Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A Letter to Me

Old 01-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A Letter to Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fqtbMHfpXY

Well.. I'm too young to truly enjoy the song, but its interesting. My dad really enjoys this one. It seems like everyone I've met his age (his 50's) or so tell me all the things they would have done differently if they had only known.

A few of his:

Taking better care of himself, he busted both of his knees twice, once while playing high school footballl (which he won't let me do) and the second time while being a prison guard.

Getting a better education and having some goal for his life... he never really wanted to be a trucker. He droped out of high school and went into the Coast Guard and got a GED (Good Enough Diploma). He just bounced around and got stuck behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler... that was 30 years ago.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: A Letter to Me

Ever heard hind sight is 20/20? That's cause it's always easy to say "What If."

What if I'd have turned left in life instead of right? What if I'd have married later instead of havinga wife and new baby at 20 years old?

One thing you can not do in life is worry about the "What Ifs."

A guy I know his ex-wife worried about them. And it screwed her head up bad!!! She was worried cause kids in school called her illigitimate. Her mom & dad never married. Now days it's common but not back then. Kids their mom & dads never married got a hard time from those who parents did marry.

Remembering TOO much about the past is one of my downfalls. I remember too much. It's baggage I've carried a lot of my life. What good has it done me? None. If anything it's kept me from having a future. I've never been concerned about the future cause to me I don't have one.

You can not worry about the way your life could have been. You can only change where it's going. And sometimes not then.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: A Letter to Me

Well said RJ!

Sometimes I remember all the horrible things I said and didin the past (high school was a particularly bad time for me), and I start feeling anxious about wanting to make it all right. But I've had to come to the realization that some things you can't change no matter how hard you try. I have to accept the decisions I made, live with them, and hopefully learn from them so as not to repeat them.

One "what if" story is this girl I once dated couldn't stop bringing up an ex-boyfriend of hers. She claimed she was over him, but I knew better. I loved her very much, but I decided that I'm not going to marry someone who is constantly thinking "what if". I figured that's a recipe for divorce if I've ever heard one. I broke it off, and they ended up getting married a coupleyears later.