Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Life is...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Default live life to its fullest

Hey guys; I am sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish every one of well. I don't want to come off sounding like a know it all or an anarchist because that is not what I am about. However when I read or hear something that makes sense I like to pass it along. One part of this is that our government continues to lie to us all for the purpose of profit for the few and powerful at the expense of the rest of the population. I am a 49 year old white male who like many of you was on the road to the zipper club. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol levels were out of wack. My doctor put me on drugs to try to control my blood pressure and cholesterol with limited success. I am not heavy but was starting to put on weight that I was starting to feel was uncontrollable. After all my eating habits had not changed and I didn't have these problems when I was younger. A friend of min recommended a book to me. Its title is "EAT TO LIVE". It isn't a diet book per se, more like a life style book. I would recommend it to everyone to read. It is written by a M.D. Who was doing the same as everyone else and giving out the same advice and pills as every other doctor. He realized that in doing so he was getting the same results as everyone else. He had patients that just didn't get better and ultimately died.
To use an analogy. What happens if you put bad gas into your car? You get a car that runs poorly if at all. Gas for your car is food for your car. If you put crap in you get crap out. The same is true of the human body. If you eat crap then your body runs like crap. This all makes perfect sense to me.
We have all depended on the government to tell us what is good and what is bad. The USDA did the health pyramid that tells us what foods to eat. The book tells me that the USDA is heavily lobbied by the cattle and dairy industry. Look at the pyramid. What's on top? We know that dairy is fattening and red meat promotes bad cholesterol.
I have begun using the advice from the book. I stopped taking my blood pressure and cholesterol pills. I have not checked the cholesterol yet but my blood pressure has dropped to 122over 67. It used to run around 141 over 101. This is just my experience. I have nothing to gain whether you read the book or not. But when I see positive results and things make sense I go with them..

Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I can understand your frustration with the cancled apointment, happend to me twice, i hope everything goes good for ya cort, deff in thoughts & prayers

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, lets hope it all goes through fine.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM

When I had my shoulder surgery a year and a half ago, my doctor made sure he was the only one seeing me. It's a pretty large practice so it would have been easy for him to push some of the minor appointments off on one of the other docs in the practice. But he did an excellent job, gave me every piece of info he could give me at every point throughout the process leading up to the decision to do surgery, and even showed me the MRI and showed me EXACTLY where he saw my torn labrum, and the following the surgery on my first check up he showed me the pics from the surgery and explained what everything was and exactly what he did. I've always been fascinated by medical imagery (the technology amazes me) and it was really cool how much detail he went into when he explained what all we were looking at.

And I can definitely understand the "Life is short" mentality. My life has nearly ended 3 different times, and I'm still pretty young. Not sure quite yet why the Good Lord has seen fit to keep me here, but I'm sure not gonna waste these extra chances at life that I've been given.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Cort I hope things go well for you. I think that if you could charge doctors for your time that they waste I bet they would make sure they are where they should be when they should be there. After all if you forget about an appointment they charge you for their wasted time. Seems reasonable to me.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cort, I hope all goes well. I can understand your frustration with the doctor and hospital not telling you. But like you said, Life is short. Life is too short to be pi$$ed off. And it won't help much either.

But your "Life is..." quotes reminded me of the quote from Peanuts creator Charles Schultz. "Happiness is a warm puppy." I don't know why, but I always find Peanuts cartoons kind of calming. Kind of like a reminder of simpler times. I'm sure thinking about Route 66 and all the great rides does it for you.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Life is too short. We need to cherish family and friends and all the simple things.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sorry to hear of your troubles. i wish you the best of luck and hope the docs can get you running at 100% again

Quick Reply: Life is...