Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? for Mod `Mickey ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ? for Mod `Mickey ?

[align=center]Moderator `Mickey,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How is the price of fuel affecting your employment ?[/align][align=center]How many MPG does yourCommerical Truckget ?[/align][align=center]Here in Florida, theives are stealing `fuel from rigs, and also stealing[/align][align=center]the computer control from the trucks.[/align][align=center]The radio guy said they cost about $1500 to $2K to replace.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hope things are going good for you in Texas.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, be safe on your highways.[/align][align=center]Look forward to your answers.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Is any other MCF member a over the road driver ?[/align][align=center]I know everytime I go to the store, prices are higher, but[/align][align=center]my paychecks are not : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Post your thoughts/comments.[/align][align=center]Peace/Out/`Space[/align]

Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Default RE: ? for Mod `Mickey ?

$3.59 here for 93 octane Diesels way more...

My dads business partner bought a turbo deisel Mercedes 3 years ago thinking it was would be way more economical. He must be hating it now.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

gas and deisle are almost the same price here, its about 1.25 for deisle so about 5.00 a gallon
one of our customers said he droped his speed from 110 kph to 95 kph and he saved about $250 a trip on gas

Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 PM

well desil is at a all time high right now.
4.25per gal.
my truck takes 125gal to fill.
I fill it up at least once or twice a day and i run anythign from 3-600miles a day in city driving.

the last time i remeber filling it up and actually looked at the pump it was over 250.00 to fill the tank.

it is getting crazy!!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

WoW Mod `Mickey,
That's a lot of driving, and expensive 4-Sure.
Do you think the government will mandate
the Federal Speed Limit to 55 MPH on all
interstates again, like they did way back
in the 70's ? I just heard that on the radio [X(]
They were talk'in about that to save fuel.
Thanks for your post & being a super Mod.
Be Safe out there on your highways of life.
`Space

Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

well... let me answer this question for mod mickey.... it sounds like he drives a company truck if thats all the fuel his truck will take....

IT F'ING HURTS LIKE HELL!!!!!!

sorry for the scurrilous language.... but thats it.

my dad OWNS his own truck.. meaning he PAYS FOR HIS OWN FUEL!!!!!!!!!

It got 6.5 to a gallon... he drives about 61 every where now, never idles, and gets 7.0-7.2 now....

two 150 gallon tanks... he has payed as much as $1000 to fill it up.

There is a fuel surcharge now... it helps, but not enough.

A similar week today compared to the same week3 years ago would have payed $1400 then compared to $850 now.. actual figures.

IT's not easy... it's hurting us... and freight is SLOW right now with this SLOW economy...

here is a picture of the fuel hog.

A pixel art I made of it once...

Old 04-26-2008, 08:13 PM

you would be right i do drive a comapany truck a brand new 207 k.W.
but the thing is i have been a owner op. i owned my own 96 pete 379 extended hood. stand up. But after i paid it off and the fule rates kept climbing i sold it.
then came off the road for good.

I have also looked in to buying another one for what i do now but here is the deal
I drive a rock bucket and a live bottom trailer .
Why would i go spend 80,000 +/_ for the tracktor and then a nother 15,30,00. for a end dump trailer.

so best case it would be around 111000.00 for the tracktor and trailer.
this would not even includ ethe fule in the tanks when i picked it up.

SO do i think the owner op is wrong for wanting/owning thier own truck? NOPE!!
But i do look at i t this way. the fule prices need to coem down and this lilttel fake strike that was recent did nothign for us to help this happen. if they wanted it to happen and actually have a effect then it should have been nation wide and coast to coast. and lasted for more then 12 hours.

make it at least 3-7 days min. this will allow the fule to run out in the underground tanks and also allow folks to feel teh crunch nd hopefully the right pepole will ge tthe idea that it needs to happen and have more then three drivers agree on this.

But yes i drive a company truck becuse to me and my family it is the most economical thing to do right now. I still get hurt on the fule cost and slow freight but not near as bad as the o/o workign for us right now.
our loads are real slow also. look at it this way.
we have over 110,000 tons of material that needs to go out to finish the sveral construction jobs aroudn the city and in surounding areas. our rates have gone from 8.00 a ton to now 3.30 a paid ton mile. So yea i feel thsi real fast knowing i was making over a grand a week and not am lucky to see 5-800.00 after taxes.

but the material cant go out if the fule dont ome down as desil has to be used to make the fires burn to make the asphault and to run the trucks that pave the roads etc......

everyoen knows the sad story but the thing is simpel if you got it a truck has touched it or parts of it or raw materails to make it.

as fro the speed limit i dont personally think it will help we are already driving at 70mph. in our states. now think of this if you cut the speed down the cops have to chase us down to write the tickets to slow us down. by doign this you will do nothing but **** off even more drivers that are trying to make deadlines etc... and even then your going to cut even mor ein to thier paychecks becuse then we cant get the miles we need to run to make the pay we need to put the fule back in the tanks to replace what was used at any speed.

So is it worth it? not really

Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That post about saving gas by eliminating drive-thru windows.

I shut my car off if I feel it's taking longer then a few seconds to move forward at the drive-thru.

I also shut my car off when there's a train using the crossing and I'm stuck for it. So what if it's at night? I leave the lights on cause I know my battery is up to it and will start the engine again once the train has moved on and the crossing is clear.

How much gas do we waste by idling 20 SUVs for 10 minutes or so waiting on a train? Three trains (probably more) per day times 20 or more SUVs or pickup trucks and a few cars = how much gasoline wasted?

The cruise-in we attended last night some jerk in a newer Rustang sat in the parking lot talking to a buddy with the engine running for well over 20 minutes.

MUST BE NICE TO BE RICH YOU CAN JUST WASTE THE STUFF!!!

If it's going to be more then a minute or two before you can move again, shut the blasted engine off. How hard is that to figure out?

Sorry for ranting. I'm sick of John G. Public (you & me) getting screwed 24/7 not only by our own government but also by the retailers.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 PM

oh i agree R.J. but the thing that scares me the most is the ticket i will get for doing 70 mph . if they shose to drop it back to 55 MPH.

But again i think this is a way to say we need to do this and take the blame off of OPECT.
So they dont look so bad

Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

mickey.... my dad can't get out without not getting home right now... we live in the country. he'd have to drive to raleigh every single day to get in a truck...

it's crazy. you're crazy to try to become an owner operator right now.

mickey, you made a good choice at a good time, you got a great head on your shoulders for that. sounds like you had a good truck.. i prefer the W9's to the Pete's but those 379's are alright (they don't make that truck anymore... big shame)

Quick Reply: ? for Mod `Mickey ?