 was the Monte Carlo's last year.

As going from a 2003 Monte Carlo SS and recently buying a different car, I can give you some tips. If you really really liked your Monte Carlo, I'd stick with something similar to it. I went out and bought a 2001 Camaro Z28, much much faster than the Monte, cooler sounding, all that. Except I miss a lot of the things my '03 Monte had, the compouter that told you the direction you're headed, temperature, fuel efficiency, all that stuff. I missed the big back seat, the big trunk, the sunroof (even though the Camaro has T-tops), I missed the really smooth ride the Monte had in comparison to the Camaro. I missed the fuel efficiency of my 3800 V6. I got a good Camaro, only 40,000 miles on it, it's a 2001. And I can't say how much I love it, but how much I miss the Monte Carlo.

The best car out there is a car that has some of the styling and feels of a performance car, while retaining some of the luxury coupe feel to it. I.E. the monte carlo, Thunderbird, Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300, Taurus SHO. But if you think you're ready for a real muscle car, go ahead. Camaro's and TA's are the very best, just a warning...they are a lot different from the Monte Carlo, a LOT. The Cobalt SS is a fast little 4 banger, about as quick as my Z28 actually. Otherwise we wouldn't hate you that much if you got a Mustang, they are very respectable cars.

Last edited by Frosty LS1; 06-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: my mom may take the monte