Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Mall shooting - Why... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/mall-shooting-why-6803/)

Taz 12-07-2007 09:39 PM

RE: Mall shooting - Why...

Well said Gale. Children are being left alone to do what ever they feel like doing, without any consequences for their actions. God forbid anyone do or say anything to hurt the childs' self-esteem. There's also something wrong when a parent disciplines their child for spray painting graffitti on the neighbor's garage, and the parent gets arrested for child abuse. Then the child goes to a foster home, blames all of his problems on the affore mentioned "bad parenting", and uses it as an excuse to go down a path of destruction. All while people feel sorry for him for being from a broken home.

We seem to be producing a generation of excuse makers. Nothing is ever their fault. And of course there are lots of attorneys who like to make people believe that.

mad717 12-07-2007 11:21 PM

My 2 cents.... There are many things causing these problems. It starts when the kids are little, and the parents put them in front of a TV and ignore them. Then, they don't or won't spank or otherwise discipline them. Then, they teach the kids there are no winners and losers, everybody is equal. (In sports mostly). Then, when the kids do start showing problems, they ignore them, or act as though their baby can do no wrong. (seeing this right now with one of my step-granddaughters). Then, when it's too late, as with this tragedy, they try to put the blame on everyone and anything possible except the real problem, the person looking back at them from the mirror.

That being said, there is way too much coverage in the news about deals like this, and WHY did the kid have access to ANY gun with his mental history? Responsible gun owners lock their weapons and ammunition up. It's because of stories like this that I'm considering gettingmy concealed carry permit, because I'm not going down without a fight.

I for one will never say it's because of video games, because they are just games, and responsible parents wouldn't let their kids play the most violent ones. I grew up playing video games (remember Pong?), have played all of the "worst" games, and have NEVER had the desire to shoot another person.

Gail, as a retired police officer, I'm curious about how right I am about the parents not holding the kids and themselves accountable for their actions?

gale155 12-08-2007 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mad717

My 2 cents.... There are many things causing these problems. It starts when the kids are little, and the parents put them in front of a TV and ignore them. Then, they don't or won't spank or otherwise discipline them. Then, they teach the kids there are no winners and losers, everybody is equal. (In sports mostly). Then, when the kids do start showing problems, they ignore them, or act as though their baby can do no wrong. (seeing this right now with one of my step-granddaughters). Then, when it's too late, as with this tragedy, they try to put the blame on everyone and anything possible except the real problem, the person looking back at them from the mirror.

That being said, there is way too much coverage in the news about deals like this, and WHY did the kid have access to ANY gun with his mental history? Responsible gun owners lock their weapons and ammunition up. It's because of stories like this that I'm considering gettingmy concealed carry permit, because I'm not going down without a fight.

I for one will never say it's because of video games, because they are just games, and responsible parents wouldn't let their kids play the most violent ones. I grew up playing video games (remember Pong?), have played all of the "worst" games, and have NEVER had the desire to shoot another person.

Gail, as a retired police officer, I'm curious about how right I am about the parents not holding the kids and themselves accountable for their actions?
You're right on the money, Mark, but it's not just parents. The mental disorder known as Liberalism has resulted in many people today not taking personal responsibility for their own actions...not just parents. In asubstantial segment of our society, it seems that everyone who engages in abnormal behavior is a "victim" of something (or someone), whichthey blame fortheir abnormal behavior.

Look. I still believe that themajority of people in this country are still good, decent and "normal" folks. One of the reasons I retired when I did (age 53)was that I was beginning to believe that this was no longer the case - a fate which befalls many long-time cops. Some police officers, I must tell you, become convinced that the only "normal" people left in our society are their fellow officers and their families.This isimpossible to comprehend for most, but I'm telling youit's true.