Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

modern day collector cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default modern day collector cars

Does anyone own any of these.
10 Highly Desirable Modern Day Collector's Cars - Popular Mechanics

Here are some "Affordable High Preformance cars"
10 Hot Used Cars You Could Actually Afford - Popular Mechanics

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I really don't agree with a lot on the list. They are just choosing modern day expensive cars (Ford GT, etc) and assuming they will still be worth a lot.

They should really do some guessing. Back in the 60s Camaros were just stupid common cars, you drove them to the ground, raced them, beat them, bought them for like $200 and gave them away a year later. (ask my Dad how I know that one...)

You think anyone imagined them costing so much now? Or would even want to keep them?! They should find a list like that.

Will my Monte Carlo be worth a lot in 30 years?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I agree with Mike, collector's cars are not F40's that cost more then most people can afford from the showroom new...

I pretty much don't agree with any car on that list other then the GNX.

If I had to name some collectors cars of modern time I'd go with:

Pontiac G8 GXP Limited production run and only sold for a year and a half

Pontiac Soltice GXP /Saturn Sky redline....same reason as above, something like only a couple hundred made.

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 first model year, limited production run on a very popular car.

Terminator Cobras 2003-2004....find a stock one is like a needle ina hay stack.

I'd add GTO to the list but they aren't that limited in number and were never really popular from the start, however low mileaged stock ones are going for a decent ammount these days.

As for my monte...in 30 years it'd still be priceless! lol

Joe

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I agree there not collecter cars only limited production cars are now the f40 can be cuz there desiarable now

Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
I agree with Mike, collector's cars are not F40's that cost more then most people can afford from the showroom new...

I pretty much don't agree with any car on that list other then the GNX.

If I had to name some collectors cars of modern time I'd go with:

Pontiac G8 GXP Limited production run and only sold for a year and a half

Pontiac Soltice GXP /Saturn Sky redline....same reason as above, something like only a couple hundred made.

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 first model year, limited production run on a very popular car.

Terminator Cobras 2003-2004....find a stock one is like a needle ina hay stack.

I'd add GTO to the list but they aren't that limited in number and were never really popular from the start, however low mileaged stock ones are going for a decent ammount these days.

As for my monte...in 30 years it'd still be priceless! lol

Joe

Sorry Joe, but I have to disagree with you on the GTO, it most definitely should be on the list. Just because it wasn't hugely successful doesn't mean anything. The winged Mopars (Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Charger Daytona) were not very desired in there day. Dealerships had a hard time getting rid of them and often sat on them for a long time. Look at them now, they are very desirable!

A '05-06 GTO has a lot going for it (so does the '04 to an extent). It is a rather rare car with the LS2, It has a high horsepower V8, and independent rear suspension. I could definitely see one of these in 30-40 years pulling big money.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM

I didn't see the list but I have to agree with you guys. I would also have to say that past trends will continue. With that said any drop top Mustang and V-8 Mustang is a strong bet. I'd have to say the same for the new Camaro. As far as Monte Carlos are concerned the SS cars and the specialty models should be collectible. I also think most of the Dodge Challengers will be because I think history will repeat and the Challenger is living on borrowed time. If the Dodge Charger was a Two door all the Daytona models for sure, because of the extra two doors I'm not sure. The Chrysler Plymouth Prowler but I'm not sure how affordable it will be. The prices have not moved much since they were new. The same with the Dodge Viper. I have not seen one of those below 30 grand. The Corvettes seem to go as low as 5 grand and then start upward again. The Sky and Solstice and the Pontiac G8 will be collectible too. I don't see hope for much else although the kids like the Honda Civics, the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Lancer, and the Subaru WRX . These imports are the equivalent of the Plymouth Duster, Dodge Dart, Ford Maverick, and Chevy Nova of the seventies. We threw them away back then and want them back now and the prices reflect that.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

luse, it's one of those things that only time will tell just like any collector's car...should be interesting to see what happens with the gto's and the rest...check back in saaaay 20 or 30 years lol.

Joe