Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Was life FREE

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default Was life FREE

Not that it matters... Just want to find out who worked for everything and who was given it.

My family was poor when I was a kid so I started working at a very illegal age. I was 8. I worked at Westland Bowling Alley vacuming the floor, stocking machines, cleaning the pits for free bowling and food from the snack bar. Started cutting grass and raking leaves. Got a paper route at 10, and painted houses, lay sod, stocked shelves, collected pop bottles, fixed lawn motors, etc. Until I was 14, when I got my first real job as a janitor making $1.35 an hour, and still cut grass, and roofed & painted houses, and by then did basic plumbing (installing sinks & water tanks, toilets, etc.). As well as working a day here, a day there, laying sod,digging holes, etc., for landscaping companies.

I bought all my own clothes, bikes, mini-bikes, etc., as a kid. I wanting everything my friend had, and did, but I worked for it. So I can't say, I had much of a childhood... but I have to tell ya... I didn't know better, and it seemed normal to me! My kids have not a clue what real work is yet, and two of them are in their twenties. I have given them everything, their only job, so far, is to get A's in school or college and that is how I want it!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Was life FREE

yeah, i got a few chores, plus i mow grass around here for some people. my dad makes me pay for the gas in teh mower (as I should) and i have to pay him a little rent on it. i did alright until this year when the drought hit... i'm really struggling. providing i make the grades, the insurance is payed, nad i payed for half the car. plus, if I want to do anything to it, i got to do it myself. i payed for the exhaust and the computer tune. my dad painted the engine cover in exchange for cleaning and detailing his 18 wheeler extremly well one day. everything i clean my car with i have to buy.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I am 18 now and I started my first job at 15. Before then my parents paid for alot but I paid for alot too with christmas money and here and there savings. I did chores with no allowance and did outdoor work and helped my dad with odd jobs and things. I also did all my own laundry andcooked alot of my own meals.Once I got my first job doing landscaping, I paid for EVERYTHING other than food and clothes. I paid for my cell phone bills, all my wants and other things. I paid for my vehicles with cash, I pay my own insurance and pay for gas. I am on my third job and third vehiclenow and I pay for all my own clothes, all my meals when Im not at home and everything else I was already paying for. I am pretty much self sustaining now and ready to go to college then get my own place. I dont think life was free, I dont think I paid for it all though. I view it as life with a childrens discount. I am no longer a kid and I dont get that "discount" anymore. Im glad it was this way, because I know I wont have any trouble adjusting to life on my own. I live in a rich neighborhood and I go to a rich school so I see all these kids that have had life handed to them on a plate. I just laugh knowing how lost they will be without their parents.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM

Yes and no, I am 19 Now, I'm paying for the car and everything that goes along with it, My parents took the loan out for my bike (because I didn't have the credit to at the time) but I made all the payments for it along with everything that has been done to it. Growing up I didn't get everything that I wanted, but most of the time they would buy it for me if it was something small, anything of any expense I paid for (I never had an allowance, so that made up for it) I did the yard work also . I worked with my father at their computer store when I was 14, and at 16 I got another job, the same job I still have. I prefer to pay for things myself instead of having everything done/given to me, but that's just me.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:25 PM

LOL not to sound like a retarded redneck, but i used to get "Paid" for doing work in the summer for my parents. My stepdad used to wake me up at 6am to go out to farmers feilds and get rocks varying in sizes from your palm to, having to put it on a hood that we used as a sled and chain it up with 6 guys pulling it onto my stepdads pick up truck.
Oh and my favorite, was when i had to do yard work all day and got paid in the amazing amount of ONE 2LITER OF MT DEW!!!
Im with you tho craig, started with a penny saver route for 15 bucks a week at 10 or 11 then moved up to a paper route around 12 and got a second one at 14. Now im 21 doing mechanic work paying for my house and hoping to get custody of my kid the 29th, wish me luck everyone. The mom is a psycho...no offense to any women out there but DANG

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 AM

[align=center]No `free lunch for `Space[/align][align=center][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][/align][align=center]My mother dropped me `off @ my grandfathers when[/align][align=center]I was a few weeks old, and she never returned. No one[/align][align=center]knows where she is?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I don't know who my dad is, [/align][align=center]but my mother's nameis SunShine .[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather was not married to[/align][align=center]SunShine's mother, and did notraise her, but[/align][align=center]did support her & see her on planned visits.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather said that I wasjust dropped`off [/align][align=center]by SunShine, & SunShine never returned to our life.[/align][align=center]"Aint No SunShine WhenShe's Gone"[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather has neverbeen married, but has a long[/align][align=center]history with many women : ) `Space had many, many[/align][align=center]SpaceMother's : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather home-schooled me and taught me `if[/align][align=center]I wanted anything in life that I was going to have to[/align][align=center]give up, to get it.[/align][align=center]I've been giving up to get ever since. Work is the only[/align][align=center]way I know how to get anything : )[/align][align=center]I am thankful to my grandfather, he gave up a lot for me,he provided me[/align][align=center]food/shelter, life lessons, his time/wisdom,and lots oftuff love.[/align][align=center]He's my mentor, my friend, I love him.[/align][align=center]He taught me that[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"Dreams are where you want to be, and work is[/align][align=center]how you get there"...I'm work'in my dreams.[/align][align=center]Nothing good in life is E.Z. 4-Sure[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][font="times new roman"

Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Basically I've been given everything that I need for the longest time, and whenever I wanted something else, like a new video game or something I would usually pay for it myself. Being a first year college student, my dad told me that he has tuition and everything covered for my first year, and mom said she's still going to take care of gas and insurance for me. I've had jobs, but they usually took a backseat to sports, so I only worked in the summer/fall and played basketball and soccer in the winter and spring. Now due to my grades and ACT score, I get the Hathaway Scholarship that covers all of my tuition here at UW which was already a million times cheeper than MSU was, so next year all I've got to worry about is food and a place to crash, which will be covered if I become an RA. I'm just hoping I can get close to the $4k that I need for Australia this summer by working and through donations, and I can use scholarships.
So yeah, I went with everything/chores. I've always had chores at home from feeding the cats, to taking care of some of the rabbits, mowing the lawn, chopping wood, painting, all sorts of random stuff and in return I got everything I needed. But when I wanted something else, like something for my car or something like my iPod, I've always gotten it myself.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My father lived a very hard life as a child. My grandfather used to sell moonshine to support the family and they frequently had the cops at their house for it.

My mother didn't lead a much easier life. Her father drank his paychecks before he got home with them. So they were forced to live with my great-grandmother.

When I was growing up my sisters tormented me with, "They always wanted a boy." Meaning theyfelt I got special treatment.

While in school my father always said, "You're not working. You get an education. That's what's important."

When I was 14 they bought my first car as my high school graduation present for $150. It barely ran for the trip home. My father laughed at me cause the car had been used as a parts car but it was a '57 Chevy and I loved the car.

My parents also bought my '86 LS Monte. I'm not proud of the fact they did. I wanted a 4th gen Monteever since they were new. My g/f had found one for sale setting infront of Wal-Mart in town. The seller wanted $1200 for the car. My g/f needed a car but I wanted the MonteCarlo. One day the seller calls and says if I buy the car right now I can have it for$500. So I bought the car and gave it to my g/f. So I just bought a Monte Carlo, but I still didn't own one.

One day while visting me at the job I had, my g/f spies a Monte for sale down the street and tells me about the car. I test drove it and looked the car over. No money to buy it my parents offered to. It was the only way I could afford to own the car.

They were very kind in the fact they added money to my downpayment so I could afford the nicer car.

So I guess you can say I've hadsome handed to me.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I am guessing that folks who buy Chevy's are normal working class people.

It's the kids with the Hondas & Acuras that see to have things handed to them.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM

space u never stop amazin me man...

but as for this topic my parents never gave me an allowance but always bought me what i wanted, i had daily chores like mowing lawn, sweepin, vacuumin, etc and then high school started and livin in the country with two parents who work full time and no drivers license made gettin a job very hard so for 2 years i continued to do my chorse and parents provided andthen three days after i got my drivers liscense i started work at the farm and provided fopr myself all thru high school, now that i am in college i wish i could say that i provided for myself but my parents r hellpin out again with tution and books etc thank god for my parents, idk where i would b without them and all they have done for me thats y i thank god i still have both and can hug them whenever i want

Quick Reply: Was life FREE