Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2 "MEMORIAL PARK"

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2 "MEMORIAL PARK"

Okay, looks like the first contest has been completed. So to move on the next Theme.
May is Memorial Day month.
A tradition of remembering those who have fallen before us.
We have all kinds of Memorials, in Parks, along the roads, everywhere.

So this time lets do
"MEMORIAL PARK"
Get some statues, Tanks, Planes, Ships or other memorial stuff.
Life size or Mini Montes are welcome!

Post your entry by next Sunday May 21st, 2017
and we can start voting and have a winner by
Memorial day.
Good luck and see what you can do for great pictures!!
The weather is nice so we should be able to find
great locations for the photo opps!

As George Strait said Lets do it!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Default Well finally got enough time to take a Photo

Well finally got enough time to take a Photo, this is a real neat subject matter area. The area for the Memorial Park features a Higgins boat and several Statues of soldiers. I am also going to attach some photos of the area as this is a historical marker area so you can see what a Higgins boat is, its significance to the War effort.

Attached Thumbnails May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3066x.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Default Historical signifcance in photo's

These are a few of the background area, featuring a shot from the inside of the boat, the Soldiers, and the Historical Plaque.
I took these shots today in Columbus, NE where this Memorial is located. You will see I the one pic that the Higgins boat has the #1492 on it aka the year that Christopher Columbus discovered America
The plaque explains it all.
Oh, the soldier with the M-60 machine gun, I got to shoot one in the service.

Attached Thumbnails May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3074.jpg   May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3079x.jpg   May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3085.jpg   May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3091.jpg  
Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, that really is a cool memorial and a great shot you submitted. We don't have anything that cool around here!

But I do have the Bud Chev out! Fresh out of storage about an hour ago. So I am going photoing right now...

Old 05-19-2017, 07:14 PM

15 Year Member

...I'm back and done uploading. Hot off the press!
I'm a big fan of this theme. As soon as a read it, I knew what I'd try to do.
I went for a cruise down Veteran's Memorial Parkway in London Ontario . Along the route, there are these large granite rocks engraved with virtues of battle. I'm making that description up. I don't know what you'd call them, but I always wanted to do this shoot anyways...

Name:  IMG_6412.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  239.3 KB
Valor

Name:  IMG_6416.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  277.0 KB
Fortitude

Name:  IMG_6440.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  246.0 KB
Courage

Name:  IMG_6430.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  270.2 KB
Freedom

That was the best I could get. It was a tricky shoot. I tried to get the car as close to the monuments as a could, then I had to get the shot standing in the middle of a highway, running back and forth so I could, y'know, keep living. Both my kids (2&8) were in the car BTW. So that was a fun challenge. And none of those pics are my submission.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
...I'm back and done uploading. Hot off the press!
I'm a big fan of this theme. As soon as a read it, I knew what I'd try to do.
I went for a cruise down Veteran's Memorial Parkway in London Ontario . Along the route, there are these large granite rocks engraved with virtues of battle. I'm making that description up. I don't know what you'd call them, but I always wanted to do this shoot anyways...

Valor

Fortitude

Courage

Freedom

That was the best I could get. It was a tricky shoot. I tried to get the car as close to the monuments as a could, then I had to get the shot standing in the middle of a highway, running back and forth so I could, y'know, keep living. Both my kids (2&8) were in the car BTW. So that was a fun challenge. And none of those pics are my submission.

Valor, Fortitude, Courage, will equal Freedom
This is a rare Virtue and usually shows up during a Battle in a war zone some place. Audey Murphy would be one that come to mind. There are many others for sure.
Great photo's for sure

Old 05-20-2017, 12:58 PM

15 Year Member

Sorry... I'm trying to finish my post, but I'm constantly under hassle at home. The kids dragged me off the computer last night, then something went wrong and now the computer is actually sort of screwy. The problem seems to be with my browser of choice Chrome, but IE is working. Whatever.

Along the way I found this Memorial to Vimy Ridge, a proud Canadian victory.

Name:  IMG_6447.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  361.5 KB

There was a whole area with individual Memorials at this little park along the route. I got to talking to the groundkeeper (he come over to check out the Bud Chev) and he said it's his property and project with a couple of friends. He encouraged me to drive the car where I'd like in the park for more shots, but it actually felt a little disrespectful to me? The park was a nice beautiful tribute, though sort of grave-like, and to me a Budweiser Monte Carlo didn't quite belong. The kids got out of the car and walked around for a while. The girls and I had fun then we carried on.

I don't submit the above pic either.

At the end of Veteran's Memorial Parkway is the London International Airport. It is not very grand. Close by was a Royal Canadian Legion that was not open. There was a few tributes around it and I liked this shot the most (actually, my wife picked it):

Name:  IMG_6427.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  281.2 KB

I choose this one as my official submission for the " May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2 "MEMORIAL PARK" "

I like the shot too. It's a great picture, but not so much story.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

Those are some great shots, I think History is one of the most interesting things that folks to often forget, that's what make Memorial Day special.
Along the way to take the Higgins boat photo I did find this Tank with a Memorial to a Fallen soldier as well.

Attached Thumbnails May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3115.jpg   May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3106.jpg   May 2017 By-Monthly Photo contest #2  "MEMORIAL PARK"-img_3108.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Wow those are some nice pics!!