Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Road Test

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera Road Test

Below from MotorWeek
Featured this Week on MotorWeek T.V. program
(Check you local listing for time/date/channel)

Member's, if you hit the BIG Lotto, would you consider
buying one ? I know that i'd love to test drive one 4-Sure
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD height=90 rowSpan=2 width=411></TD><TD height=10 colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END ADVERTISING 70X80 --><!-- BEGIN IMAGE & STATS -->

<TABLE width=300 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
ENGINE: 5.2-liter, direct-injection V10
HORSEPOWER: 562
TORQUE: 398 lb feet
0-60 mph: 3.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.1 seconds @ 128 mph
60-0 mph: 128 feet

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END IMAGE AND STATS --><!-- -->Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
Program #3025

There are two simple ways to make a car go faster: More power or less weight. And even in the realm of exotic performance cars, the quest for both never ends. This Gallardo Superleggera, or super lightweight, is Lamborghini's ultimate expression of radical performance. So let's grab this bull by the horns, and see if we can hang on!
And of course our arena of choice is the twisting two miles of Savannah, Georgia's Roebling Road Raceway. But even in such a familiar venue, this temperamental Italian would stretch the limits of our driving skills - or so we thought.
Approaching the low-slung Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera, you can't help but feel apprehensive. Sitting just 45.9 inches high and a smidge over 14 feet long, the precisely drawn contours tightly hug its 100.8 inch wheelbase.
From the ground-scraping front splitter, the sharply wedged and creased body rises quickly, forming a graceful, arched canopy over the cockpit and ends abruptly under a fixed carbon fiber rear wing.
The stance is very much like its namesake Toro: Crouching forward, poised to launch itself at any foolhardy toreador who ventures too close. You can practically hear it pawing the earth and snorting.
To justify the Superleggera badge, Lamborghini shaved 154 pounds from the standard Gallardo. Roughly half of that comes from the use of carbon fiber for the mirrors, engine cover, wing, side skirts and rear diffuser.
The Spartan interior accounts for the rest. Everything from the form-fitting sport seats to the strap door handles has been trimmed to the bare essentials. What's not made of carbon fiber is swathed in sueded leather.
Control buttons and shift paddles feel robust and work with precision. The racing seats are shy on padding, but supportive in all the right places and surprisingly comfortable.
No-nonsense gauges are dominated by two large dials for RPM and speed in front of the driver, with auxiliary gauges for oil and voltage readings placed on top of the dash. All are labeled in Italian.
On the track and up to speed, the Super is pure automotive adrenaline. Hurtle the Gallardo into a fast sweeper, and it responds with quick turn-ins and tenacious grip.
As speed increases, under-steer does come into play, not unexpected with an all-wheel-drive machine. But here's the kicker: the more gas you feed it, the harder this car grips the pavement, although finding the courage to step on the throttle when your instincts says Lift, does not come easy.
Lamborghini's viscous traction, all-wheel-drive system and limited-slip front and rear axles, aided by a 57 percent rear weight bias, combine to put the power where it belongs. Straight to the pavement, propelling the Superleggera from corner to corner like a screaming yellow dart.
All the while, your ears are being entertained by the piercing howl of a 5.2-liter, direct-injection V10 spinning at a sky-high 8000 RPM.
Power output is 562 horsepower and 398 pound-feet of torque.
From a standstill, our tester shot to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds. Launches were cleaner than the first Gallardo we tested 6 years ago, breaking traction only once on the 1-2 up shift en route to a blazing quarter-mile of 11.1 seconds at 128 miles per hour. Power builds quickly, and shifts come hard and fast, slapping your head into the seatback with each yank of the column-mounted paddles.
Lap after lap, the Lamborghini performed flawlessly and became easier to drive with each passing apex. Credit for that must go to the engineering stewardship of sister company Audi, since the Gallardo shares some mechanicals with their awesome R8.
This Teutonic bloodline enhances its credibility as a well-engineered supercar, yet it retains enough Italian passion to make even Casanova blush.
The Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera bottom line of $240,595 assures it will be reserved only for the most discerning and well-heeled bull fighters. The Gallardo Superleggera is a pure performance car, but also one of the most forgiving, easy-to-drive exotics we've ever seen. And we'll keep our red cape ready and waiting for the next chance at a running of this bull.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 AM

<TABLE style="WIDTH: auto" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
http://youtu.be/VWJQt3doBXA
Click above 2 view a Wild vid

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width="1%">

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=top>4 min - Mar 31, 2010 - Uploaded by autocar
Watch - and hear! - the lightweight gallardo in action. Read the drive review and see more pictures at ...
<CITE>www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJQt3doBXA</CITE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

More videos for Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera »
Click 4 more vid's

Last edited by Space; 06-25-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

That car is overcompensation at its finest.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Mod `Matt, I agree 100%...I still think `if I had big $'s, I'd still buy a ZR`1 Corvette & party or buy tires & parts with the extra $150K difference 4-Sure....WoW, it's a great dream to think about a North American Road trip in one of the above SuperSuper Exotic Rides 4-Sure WoW
I think a Space Kid in a ZR`1 could beat the Lambo ~> LOL
(Ok, maybe in one of my SpaceDreams: )
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD height=90 rowSpan=2 width=411></TD><TD height=10 colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END ADVERTISING 70X80 --><!-- BEGIN IMAGE & STATS -->

<TABLE width=300 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
ENGINE: 6.2 liter supercharged V8
HORSEPOWER: 638
TORQUE: 604 lb feet
0-60 mph: 3.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.3 seconds @ 130 mph
60-0 mph: 112 feet
EPA: 14 mpg city/ 20 mpg highway

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END IMAGE AND STATS --><!-- -->2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
*Note 2011 R faster : )
Program #2827
from MotorWeek

When we first tested the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 last fall, we came away gushing with praise. And why not? 638-horsepower, adjustable suspension, and Brembo brakes, all carefully tuned so that all previous Corvettes seem crude. We thought it was as close to a street legal Corvette race car as you can get - and now we've come to a race track to prove it.
We've got to hand it to Chevy's engineers. Whenever we feel they've created the ultimate production Corvette, they go and top themselves. We said it about the ZR1 in 1990 and 95, about the 1996 Grand Sport, and about the Z06 - twice! Now, here we go again. Say it with me: "The 2009 ZR1 is the ultimate production Corvette."
And a big part of what makes it so, lies under the carbon fiber hood. Peeking through the "engine window" will give you a hint, but this car isn't about being coy. Go ahead, throw 'er open and take a good look.
What you'll see is 6.2 liters of supercharged American V8, muscled up to the tune of 638 horsepower and 604 pound-feet of torque. The roots-type supercharger has a new 4-lobe rotor design and integrated intercooler to keep output stable even at peak RPMs. The engine is coupled to a high-capacity dual disc clutch and a close-ratio, race-ready, six-speed manual-only transmission.
When we did our preview test of the ZR1 at GM's Milford Proving Grounds last fall, we had to take their word for acceleration times. But, GM didn't lie. Even on this freezing Georgia morning, launching the ZR1 through our acceleration test is what we imagine riding a Navy catapult must feel like. Release the clutch at just above idle, feed in power as the massive rear tires fight for grip, and try to hang on as you slingshot to 60 in a scant 3.5 seconds and rip through the quarter-mile in 11.3 seconds at 130 miles-per- hour. That's brute force that even John Force can appreciate!!
When the road gets twisty, Mr. Force may lose interest, but the ZR1 certainly grabbed our attention - more like demanded it - navigating the two miles and nine turns of Roebling Road Raceway in what was to be MotorWeek record times, faster than any Porsche, BMW or Ferrari, including the mighty Enzo, that we've tested here in the last two decades.
The ZR1 shares its aluminum-intensive chassis with the Z06, but Corvette engineers modified the short-long arm suspension to better handle the extra-wide rubber and 20-spoke alloy wheels. Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires are designed just for this car: 285/30ZR19's up front and a pair of 335/25ZR20's at the rear.
We've said this before too, and it's even more so for the ZR1: This Corvette is the easiest-to-drive high performance car built today, bar none. But, the solid feel of the ZR1 will surprise even the most ardent Corvette fans.
Steering feedback, feel for the road and throttle response are telepathic in their reactions. GM's Magnetic Selective Ride Control delivers near-instant damping adjustments and a ride that is supple, never harsh, and all in a car capable of pulling more than 1g in the corners.
And the driver never feels out of control, so long as he does his part to maintain control, and believe me you do have to pay attention at these speeds!
Hauling the ZR1 down from triple digits is handled by Brembo multi-piston calipers clamping onto carbon-ceramic drilled rotors: a massive 15.5 inches up front and 15 in the rear. Panic stops from 60 took only 112 feet, and all in a very ho-hum manner.
Around town driving can be as docile as a Malibu, but evidence of the ZR1 beast within is just a slip of the right foot away.
One knock on the '90s ZR1 was its lack of visual distinction from lesser models. Well, lesson learned and problem solved here. The 2009 ZR1 wears specific carbon-fiber dual-port front fenders, the obvious power dome window hood, and a full-width body color spoiler across the rear. It's hard to miss it whether you're a Corvette fan or not.
Inside, the driver sits in familiar Corvette surroundings, but faces a ZR1-only gauge cluster with a boost readout and 220 miles-per-hour speedometer. The cabin is trimmed with ZR1 logos on the door sills and headrests.
Fully living up to its super car image, the Corvette ZR1 has Government Fuel Economy Ratings of 14 city and 20 highway on premium gas.
The Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 stickers at $103,970, including a $1,700 gas guzzler tax. While that's a big leap over the Z06, there's no denying the ZR1's performance and prestige gains either.
The ZR1 has once again put the bowtie brigade back on top, not just of the American performance car pile, but ready to take on the super car world too! GM ~> Thank You
http://youtu.be/ckNA9wskLFI
^^^Click above 4 Super Vid on the ZR-1 : )<!--This is the end of the Review-->

Last edited by Space; 06-25-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Mmm... Aesthetically, I'll take the lambo so long as it's not green. Everything else... 'Vette, hands down.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Mmm... Aesthetically, I'll take the lambo so long as it's not green. Everything else... 'Vette, hands down.
Hi `Ally, what color should we order 4 U ?
Please send you deposit to `Space : )
Yes, ZR`1 "Burn'in Rubber Down"
Thanks for your posts & all your contributions on the MCF
4-Sure

Old 06-25-2011, 12:56 PM

Black, please! The only color car I'll ever have! :p I get a discount, right, Space?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Black, please! The only color car I'll ever have! :p I get a discount, right, Space?

Yes Ally, you would get the special MCF Member Discount.
Until then , alls I can get you is SuperPic's of one

I really like this one

"2 dare 2 Dream in SpaceVision"

"Smok'in 4-Sure"