Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Might be going the Camaro route

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM
1 Year Member
Default Might be going the Camaro route

Hey everyone, so I've been looking at getting a "new" car for a while. I really want to get something RWD and I would like to get a manual. But I know I'm going to have to make some compromises on this car. I have been looking at going with a 1995-2004 Mustang GT and I would still like to go that route however there are none available near me. So I started looking at Camaro's and Firebird's/Trans am's. Well I found a 2001 Camaro Z28 that looks really good

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 For Sale In Raleigh NC - International Motors

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and take it for a test drive and if I'm happy with it then I may go ahead and get it. It's pretty hard to beat 68k miles on a 2001 Camaro lol. Has anyone had a Camaro in that generation? Are they pretty good cars, and do that have any big issues?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The LS1 is one of the best engines made. They handle tons of power on a stock bottom end. That looks like a pretty nice Camaro there. I have thought about going that route myself before. Comfort wise you will take a hit from your Monte but really performance wise the sky is the limit and that's always nice.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's not bad for a 2001 with 68000 miles. Are you keeping the monte carlo?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Camaro's are cool but I have had one of these and they are supper fast but to me it's like driving a go cart.This one looks real nice.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
That's not bad for a 2001 with 68000 miles. Are you keeping the monte carlo?
No, I'm going to trade it in. I'm trying to get my payments down a little bit. That and I have some issues that are popping up with my Monte that I think are going to be pretty expensive to fix. So I'm going to trade it in while the issues are not very noticeable and let someone else have to deal with them. And on top of all that I just miss having a RWD car lol

Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
The LS1 is one of the best engines made. They handle tons of power on a stock bottom end. That looks like a pretty nice Camaro there. I have thought about going that route myself before. Comfort wise you will take a hit from your Monte but really performance wise the sky is the limit and that's always nice.
Yea my brother has a 96' Camaro RS. It's only a v6 so power wise I know it's a big difference then the LS1. But as far as comfort goes, it's not to bad. One thing I noticed with the F-body cars is that they sit super low. It's like trying to get into a Lotus elise or something like that lol

Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a 98, I think the 4th Gen is one of the most uncomfortable to drive

The exterior of that ride looks great, outside of the headlights. It's nice to see all of the ground effects still there.

The driver seat and interior looks a little poor. The gray has a browning starting to happen, which looks like it could have been a smokers car, or stored out in the sun it's whole life.

Power windows are a HUGE problem on these cars. I made sure to find manual windows, because the power windows have rivets and replacing is a pain.

The dashboard has a big tendency to crack also.

Your choice on the manual/automatic part. I would shoot for the manual and leather interior.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Wish you good luck on getting what you want
I like the Camaro & the price is decent.
Keep us updated.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by iMuf
Are they pretty good cars, and do that have any big issues?
I had a 96 Z28 SS. With the upgraded suspension / bigger stabilizers, it rode like a truck but stuck like glue.
The windows leaked. When they fixed that, it would still leak at high speed, 80 mph and the windows popped out, so wind noise was bad.
And better get it checked for rust, behind the front wheels, in front of the rear wheels.

I still miss that car

Good Luck

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM

I use to drive a 93 z28, I can say that I truly miss it. You have lots of options to upgrade everything and if fairly inexpensive to maintain.
I would deffinetly go for it, but comfort wise you'll miss the Monte Carlo

Quick Reply: Might be going the Camaro route