Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   From the Staff: Moderator David "STUMPMI" Smith (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/moderator-david-stumpmi-smith-58255/)

06mistreSS 05-01-2017 02:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This was a surprise to hear. I was looking forward to seeing him at our Spring Meet too.

I've known Dave since our 1st An. Fall Meet in 2012. He showed up to that Meet in his white Silverado. Dave was very genuine, outgoing and vocal. He always had a story to tell. He's the type of guy that would go out of his way for anyone, and he didn't let the fact that he had one leg hold him back. He was a big part of the formation of Michigan Monte Carlo Club and was always at events. He was always willing to do whatever was needed for the Club and was by far the one promoting it the most. The last time I saw him, and I believe the last Club event he attended, was at our 4th An. Fall Meet in 2015 - also in his Silverado. He will be missed.

Dave's 99 Monte Carlo Z-34 at our 3rd An. Spring Meet in 2014...

Attachment 19491

Dave's at the 2014 Onsted Car Show at Michigan Int'l Speedway...

Attachment 19492

And Dave's last Club event, our 4th An. Fall Meet in 2015...

Attachment 19493

turbo monte 05-01-2017 08:20 PM

So sad. He was such a great person! Rest easy dave :(

The_Maniac 05-01-2017 08:50 PM

I got a text about David's unfortunate passing this morning. It is late evening and I am still wrapping my head around this. David was a great friend and a great member.
Him and I became moderators of this forum at the same time. In august of 2013, David and his wife came about four hours away to join me at a local car show and that is when I met him for the first time.
Meeting him at one of my local events was a big motivator for me to go 4 hours away to the Michigan Monte Carlo meets.
David and his wife met me and my ex-wife once or twice for dinner about halfway between our homes.

David is a valued friend and will be extremely missed. May he rest in peace.

04MonteCarloLS 05-01-2017 09:29 PM

R.I.P. Wishing his family the best.

AwesomeSS 05-01-2017 09:31 PM

I am devastated at the news. I am glad I had the honor to have met him at the 2013 Monte Nats in Richmond, IN. He will be greatly missed.

ZIPPY02 05-01-2017 11:38 PM

What a card Dave was. Never met him other than communicating here on the forum, he came across as opinionated like a biker would be. Always offered up old school advice for members seeking mechanical help. What more can a person be than true to himself. I would smile when I would read him time and again mention being an amputee to newbies, he did not hide away that fact. Reminded me of a Harrison Ford movie "Mosquito Coast" where he was always poking people in the chest with his half missing finger and making them squirm uncomfortably. LOL Dave, you my friend lived your life on the edge it seemed, perhaps that brought you your fire bud, kept you going. Sincere condolences to your wife / family and all whom will mourn your passing. Tough break guy, one never knows when the Grimm Reaper will pull up to take you for the last ride. :flag: R.I.P. Dave you gave it your all...:congrats:

The_Maniac 05-03-2017 12:21 PM

Below is information shared from David's sister on Facebook, includes information about a memorial for David.

Originally Posted by Jenny Bauer (Facebook)
If you knew my brother David Smith, you may have also known he wasn't one for funerals. Well, unfortunately he has now passed. We won't do the traditional funeral but we do want to gather in his honor and toast the man he was. If you would like to join us it will be This Saturday the 6th of May 2017 from 12-5pm. Location: St John's Evangelical Lutheran School, behind the church (ironic, right) 13115 Telegraph Rd and Northline Rd. Come as you are. Please, no funeral attire, if you wear leathers; great. If you want to wear your Monty Carlo club shirt, please do! No shoes to shine, no shirts to iron. Just come out and say good bye. If you can't make it but want to contribute, there is a go fund me page as well. Thank-you to everyone who loved my brother! He is greatly missed. <3

Tadcaster 05-03-2017 12:45 PM

For those that would like to help David's wife out there is a Go Fund Me account

https://www.gofundme.com/dave-smith-memorial-fund

nitehawkjcb 05-04-2017 12:07 PM

Rest in paradise, friend.