Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Made in America

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Made in America

With all the recalls involving various products like toys and food items and such made in China, is it time for companies to start making things on this continent again?

Even though the costs of domestic labor are higher, and would therefore raise the price of the products?

Would you pay more for something if it was made over here?

And do you think products made here would be any better than those made in some far-off land?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Made in America

My g/f works for a company that supplies a baby furniture company.

They're inseveral law suits cause the consumer said their product failed to protect their child in cridical situations.

A large part of their supplies are now made in China.

Is there a connection between the law suits and the product being made in China? I feel there is.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i feel that it doesn't matter where it's made... people just want to sue people anymore. on average, 12 lawsuits are filed against Wal Mart everyday. people think they can sue these big time companys and people and become instant millionaires (woman with mickey d's coffee, we never get tired of that one). all they are doing is raising the price of goodies for the rest of us. and abotu yoru connectino with items made in china, heck everything si made in china. what difference does it make? lets just accept it: babies are babies, they're usually clumsy, they are just learning to walk, a kid needs to take a good fall every now and then, that builds character.!@#($!)&@#*!# is going to happen.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Depends what it is. I did alot of studying world economics and we actually built some products that sold in China and Japan.

One of the biggest considerations is called Regional Advantage. In a nutshell you manufacture what you have in your location because it will cost more to do it in other places. EG: China and Japan have a HUGE advantage in fishing over many countries in the world, therefore it is cheaper to have their fish imported to countries rather than the country sending out it's own fishing fleets.

The United States has advantages in: Metal, Agriculture, and Technology. India has advantages in:Technology andRubber.Malasia and Mexico are both great for Textiles (Clothes). They can produce it better because they don't have to invest as much to get the same results.

On the flip, Japan has very limited land so mass agriculture is out of the question. They have to import alot of their foodstuffs. Mining is very poor as well.

Another example in the US is corn. Regarding Kansas and Iowa, they are perfect for growing corn. You can't grow it as well in say Canada, Washington, or Maine. The warm weather cycle is too short for growing conditions. On the flip, these states would suck for... lets say lobster. Alaska has an advantage of being able send out ships in their backyard to get it.

In the end it really depends what it is. Some nations can just make things better than us and cheaper because of how they operate. I could care less where I had say a capgun, draps, or my silverware made. I do care more about my vehicle, tv, and major appliances.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i have a little one now, and you definetely would not be able to afford the toys if they were made here, they'd be 10times the price, and i wouldn't want to pay that for a toy their only going to use a few months-a year maybe

Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]
WELCOME TO madeinusa.com
Understand the Power of Patriotic Spending
Spend American Dollars on American Products
Help Create and Save American Jobs
Click source below
[:-][/align]
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Josh,

IF.......... the stuff you buy your little one was made here it could be sold cheaper then what it currently is.

We all know the simple rules of supply and demand. If less people are buying say Wal-Marttoy X cause it's made in the U.S. and cost more versustoy Y made in Japan of course more aregoing to buy toy Y cause of price. Very few care now days if toy Y is a cheaper toy that won't last the day. So which toy will Wal-Mart stock more of?

When I was little (Fred Flintstone was in the class behind mine) you said, "Hey I got X yesterday. It was made in Japan." you got laughed at by everyone cause EVERYONE knew it was cheap. No one wanted the stuff.

The United States has advantages in: Metal, ...............

Want to bet!!!!!!

For many years now the U.S. has got metal (like sheet metal) from Japan. The tool & die shop I worked at in the 1980s bought Jap steel. It was cheap.

WHY? Cause the Japanese came to the U.S. bought up all the steel setting in salvage yards, shipped it back to the Japan, melted it, re-rolled it thinner and sold it back to us. They made their own cars out of this used steel.

I know people who owned yards and told me Japanese business men came to their salvage yards and wanted to buy them out.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember hearing on both CNN and The Discovery Channel shortly after 9/11, that a large portion of the steel from the twin towers was being bought by a steel company in Japan. Didn't say exactly what for though.
BTW... yes I am aware that USS New York was made from WTC steel. So I don't know how much steel would be left for that Japanese steel company.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

You can bet that I was made in America!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rj

The United States has advantages in: Metal, ...............

Want to bet!!!!!!

For many years now the U.S. has got metal (like sheet metal) from Japan. The tool & die shop I worked at in the 1980s bought Jap steel. It was cheap.

WHY? Cause the Japanese came to the U.S. bought up all the steel setting in salvage yards, shipped it back to the Japan, melted it, re-rolled it thinner and sold it back to us. They made their own cars out of this used steel.

I know people who owned yards and told me Japanese business men came to their salvage yards and wanted to buy them out.
No problem on the bet. Mercury Marine out of Fond du Lac gets their iron for their foundery shipped out of Duluth MN. Neenah Foundry does the same - they produce 95% of the manhole covers used in sewage systems around the world. My friend has a nice picture of one in Italy.

This was just one of those items that we had to discover for an International Business class I took. Your company might have purchased from Japan, but according to the Department of Commerce most metal used in the United States comes from the US. The biggest importer we have for metal is mined out of Russia and shipped here. - cool story on this is the government actually sells it to us at a less expensive price once they forge it into some form of block to give their citizens jobs.

Quick Reply: Made in America