Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Moderators

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Moderators

How does being a moderator work? What is involved? Is that your job? How did you get started? I see you guys on the forum ALL THE TIME and I started to get curious. How do you keep your personal opinions from interfering with the members' creativity in posting? Tell us about yourselves. Don't be shy...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

There really isnt much to it. We dont get paid so its all volunteered time. We look out for Spammers and help with posts that need attention ( move them to right places and such ). Ive been a member for almost 3 years now. I've had several of my own forums so Taz knew i was qualified. There was an opening, i requested it, and i was approved.

How do we keep our own opinions from getting in the way? We just do what is right for the forum as a whole. Even if it sometimes conflicts with our own ideas. Its a trade off, but one that i have never regretted.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

great explanation Mod JJ, I originally did a search for "The Popcorn King" and the MCF came up first so I bought a Monte Carlo and I've been here since! thanks.....great question by the way Greg, it's nice to know what goes on in the MCF lounge at times! It would be nice to get a little glimpse of the lounge just to see what the regular folks don't get a chance to see........ keep it clean JJ,

Old 09-01-2010, 05:20 AM

2010 Monte Of The Year

Thanks Popcorn King! I have just gained some insight. When I first joined the forum, you tried to help me post pictures. It didn't work too well. I've gotten the hang of it now thanks to re-reading your advice.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:21 AM

Hi `Greg, `Chris, & Member's reading this;

That's a good question your asked about our MCF moderator's....
I think we have a super staff & leadership that are not paid. They all dedicate their time to our Monte Carlo Family to keep it `safe for everyone.

They spend a lot their personal time checking every post & removing those that enter the MCF for malicious or evil purposes..., plus check that everyone is complying with our MCF Rules: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13110

Thank You, & all our member's that contribute & make our
automotive forum the best on the World Wide Web

p.s. I'm just the janitor, and I'd show you the MCF Staff Lounge, but I have not cleaned it this year...We are to busy enjoying reading everyone posts, and seeing their awesome pictures of their Monte's : )

I think the majority of our member's are here for the love of the Monte Carlo & automobiles, and like to meet other
member's with same & similar interest...I think we have a super group of member's that respect their Monte's & the member's they meet along their web `journey....

*Wish the reader of this Safe/Happy miles on your `journey of life ~> 4-Sure : )

Last edited by Space; 09-01-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Good question Greg. Our goal here as moderators is quite simple. Keep the forum running smoothly with as little drama as possible. Make sure the forum rules are followed and keep an unbiased view on all subjects.

When I became a moderator, I asked Taz if I could help out around here at all. He seemed OK with me becoming a moderator and he approved me and Ive been a mod since. The way I keep my opinions from influencing how I moderate is pretty simple. The MCF rules serve as a great guidline. Just make sure the rules are followed and keep an eye out for spam. We take a strong stance on drama here so anything that seems like it could or would start drama needs to be addressed. Only after all those are addressed do I begin posting my own opinions. Usually tho, with my schedule only allows me to come on here and either moderate or post my thoughts, not both so its not hard to keep the two separated.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I've been on the forum for about a year and a half now, and I was asked to be a Mod a few months ago.

I really don't try any harder to keep my opinion to myself than I used to. Just because i'm a Mod does not mean I don't interact with all the members, share my opinions, and ask questions.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

2010 Monte Of The Year

Thank you to all of the moderators for the hard work. I left carforums.net because they were just hateful and spiteful to new members. I have seen only one malicious post since I have been on here, directed towards Montelicious. She definitely handled it herself without stooping to name calling or sarcasm. It is good to know that there are people out there who are willing to give up their time and energy to make sure that strangers can get along.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM

That's how we roll round' hurr.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
There really isnt much to it. We dont get paid so its all volunteered time. We look out for Spammers and help with posts that need attention ( move them to right places and such ). Ive been a member for almost 3 years now. I've had several of my own forums so Taz knew i was qualified. There was an opening, i requested it, and i was approved.

How do we keep our own opinions from getting in the way? We just do what is right for the forum as a whole. Even if it sometimes conflicts with our own ideas. Its a trade off, but one that i have never regretted.
^^^what he said. Over at the forum that I'm a mod on, the forum had just expanded & they needed a Chevy Moderator sooooo I volunteered & I've loved it so far I was kinda shocked that I was able to be a mod since I have only been on the forum since March but the main admin/part owner really liked my attitude & all soo yeahh

Quick Reply: Moderators