Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

More Toyota Problems

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation More Toyota Problems

WOW when it rains it pours!

Consumer Reports has given the Lexus GX460 a rare "Don't Buy" warning, saying a problem that occurred during routine handling tests could lead the SUV to roll over in real-world driving.

In the latest blow to Toyota's reputation, the magazine said that during a test of the vehicle's performance during unusual turns, the rear of the vehicle slid until it was nearly sideways before the electronic stability control system kicked in.

Consumer Reports said in real-world driving, such a scenario could cause a rollover accident. As a result, the magazine has given the seven-seat SUV a "Don't Buy: Safety Risk" label until the problem is fixed.

"In a real world situation, by that time, the car can hit the curb or the side of the road and that's the situation where, in a vehicle like that, it could cause it to roll over," said Gabriel Shenhar, senior auto test engineer at Consumer Reports, who was one of four testers to experience the problem.

Consumer Reports said the last vehicle to receive such a warning was the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited. It said among the 95 SUVs in its current ratings, no other slid as far as the GX460.

Starting at about $52,000, the GX460 is a small-volume vehicle for Lexus, Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand. But the warning represents yet another blow for Toyota's tarnished reputation for safety following recalls of millions of vehicles for faulty gas pedals. The GX460 is not covered by the pedal recalls.

Consumer Reports said the problem occurred during a handling test on its test track. During the test, the driver approaches a turn unusually fast, then releases the accelerator pedal to simulate a typical driver's response. This causes the rear of the vehicle to slide.

In normal cases, the vehicle's electronic stability control should quickly correct the loss of control. But Shenhar said in the case of the GX460, the stability control took too long to adjust, causing a risk of rolling over.

However, Consumer Reports said it is not aware of any reports of the vehicle rolling over. The magazine said it tested two separate vehicles, both of which experienced the problem, but neither rolled over.

Consumer Reports said it has notified Toyota and said the automaker is investigating the problem.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Wow, almost makes you feel bad for Toyota :P

Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

Hi `Brian, I heard that on the radio this monring...I wouldn't buy one 4-Sure....
__________________________________________________ _______

`Michael, I don't feel sorry 4 them @ `all...I feel sad for the owners that purchased a Toyota instead of a good realiable
American made auto : )
Check below link, the Recalls have not hurt Toyota, their
sales were `up 41% gO `Figure
Best Toyota Deals: April 2010 Lease and Purchase - U.S. News ...
The 2010 Camry is available with 60 months of interest-free financing, ... Thanks to its generous deals in March, Toyota saw a 41 percent sales rebound ...
usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/.../Toyota-Deals/ -

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Oh I was being as sarcastic as possible when I wrote that. I don't feel sorry for them either. I keep hoping this will make people realize that American cars are just as good, and maybe they should give American cars a try instead of just bashing them and making false assumptions about their reliability.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Amen to that Michael!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Good!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Seems to me that if someone knows how to control their car correctly, the worry of a roll over resulting from a slide should be fairly low. I routinely forced the back end of my Blazer to slide around, never rolled it.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by saigashooter
Seems to me that if someone knows how to control their car correctly, the worry of a roll over resulting from a slide should be fairly low. I routinely forced the back end of my Blazer to slide around, never rolled it.
And if these same people knew how to control their car and put it in neutral or shut it off, they wouldn't go too fast and wreck when the accelerator stuck.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Wow, almost makes you feel bad for Toyota :P
Not in the least.

Toyota acted all high and mighty, and enjoyed every moment of when each of the big 3 had problems. What goes around comes around.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Good!
Wow, a little bitter are we?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Toyota Problems