Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Keys to the Car lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy Keys to the Car lost

Good evening everyone... Unfortunately my wife has lost the keys to the Monte while walking the dog... We are going out again tomorrow to look for them (no spare available - dumb I know)... If we don't find them, what would I need to do?... My ownership is in the car, so I guess I'll have to call someone to jimmy the car open... Where can I get a new key, from the dealer?... How much are they approx...?... Is there an easier way of doing this?... Thanks,

Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Good evening everyone... Unfortunately my wife has lost the keys to the Monte while walking the dog... We are going out again tomorrow to look for them (no spare available - dumb I know)... If we don't find them, what would I need to do?... My ownership is in the car, so I guess I'll have to call someone to jimmy the car open... Where can I get a new key, from the dealer?... How much are they approx...?... Is there an easier way of doing this?... Thanks,
I always get a wire clothes hanger and push it through the weatherstripping and unlock the door (takes time and patience, unless your a crook lol). As far as a key goes idk how to go about getting a new one unless you change out the locks... I had this happen with my truck yesterday but I locked the doors and let the truck running like an idiot. I hit my passenger side window and it fell in the door, doubt that will work for ur Monte though...

Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I locked my keys in my monte once, had a very hard time trying to break in. Even with a slim jim i had no luck, couldn't hook the door lock either. Hopefully you'll find them

Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM

Couldnt you go to a GM dealer and give them the vin number n show them the title so they know you own it and get copies mailed to you? Thats what my grandpa did when he lost his harley keys.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Call a mobile lock smith. They can make you a key and get into your car. They should be able to give you an estimate over the phone.
I think AAA offers lock smith services as part of their benefit if you have them.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 02-26-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks for info everyone... I guess I'll contact a lock smith and the dealer and compare prices... Question though, ours keys have some sort of metal insert in them, is that a computer chip or some sort of security device?... Can a lock smith replicate that?... Thanks for all your help on this,

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Call a mobile lock smith. They can make you a key and get into your car. They should be able to give you an estimate over the phone.
I think AAA offers lock smith services as part of their benefit if you have them.
This is what I would do.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crusader SS
Thanks for info everyone... I guess I'll contact a lock smith and the dealer and compare prices... Question though, ours keys have some sort of metal insert in them, is that a computer chip or some sort of security device?... Can a lock smith replicate that?... Thanks for all your help on this,
A lock smith can replicate what ever key you have. The security/computer chip keys cost more. Making keys for my 02 PT Cruiser was quoted at 65 bucks a few years ago.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Our cars have no chip in them as far as I know. I bought my second key right of the rack at a hardware store.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Thanks everyone... Locksmith it is... I'll post back an update... What about the FOB?... Dealer?... Ebay?... Looking for lowest cost... Thanks again,

Quick Reply: Keys to the Car lost