Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

My hometown burned last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My hometown burned last night

I usually don't post a lot of personal stuff (I don't know why, lol), but last night my favorite pizza place in the world was lost to a fire. The place is called The Pizza Factory, and I use to work there in high school and a little bit after high school. Here are the pics from this morning:

Since these pictures were taken this morning, they have leveled three of the four buildings affected by the fire. It's a sad day for my small town. We lost one of two remaining bars, one of two remaing pizza places (which was the best in the world), and one of two remaing laundromats. This town has lost a lot of population and is beginning to turn into a ghost town, and this sadly is one more nail in what could be it's coffin. I've talked to the owner of The Pizza Factory and she's still deciding on whether or not to relocate/reopen.

Edit: Here's a link to one of the news reports on the fire: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...01&status=true

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about those kinds of tragedies. No one was hurt I hope, but like you said, it kind of sucks the blood right out of any small town The grocery store in the town where my Dad lives (St. Helen) burned down probably 10 years ago now, and never rebuilt. Of course, people would rather drive to WallyWorld in West Branch or Houghton Lake to buy their cheap Chinese crap and foreign overpriced meats, but hey, the Chinese need jobs too!. (sorry for the rant)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's so sad - I love the history of older towns.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Saw that on channel 7 news (Detroit) tonight. Devastating when a small town gets hit like that.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member

I'm actually surprised that Detroit broadcasted about the fire Taz. Shelby is such a small town, about 1,500 or less but it was horrible. Amazingly, nobody died, and only one person was treated for smoke inhalation from what I've been told. I work at the pharmacy in town which is at the other end of the block from this fire.

Thanks for the comments guys. RocknSS04, I totally understand what you mean. Walmart has taken business out of so many small towns.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zipper
I'm actually surprised that Detroit broadcasted about the fire Taz. Shelby is such a small town, about 1,500 or less but it was horrible. Amazingly, nobody died, and only one person was treated for smoke inhalation from what I've been told. I work at the pharmacy in town which is at the other end of the block from this fire.

Thanks for the comments guys. RocknSS04, I totally understand what you mean. Walmart has taken business out of so many small towns.
Actually, I made a mistake. They did a story on the fire in Wyandotte.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Wow Zipper sorry to hear about that. Love small towns (I live in one.... Mason)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

lol, that's alright Taz.

I'm hoping that everything turns out okay from this. The firefighters spent a long time fighting this fire. They fought the fire from 11pm last night until the afternoon today sometime.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM

That's a shame, and really sucks being such a small town.

1,500? Wow you're not kidding. I live in, what around here is considered a tiny town with a population of about 13,000. I can't even imagine having such a close knit community like Shelby must.

Stay positive though, we lost the only (besides a new ColdStone Creamery at the new Mall we have) ice cream place in town a few years ago, and at one point it was pretty much the only thing the town had to its name before a new mall development was started a few years back.

It was a small place with only window service and outdoor seating, but after a couple years of struggles finding a new location, the owners purchased the plot of land they were renting originally, sold some of it to a neighboring gas station so they could expand, and started construction on a brand new building, MUCH bigger and better then the old one and is scheduled to open in a few months.

It's sort of ironic too, they had just installed a gas stove and cooktop so they could serve burgers and what not as well, and the fire was caused by a gas leak from the new stove. (Not to mention, the fire was RIGHT next to a gas station, and the biggest our town has ever seen)

Do they know what caused that fire?

By no means do I mean to hijack your thread zipper, all I mean is to look on the bright side Maybe the Pizza Factory will come back better than ever some day.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Thats tragic man. Sorry to hear about that. Looked like a nice little pizza resturant.

Quick Reply: My hometown burned last night